The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

4 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Well it’s no secret that the same posters are defending the move tooth and nail.

Personally, I’m going to reserve on my concerns to wait and see what player the lightning end up drafting with our 1st round pick. That’ll give us a better idea on whether this was a mistake or not. 

A couple of years will certainly determine if we've won this trade of not. However, if we're in the playoffs again, then I'd argue it was a good trade no matter who Tampa picks.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

100%.  The cap crunch narrative has everyone hoping for a steal but instead Jim left some extra value on the table to pay a fair price and get the guy he wanted.  (That’s the way it looks to me, anyways)

Honestly, the name of the game is to improve your roster... not win perceived trades on social media.  If Miller makes us better than a perceived “value win” then in all for it.

Exactly. What the twerps on social media think mean absolutely nothing. They wouldn’t know what to do if they had the position. 

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Well it’s no secret that the same posters are defending the move tooth and nail.

Personally, I’m going to reserve on my concerns to wait and see what player the lightning end up drafting with our 1st round pick. That’ll give us a better idea on whether this was a mistake or not. 

And the same posters calling it a failure an guaranteed lotto pick...

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, KeslerWho? said:

Benning upgraded the wrong position.. We just drafted our top 6 winger.

Way too much for something we don't really need 

Never have too much of a good thing.  We were weak in winger prospects and Podkolzin won’t be here for two years.  We’re upgrading really well at forward looking to be one of the better offences next year.  Now we just need some defence changes and with what benning has been saying and done so far, you bet it’s gonna happen and we might be making some noise next year.  Yes it is a bit of an overpayment in my opinion but just think, this guy is similar to horvat who was 9th overall...we’re giving up a worse pick to get Miller.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You missed the point completely.

I'm showing that it could be either side of the coin. Everyone is just assuming top 10, when there's just as much chance it's 20th or later.

It's why it's impossible to fully evaluate the trade until all the values are known.

Even if it's late, this drafting team has shown it can find good players late in the 1st round.  Boeser is obviously good and McCann is turning into a player.  

41 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Dunno... but Podkolzin will be immensely better that a 10OA, and that’s what counts most.

Thanks Benning!

For sure, I wouldn't trade back Podkolzin for Zegras + + .  Speed, size, grit, determination. The Lion will get you!   Have to wait 2 years, in the meantime we roll with Bo and Miller and crew.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

But they had to give up someone, and they got maximum value doing. Plus they pulled it off right before him NTC kicked it. Excellent move. 

They've made alot of picks over the years so they have young players coming up. Cirelli, Joseph, Raddysh, Katchouk, exc.

they definitely have some talented scouts and management down in Tampa. Dont see us getting much from our picks other than a few top lotto selections that should be no brainer quality NHL players, even then Jake isnt fitting the bill for his selection and I can only hope he gets a proper shot to play top 6. 3rd liner is not what you want when draft a winger 6th overall! OJ, well lets hope he can stay healthy should be a serviceable D hopefully in the near future.

You need a home run player if your taking a W early in the 1st, D and C are so much more valuable and harder to trade for if and when you need one...see the JT miller trade, a team looking for cap relief still managed to get a 1st for him. 1st should never have been on the table imo

Life goes on, just please no Tyler Myers signing at a cap hit north of 6m for 5yrs or more...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

Uh yeah if it turns out to be a high pick it means we're a garbage team with no draft picks.  I'd say that's an issue.  Though not one Benning would have to worry about so he don't care. 

We do need a Miller on our roster but he's not a gamechanger.  If you're a meh team like the Canucks are, you shouldn't trade your 1st & 3rd unless it's a player that will change the franchise, IMO.  

So you're just going to expect the worst? Is that what I'm reading here? We'll have to agree to disagree on this but I get that some people can't stomach gutsy moves.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

I find it amusing that people are on here complaining about this trade and talking about how we need the draft pick etc - we rank top 5 in all of the prospect rankings I have seen. Giving up a 1st rounder and a 3rd to get a 26 yr old power forward who addresses a major need for this team - top 6 player is a risk I am more than comfortable having Benning take.

Starting next season when Hughes is an NHL player we won't.

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

All the BS that the owner tried to sell about not mortgaging the future was just that. BS

benning has an agenda to make the playoffs or he will be gone. 

Isnt that the goal?  To make the playoffs?  Or are we just accumulating draft picks to pick players?  

I dont like trading the 1st but the point of this whole thing is to make the playoffs.  I think the management team think we have our core set with Horvat/Boes/ep40/hughes/etc  now they are trying to fill the team out to support the core.

I dont get why fans ***** about pushing for the playoffs.  That's why were ****ing here.  This is the point.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Tanev at the deadline if he can stay healthy long enough...

Doubtful though. 

would have been nice if he could have been involved in Tampa deal even if we retained and gave up a lesser pick or prospect instead of that 1st. But yes, lets hope somehow Tanev stays healthy, plays unreal and JB does the right thing and cashes in on him at the TDL. Green just has to use him a bit less so he can hopefully stay healthy!

Brah, what are people crying about..you need to give some to get some..who knows what other teams were in it.

Also..

#10 pick was a steal

#40 pick looks awesome

and we got JT Miller, so far so good .

Now let's get some D.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3