The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

I think JT for a conditional 1st would've been fair. I think people focus and put a bit too much value on the 3rd and Mazanek.

Mazenek is a tossaway. The 3rd can take some convincing for people but honestly the hit rate isn't great anyway with 3rd round picks.

0.8% of third rounders from 2007-2014 have made an all star team. I pick this time frame because these are the player probably currently in their prime. That's 2 out of 240 players. Brayden Point and Vinny Trocheck

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Grape said:

I think JT for a conditional 1st would've been fair. I think people focus and put a bit too much value on the 3rd and Mazanek.

Mazenek is a tossaway. The 3rd can take some convincing for people but honestly the hit rate isn't great anyway with 3rd round picks.

0.8% of third rounders from 2007-2014 have made an all star team. I pick this time frame because these are the player probably currently in their prime. That's 2 out of 240 players. Brayden Point and Vinny Trocheck

Pretty much this. I think Mazanec's just going the otherway because another body needed to go the other way. We probably could have chosen anyone to go the other way, so it was our most expendable body.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Ok.  I just pulled in to Seattle.  Let's dissect this deal 

1.  He's slightly smaller but comparable to a Kevin Hayes.  Hayes was traded to Winnipeg for a 1st, 4th and solid prospect.  For 3 months.  Hayes is a winger Miller a C/W hybrid.  Miller is younger and more productive.  Hayes just signed for $7.14 million per year, Miller under contract for 4 years at a measly $5.25 million

2.  Just like that Sutter is expendable.  With retention.

3.  A centre of that level will get bank in free agency, see Bozak.

4.  He lifts the burden off of Horvat and Pettersson.

5.  The pick. It slides to 2021 if we miss the playoffs next year.  I've been saying next year is our bubble year for 2 years now.  We get another pick next year, no pick the following.

But by next season we will know what we have in.  DiPietro, Demko, Woo, Lind, Gadjovich, Gaudette, Madden, Brisebois and more.  

Honestly, while people may hate this deal.  In 2 years when this pick is going to Tampa, we're not going to mind much.  We cleaned up AGAIN.  Pettersson, Hughes, Pod-Goal-Zin plus more.

How can this be a bad deal?  Age fits.  Size good.  Shoots where we need.  Center/W.  Makes Sutter expendable.  Keep our pick where it matters.

I like this.  It's good.  I'm happy.  Let's revisit in 2 seasons and see.  This is coming from a guy who was mad about Shinkaruk being traded btw

I see JT Miller solely as a winger for the Canucks unless we get multiple C injuries. I dont think he does that well on faceoffs...???

I looked at this guy’s stats and he looks like a definite producer. Given his age and cap hit, he is an excellent acquisition. Well worth a first. I just wish it was for a premiere defenceman. 

I also just looked at Jett Woo’s recent stats and he looks ready. I wonder if JB is thinking the same.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure about him playing with Petey and Brock after watching Miller play for years now, I think he would have better chemistry with Bo and Pearson on a line that is just absolute hell to play against. We'll see what happens when we sign Panarin  :bigblush:

Panarin-Petey-Brock

Pearson-Bo-Miller

I just went from 6 to midnight.

Edited by FlyLow_
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

I looked at this guy’s stats and he looks like a definite producer. Given his age and cap hit, he is an excellent acquisition. Well worth a first. I just wish it was for a premiere defenceman. 

I also just looked at Jett Woo’s recent stats and he looks ready. I wonder if JB is thinking the same.

Woo may need another year or two. He is gonna be a stud tho! His favourite player is Shea Weber. ^^ I think he's gonna be a keeper. Bieksa like with possibly more offence!

• Cheers 1

I had knee jerk reactions to not only JT Miller, but also Podkolzin. The first is a...tough sell on a trade for “possibly” a middle six winger/centre. Tenth overall an even tougher sell to take a russian commited to the khl for another two years. 

I thought perhaps, that the trade was owner influence, but the draft picks still look like pure benning and brackett picks. 

Its easy to get worked up right now, and im sketchy about benning basically going “all in for playoffs”, but you cant discount their track record....scouting nor trading. 

It is pretty scary though, picking up another possible “loui” and giving up a first rounder for him. Sigh

• Wat 2

Vancouver traded Kesler and a third-round pick in the 2015 NHL Draft to Anaheim for center Nick Bonino, defenseman Luca Sbisa and Anaheim's first-round and third-round picks in the 2014 NHL Draft (Nos. 24 and 85).

