The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

1 hour ago, danaimo said:

Apples and oranges my friend.  Subban is 30yrs old, cap hit of $9m and coming of a poor year (by his standards).  Miller is in prime of his career, reasonable cap hit, 5 yrs contract and plenty of upside.

That's exactly what I was saying. It's an apple and oranges comparison. 

4 minutes ago, brownky said:

It's also Schroeder, Jensen, Shinkaruk, and countless other duds over the history of the franchise. 

The west is probably going to suck, so making the playoffs is a distinct possibility, especially through adding a top6 winger who actually wants to be here. 

Hogdson as well

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Let me ask you folks.

26 year old Miller at 5.5M for next 4 years versus 27 year old Panarin for 10M next 8 or 9 years?

Both top 6 forwards and produce. One obviously more than the other. 

I’m thinking this may have been the better option. 

lol

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, atillaMYhun said:

I like JT Miller

I don't like having to give up a 1st for him.

50yrs of being a Canuck fan and I can't help but think we win the lottery in 2 yrs

I will be interested in seeing the prices paid in other trades this offseason around the league.  What other teams get for their 1st round picks in particular. 

If Miller lives up to his billing, then his contract is going to be very valuable in 2 years.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

I can’t believe people don’t have perspective. Obviously by “cap dump” it doesn’t mean it so literally for as if some useless player.

It’s not different than had the Leafs had to move Nylander. He would be their quote on quote “cap dump” even though they’d still get a return. But it wouldn’t be the same return let’s say they would have got at the start of the year due to everyone knowing they’re stuck financially.

Likewise, Miller like Nylander is a top6 (2nd line) player and would/could be used as sacrificed “cap dumps” for their respective teams. However, the Canucks paid a premium for Miller when it didn’t make sense to. And at the same time, the Bolts freed up cap (“cap dump” - again, not literally in this sense) and didn’t have to bite the bullet. We let them go Scott Free and even added a sweetener with a 3rd rounder. Terrible asset management and value by JB here despite getting a good player. 

that's one of the dumbest arguments I've read.  Just because a team is close to the cap doesn't mean they just start handing out players just entering their prime years for free.  Miller was a mid 1st who is actually fulfilling his potential and will likely have a better career than whoever is picked with that first.

He's not some bum 37 year old on a $8m contract, stop acting like it's the same scenario.  Nylander would likely garner an unprotected first and a blue chip prospect.

• Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, babalu said:

Never said they couldn't. We took Boeser at 23. What ever that pick ends up being is still an over payment imo.

Are you seriously suggesting that if the pick turns into a complete bust then this is an overpayment?  If Miller scores a single point then we are ahead in this trade.   Go and do some homework and find out what the average first round pick turns in to.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Phat Fingers said:

If Miller lives up to his billing, then his contract is going to be very valuable in 2 years.  

that is a mostly ignored element to this deal.  IF he comes in and plays with Petey and lights it up, his value will go through the roof on that contract.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, captainhorvat said:

Jt Miller will be next seasons Mika Zibanejad based on point production jump.

Miller scoring 70+ points would make people forget about giving up a 1st round pick real quick. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Shouldn't any player playing regularly with them score 60 pts?

Burrows didn't regularly score 60 pts when he was playing with the Sedins in their prime, so I fail to see your point.

Does that comment mean there is no competition for the position, it is gifted? What if Boeser does the Nylander thing and demands a Mathews contract? What does Benning do then? Not probable but as possible as anything.

Who else would slate in on that slot? The legit top 6 forward gets the spot unless someone beats him out for it, which is unlikely to say the least. Also, no, Boeser pulling a Nylander is not "as possible as anything". Anybody that knows anything about the guy knows that.

What about Gaudette? I thought posters were pushing him into that level?

Nobody was pushing him to that level yet.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

And for anyone that’s far up JB’s ass being that much of a homer who doesn’t acknowledge it as bad value, just think:

We gave up more value to get Miller than NJ did to get Subban. Dmen are more valuable than forwards. Miller isn’t even a 1st liner whereas Subban is a top line dman and a Norris winner. 

...perspective...

How is it bad value when he hasnt even played a game for us yet? How do we know he cant put up 60-70 points next season?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Likewise, Miller like Nylander is a top6 (2nd line) player and would/could be used as sacrificed “cap dumps” for their respective teams. However, the Canucks paid a premium for Miller when it didn’t make sense to. And at the same time, the Bolts freed up cap (“cap dump” - again, not literally in this sense) and didn’t have to bite the bullet. We let them go Scott Free and even added a sweetener with a 3rd rounder. Terrible asset management and value by JB here despite getting a good player. 

Why do you think Miller should have come at a discount? There's 30 other NHL teams that could use size and scoring. It's not like Miller had a NTC and would only accept a trade to us. The fact that TB was up against the cap meant nothing other than that they were looking to trade Miller. The other 30 NHL teams set the market, not any 1 GM. Like it or not, that's the market price for acquiring a player like Miller. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Let me ask you folks.

26 year old Miller at 5.5M for next 4 years versus 27 year old Panarin for 10M next 8 or 9 years?

Both top 6 forwards and produce. One obviously more than the other. 

I’m thinking this may have been the better option. 

Disagree. Panarin would be awesome and would have preferred to overpay him. He is an elite top line player. I am not sure you can the say the same about jt miller. I hope I am wrong and jt miller lights it up on the Canucks.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

well, the last two drafts haven't been top 5 picks and it's highly unlikely they starting trending downward now.

I sure hope you are right. 

Just missing the playoffs and then winning the lottery would be our luck. 

Just now, stawns said:

that is a mostly ignored element to this deal.  IF he comes in and plays with Petey and lights it up, his value will go through the roof on that contract.

Purely hypothetical, but if two years down the line he's put up multiple 50+ point seasons, which is pretty likely (barring injury), his trade value skyrockets. 

• Upvote 4