The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Just because they're paid for their opinions doesn't mean they're smart... Kypreos, MacLean, Button, Milbury and Sekeres to name a few are utter morons.

pfffff  ..  everyone knows mike milbury was one of the greatest gm's of all time  ...     His  hockey iq is equivalent to a Scotty Bowman ..

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, captainhorvat said:

Gonna love this deal even more when Jt Miller has a career year and drops minimum 60 points next season.

I think every fan here wants that to happen ..  We would all like to come out on the right side of this ..    

Edited by Lulover88

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Why the hell wouldnt he go all in for the playoffs?  Isn't that the point for the entire existence of the league?  To win the Cup?

I disagree, not at this stage anyway. The way the league is built now, it seems to me that you draft well, keep a constant influx of talent coming through the system, and “one” year your talent and depth overpowers your opponent. 

You can build the greatest team ever, but at the end of the day....one fluke injury (malhotra at the end of a season), or a terrible unprecedented call (rome) can make or break a season, let alone playoffs. 

Better to get more shots in the gun instead of going right for a head shot is what im saying. 

• Wat 1

27 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Ok.  I just pulled in to Seattle.  Let's dissect this deal 

1.  He's slightly smaller but comparable to a Kevin Hayes.  Hayes was traded to Winnipeg for a 1st, 4th and solid prospect.  For 3 months.  Hayes is a winger Miller a C/W hybrid.  Miller is younger and more productive.  Hayes just signed for $7.14 million per year, Miller under contract for 4 years at a measly $5.25 million

2.  Just like that Sutter is expendable.  With retention.

3.  A centre of that level will get bank in free agency, see Bozak.

4.  He lifts the burden off of Horvat and Pettersson.

5.  The pick. It slides to 2021 if we miss the playoffs next year.  I've been saying next year is our bubble year for 2 years now.  We get another pick next year, no pick the following.

But by next season we will know what we have in.  DiPietro, Demko, Woo, Lind, Gadjovich, Gaudette, Madden, Brisebois and more.  

Honestly, while people may hate this deal.  In 2 years when this pick is going to Tampa, we're not going to mind much.  We cleaned up AGAIN.  Pettersson, Hughes, Pod-Goal-Zin plus more.

How can this be a bad deal?  Age fits.  Size good.  Shoots where we need.  Center/W.  Makes Sutter expendable.  Keep our pick where it matters.

I like this.  It's good.  I'm happy.  Let's revisit in 2 seasons and see.  This is coming from a guy who was mad about Shinkaruk being traded btw

I think the reason a lot of fans are upset is because it seems like an unnecessary forced trade, to push a rebuilding team into a "playoff spot"...This seems more like a trade that would be made by a SC contending team.

Nobody is arguing that Miller isnt a good asset, but giving up a 1st and 3rd is something that can haunt you years down the road.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Translation:

"I might be playing with who? Pettersson?! Are you #$%@'ing kidding me? Hell ya I'm excited!"

:lol:

14 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

Im sorry but there are a lot of very well educated hockey pundits who feel that it was too high of a price to pay .   They like the player , they think he makes us better but they feel it was a high price to pay ..    having that opinion doesn't make people on this board stupid or uneducated ..    

I get that you love this team .. I love this team just as much .   Time will tell if this is a good deal for our club ..   If we miss the playoffs the next 2 years , well see how much you'll love this deal .. 

13 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Just because they're paid for their opinions doesn't mean they're smart... Kypreos, MacLean, Button, Milbury and Sekeres to name a few are utter morons.

Those 'educated hockey pundits' livelihood and industry also rely on cultivating controversy and talking points. 2+2 = Potato?

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Translation:

"I might be playing with who? Pettersson?! Are you #$%@'ing kidding me? Hell ya I'm excited!"

:lol:

Those 'educated hockey pundits' livelihood and industry also rely on cultivating controversy and talking points. 2+2 = Potato?

What can I say that will draw people to my twitter account. So many two faced reporters out there. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

I think the reason a lot of fans are upset is because it seems like an unnecessary forced trade, to push a rebuilding team into a "playoff spot"...This seems more like a trade that would be made by a SC contending team.

Nobody is arguing that Miller isnt a good asset, but giving up a 1st and 3rd is something that can haunt you years down the road.

A player like jt miller and with his age is not the type that gets picked up by contending team. Hes the guy that stays on your roster but since tampas in cap hell he had to go.