Miller is on par or scoring more than Kesler at the same point career wise. Yes, I know Kesler went on to have two 70+ Seasons and a Selke. Just pointing out that Miller appears to be on a similar trajectory so maybe it’s not too much of an overpayment?

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

the only Canuck 'fans' that are overreacting to this trade are those who listen to anti-Benning propaganda radio aka tsn1040 feeding them the negativity. 

if J.T Miller was a free agent right now he'd probably cost us Kevin Hayes money (7m)

Kevin Hayes is older by a year and has a career high of 49 points. J.T Miller hit 56 points with the Rangers and the only reason his point totals were low on Tampa because they were stacked offensively with Kucherov, Stamkos and Point taking most of the offensive zone starts.

the fact that he hit 47 points as a shutdown forward should be optimistic because he will have top line minutes playing with Petey and Boeser. He probably hits 60 points next season.

people are overreacting like we gave up an unprotected lottery pick for Marleau or something, he's 26 yrs old versatile and is just hitting his prime ffs. The price to acquire a player like that would cost a lot more than a 1st round pick if Tampa wasn't in cap trouble. 

the 2021 draft doesn't seem as deep as next year, and that's the year our pick is protected. In two years from now Petey, Brock, Demko and Hughes will be entering their prime and we add the Russian bull Podkolzin to the top 6... we will not be a lottery team by 2021.

Nice to see some positivity.  I just read the Tampa hf board. The fans there are not thinking they robbed us by any means. They feel they got a fair deal with a good NHL player and he was only moved so they can resign Point.

We got a good player and I am excited for next season. Just need a d JB......come on!!  ::D

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

JT knows how much rain Vancouver gets right...coming from Tampa and all, but he was in NY so he avoids the dumps of snow at least. I am joking btw!

Nice to see him supposedly say Vancouver is his favourite NHL city, hard for me to believe just based on him being an American but good way to make a solid impact with the fans by saying that.

Now, what # is he wearing!?

He is Canadian. He wears 6 with Tampa.

Edit: hockey news said he was born in Sault Ste Marie but they are wrong as other sites and posters pointed out. I see he wears 10 lol.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

JT knows how much rain Vancouver gets right...coming from Tampa and all, but he was in NY so he avoids the dumps of snow at least. I am joking btw!

Nice to see him supposedly say Vancouver is his favourite NHL city, hard for me to believe just based on him being an American but good way to make a solid impact with the fans by saying that.

Now, what # is he wearing!?

Believe it or not Vancouver is many players favourite road city. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Ok.  I just pulled in to Seattle.  Let's dissect this deal 

1.  He's slightly smaller but comparable to a Kevin Hayes.  Hayes was traded to Winnipeg for a 1st, 4th and solid prospect.  For 3 months.  Hayes is a winger Miller a C/W hybrid.  Miller is younger and more productive.  Hayes just signed for $7.14 million per year, Miller under contract for 4 years at a measly $5.25 million

2.  Just like that Sutter is expendable.  With retention.

3.  A centre of that level will get bank in free agency, see Bozak.

4.  He lifts the burden off of Horvat and Pettersson.

5.  The pick. It slides to 2021 if we miss the playoffs next year.  I've been saying next year is our bubble year for 2 years now.  We get another pick next year, no pick the following.

But by next season we will know what we have in.  DiPietro, Demko, Woo, Lind, Gadjovich, Gaudette, Madden, Brisebois and more.  

Honestly, while people may hate this deal.  In 2 years when this pick is going to Tampa, we're not going to mind much.  We cleaned up AGAIN.  Pettersson, Hughes, Pod-Goal-Zin plus more.

How can this be a bad deal?  Age fits.  Size good.  Shoots where we need.  Center/W.  Makes Sutter expendable.  Keep our pick where it matters.

I like this.  It's good.  I'm happy.  Let's revisit in 2 seasons and see.  This is coming from a guy who was mad about Shinkaruk being traded btw

Agreed with most of what you said. However, Sutter is expendable because of Gaudette. Miller, according to what both JB and Green have said, will play with either Petey or Bo. He will not be centering the 3rd line.

• Cheers 1