The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

1 minute ago, babalu said:

Hey that one darft pick has turned into:

Horvat 

Boeser

Pettersson

Hughes

That is the quality of player we are giving up by surrendering our first.

I find your lack of faith in Petey, Boes, Bo, Hughes, OJ and Demko disturbing.

If you think those picks are so fantastic, why don't you believe they can lead the team to the playoffs in the next two years?

• Cheers 4

I like JT Miller

I don't like having to give up a 1st for him.

50yrs of being a Canuck fan and I can't help but think we win the lottery in 2 yrs

I will be interested in seeing the prices paid in other trades this offseason around the league.  What other teams get for their 1st round picks in particular. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Spicolee said:

Or, the pick is deferred until 2021 and we win the lottery. 

Exactly, this has the potential to be another Ottawa situation. Just because it's protected this year doesn't mean it is the following year. We may have just given up a top 5 pick.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, babalu said:

Hey that one draft pick has turned into:

Horvat 

Boeser

Pettersson

Hughes

We gave up a 1st for a former 1st round pick in his prime.  Basically fast tracked a 1st by giving up a mid to late 1st

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

If Miller's going to be at LW, I hope that means Baertschi is on his way out then. Otherwise, they've got no balance at C, with 3 lefties and 1 RH on the 4th line. Assuming Gaudette is in the press box or traded, of course.

Yes, lots of lefties. I do see potential in a 4 man 4th line though. Willie D, is that you?

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JTM is 218 pounds, skilled, puts up 50 points, plays all three forward positions, is hard to play against, is 26, and signed to a great four year contract.  He’s a really good guy for our team.  

A top six gritty, skilled, heavy bodied, versatile, locked up for a decent cap hit, player that fills a need really good add to the roster imho. A bit pricy but maybe not so much with the conditional 1st ... 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, babalu said:

Hey that one draft pick has turned into:

Horvat 

Boeser

Pettersson

Hughes

It's also Schroeder, Jensen, Shinkaruk, and countless other duds over the history of the franchise. 

The west is probably going to suck, so making the playoffs is a distinct possibility, especially through adding a top6 winger who actually wants to be here. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I find your lack of faith in Petey, Boes, Bo, Hughes, OJ and Demko disturbing.

If you think those picks are so fantastic, why don't you believe they can lead the team to the playoffs in the next two years?

Never said they couldn't. We took Boeser at 23. What ever that pick ends up being is still an over payment imo.

• Wat 1

5 minutes ago, atillaMYhun said:

I like JT Miller

I don't like having to give up a 1st for him.

50yrs of being a Canuck fan and I can't help but think we win the lottery in 2 yrs

I will be interested in seeing the prices paid in other trades this offseason around the league.  What other teams get for their 1st round picks in particular. 

If this ends being a lottery pick in 2021 thn we have bigger problems. Which wont be the case.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Can we stop comparing him to the Hayes deal? Hayes was overpaid and overhyped. Should we compare this trade to the Subban deal and wonder how we didn't get him for a 2nd round pick? 

Cap dump for Nashville 

1 minute ago, babalu said:

Exactly, this has the potential to be another Ottawa situation. Just because it's protected this year doesn't mean it is the following year. We may have just given up a top 5 pick.

or it has the potential to boost Petey, Boes and Bo's game up significantly, to say nothing of Miller's, who could hit 60-70 points playing with Petey and Boes.  No one is saying it's not a gamble, but they are in a position to gamle a bit now.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Quite frankly, I think this cap dump take is beyond stupid. A cap dump is a player with no value. Miller clearly had a lot of value around the league. We can't just ignore that because Tampa is up against the cap. Maybe you get the player at a discount if the other GM is desperate but this clearly wasn't the case. 30 other NHL teams would love to have Miller on their team. Did we over pay? Probably. But this narrative that we paid significant assets for someone's cap dump is just plain stupid. We paid significant assets for a very valuable player. 

I can’t believe people don’t have perspective. Obviously by “cap dump” it doesn’t mean it so literally for as if some useless player.

It’s not different than had the Leafs had to move Nylander. He would be their quote on quote “cap dump” even though they’d still get a return. But it wouldn’t be the same return let’s say they would have got at the start of the year due to everyone knowing they’re stuck financially.

Likewise, Miller like Nylander is a top6 (2nd line) player and would/could be used as sacrificed “cap dumps” for their respective teams. However, the Canucks paid a premium for Miller when it didn’t make sense to. And at the same time, the Bolts freed up cap (“cap dump” - again, not literally in this sense) and didn’t have to bite the bullet. We let them go Scott Free and even added a sweetener with a 3rd rounder. Terrible asset management and value by JB here despite getting a good player. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, babalu said:

well, the last two drafts haven't been top 5 picks and it's highly unlikely they starting trending downward now.

• Cheers 1

And for anyone that’s far up JB’s ass being that much of a homer who doesn’t acknowledge it as bad value, just think:

We gave up more value to get Miller than NJ did to get Subban. Dmen are more valuable than forwards. Miller isn’t even a 1st liner whereas Subban is a top line dman and a Norris winner. 

...perspective...

Edited by Generational.EP40
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 2