The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

3 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Stole this reddit for all the naysayers. This is a great trade.

Situation: Listen, y'all have got it all wrong. Yes Tampa is cap strapped, but J.T. Miller is a very valuable player. Tampa absolutely wasn't lacking to find a trading partner for Miller, and they certainly didn't have to lower his price tag to trade him. Multiple teams would have been into Miller, and they would have bid each other up. If you wanted the Canucks to put Tampa to the screws, the Canucks would have ended up with Killorn or Tyler Johnson for a cheap asset cost. They were never getting Gourde or Miller for a cheap asset cost because Tampa would have had multiple trading partner options. Tampa being cap strapped is the reason he's even available at all.

Overview: J.T. Miller is about as close to a Swiss Army Knife as you can get. He's good at every aspect of hockey, and fills a massive need at the perfect age. You want a comparable? Look no further than his new linemate, Bo Horvat. Yes, Bo Horvat is still improving while Miller may not be, but J.T. Miller plays a similar style of game and they're going to be a fantastic duo. Edit: Another comparable would be T.J. Oshie.

Offense: Miller is a VERY good offensive player. Until last season, he had increasing point totals in every year. (23, 43, 56, 58). Then last year, he was buried in an incredibly deep Tampa team and pushed to third line duties. We'll get more into why later. Even on a third line role, Miller managed to put up 47 points. Coming into Vancouver, he definitely makes a return to the top 6, and likely returns to a 55-60 point level. That puts him in conversation to be potentially the Canucks second highest scoring forward by the way.

Defense: J.T. Miller is a very good two way winger. He battles well along the boards, he bangs with his body, and he backchecks well. Remember when I said I'd talk about why he was a 3rd liner on TB? It wasn't because of a lack of offense, it was because he was one of their best checking players. For only the second time in his career, he started more in the defensive zone than the offensive zone last season. What did he do there? Oh just set a new personal high in CF%, no bigs.

Conclusion: J.T. Miller is a fantastic pick up, and at 26, will be a top 6 forward lock for the next 6-7 years. He comes cost controlled, and looks to be a natural fit with Bo for years to come. At a very fair price of a second-half 1st and a 3rd, this is a fantastic deal.

It’s a fantastic deal unless the first rounder is a lottery pick. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Agreed with most of what you said. However, Sutter is expendable because of Gaudette. Miller, according to what both JB and Green have said, will play with either Petey or Bo. He will not be centering the 3rd line.

Gaudette needs to show he can handle more defensive responsibilities before that should happen. Otherwise Horvat will get too much defensive load

It occurs to me that Podkolzin is the insurance against not having a first rounder in 2020/2021. If the Canucks can’t put it together within the next two years, Podkolzin will, in theory, make up for not having a 1st rounder by the time he’s ready to join the team. 

Benning definitely won’t be around to see that unless the Canucks are a playoff team this coming season though. 

5 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

Please tell me Ohio didn't become a province!

huh?

The hockey news says he was born in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario. Are they wrong?

Edit: weird...other sites say Ohio. Interesting lol.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

2 minutes ago, shazzam said:

Gaudette needs to show he can handle more defensive responsibilities before that should happen. Otherwise Horvat will get too much defensive load

Fair enough. My main point was the Canucks did not get Miller to centre a 3rd line. They got him to play in the top 6 - they said so.

3 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

For a hockey mad market thrs alot of dumb and uneducated fans on this board. This is a good deal for our club.

Im sorry but there are a lot of very well educated hockey pundits who feel that it was too high of a price to pay .   They like the player , they think he makes us better but they feel it was a high price to pay ..    having that opinion doesn't make people on this board stupid or uneducated ..    

I get that you love this team .. I love this team just as much .   Time will tell if this is a good deal for our club ..   If we miss the playoffs the next 2 years , well see how much you'll love this deal .. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Smart guy!! Where else do you find authentic and yet inexpensive sushi, pho, dim sum, donair, kimchi all in one city and with beaches and skiing options close by??? 

Good chance he re-signs in 4 years time? B)

3 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

Im sorry but there are a lot of very well educated hockey pundits who feel that it was too high of a price to pay .   They like the player , they think he makes us better but they feel it was a high price to pay ..    having that opinion doesn't make people on this board stupid or uneducated ..    

I get that you love this team .. I love this team just as much .   Time will tell if this is a good deal for our club ..   If we miss the playoffs the next 2 years , well see how much you'll love this deal .. 

Just because they're paid for their opinions doesn't mean they're smart... Kypreos, MacLean, Button, Milbury and Sekeres to name a few are utter morons.

Edited by canuck73_3

5 minutes ago, Losing With Pride said:

It’s a fantastic deal unless the first rounder is a lottery pick. 

The likely hood of that happening is fairly low. The Canucks have a young team that was being carried hard by 3 players. Adding a guy like Miller, another UFA winger, and a guy like Gardiner is going to change the way this team looks on the ice.

The Canucks are finally adding points to this team, surrounding the core with a supporting cast.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

I had knee jerk reactions to not only JT Miller, but also Podkolzin. The first is a...tough sell on a trade for “possibly” a middle six winger/centre. Tenth overall an even tougher sell to take a russian commited to the khl for another two years. 

I thought perhaps, that the trade was owner influence, but the draft picks still look like pure benning and brackett picks. 

Its easy to get worked up right now, and im sketchy about benning basically going “all in for playoffs”, but you cant discount their track record....scouting nor trading. 

It is pretty scary though, picking up another possible “loui” and giving up a first rounder for him. Sigh

Why the hell wouldnt he go all in for the playoffs?  Isn't that the point for the entire existence of the league?  To win the Cup?

• Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Vegas and San Jose (pending Sharks health) are the only locks in the Pacific, Calgary is still inconsistent and need to address goaltending with limited cap space is the only other tough team to beat out. Edmonton is a tire fire, Ducks rebuilding, Kings are old and Arizona is a WC contender at best for now. 

A couple of smart FA additions and the improved top 6 Canucks could make a run at 3rd or a WC spot as early as next year. 

Calgary has a much better roster top to bottom than the Canucks. Only spot where the Canucks are stronger is in goal. 

• Upvote 1