The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

1 minute ago, Spicolee said:

I sure hope you are right. 

Just missing the playoffs and then winning the lottery would be our luck. 

It's a risk, no doubt, but a pretty small one, imo.  As another poster said, JB making this deal is saying to Petey, Boes, Bo, QH, OJ, Demko, Jake "I have faith that you can get us where we want to be"

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Spicolee said:

Or, the pick is deferred until 2021 and we win the lottery. 

I don't see us out of the playoffs in two years. With the addition of Miller we have a solid shot at next years playoffs. And if we are as bad as you seem to believe we will be, we have two years to trade for a replacement 1st rounder. Making it a low risk trade.

You need to trade something to get something. I doubt there's a GM in the league that wouldn't be giddy getting a JT Miller in the bottom half of the first round.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Purely hypothetical, but if two years down the line he's put up multiple 50+ point seasons, which is pretty likely (barring injury), his trade value skyrockets. 

yup, he could easily bring a first and prospect back if he clicks in Van.

Just now, danaimo said:

More than that, Even if he only puts up 50 points per year he will still do better than the average 1st round pick.

People, please read the above. Stop being so damn negative and appreciate the player we just got (even though I would have preferred a defenceman)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Purely hypothetical, but if two years down the line he's put up multiple 50+ point seasons, which is pretty likely (barring injury), his trade value skyrockets. 

Hypothetically, no team will give up what we gave to get Miller because we paid a premium which looks to be a lottery pick 2 years down the road. 

The Canucks are the worst team record wise over the past 4 years so the onus is on the Canucks to prove they can become a playoff team and not give Tampa what atm looks to be a lottery pick.....not the other way around which is what people have to understand here.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Why?  Because he made a hockey trade that will help the team, and all the young guys, now?  No one likes giving up a first, but it's time to start winning and pushing hard for the playoffs.

Benning was a major part of building a Cup winner in Boston, he knows what he's doing.

I'm open to be proven wrong. I believe Miller is a very good, even an ideal player fit. A notch well above Sutter, and directly in a position of need. 2 way, hard nosed top 6 winger who can play with talent. And check, bang the boards, help create a harder play style. I'm also not a Benning hater.  I like the vast majority, and net result of his work to date. The player target is not my concern.  

Admittedly, I have been on board for what has turned out to be some of Bennings mistakes; signing Eriksson, trading for Gudbrandson. So I have never criticized him for that. But I thought we had young C depth in Horvat, McCann, Gaudette was trending, vets Sutter & Sedin where we did not create a vacuum.  Guddy ''should have filled'' an important need. 

Nor do I suggest build implicitly through the draft. But I do believe in trading from strength. ie too many right wing prospects, and missing a D? Trade a RW prospect.  And my real gut feel is we did not accumulate enough young assets, busting down the door? Guys like Madden, Lockwood who also has to not go UFA, Lind, Brisbois, are not sure things. IMO we don't have the depth to trade picks from a position of strength. My model was LA's. When they had soo many young players, they did not have room for Simmonds & Schenn. Had guys coming to replace Jack Johnson.  They traded those young guys then, for veteran help like Miller. And even then, they still had rookies good enough to make their championship calibre line up, fill roles, from their prospect pool. 

Hey? Miller 26.  When Hughes and Petey's contracts are up in 2 years. Maybe we'll trade him for value, get back 1st rounder, or more? And we will sign his NYR line mate Zuccarello to a 3 year deal, and do the same in 2 years.  And I will have had unjustified concern.

Hey, Hey?? Maybe Lockwood will be a 4th line forward next year, Lind 2knd & Madden a great tandem killing penalties with Gaudette another year from now. Maybe we do have the strength on the farm. An alternate take on unjustified concern. Hey, Hey, Hey, is the real bet we are making here.     

I remain of the belief there is real pressure to improve from ownership.  And we're not playing quite patient enough.  I also believe our biggest need is D. I don't think we even drafted a D today? In any round. And we will also may be cashing such futures to improve our blue line as well.  Its a dangerous game.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

If Miller lives up to his billing, then his contract is going to be very valuable in 2 years.  

Yea I am wondering if we can trade him for a first in 2 years?

Why does it seem we never have other teams first coming?

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

The three "ok" prospects were, by draft, two 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder. Add a 1st and a conditional 1st that turned into a 2nd. Way to spin things.

Vlad is 26 and the other two are 21 years old. By no means is there a star among them. 

Then there was a 28th pick in 2018.

The 58th pick for 2019.

I guess if we trade Virtanen to someone we can tell they are getting a 6th overall pick. Right.  :blink:

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So now they gotta keep going, there committed to being playoff team now & no longer rebuilding.

Need atleast 1 if not 2 D. And maybe need another FWD too.

Hughes Juolevi Woo

Honestly Id be cool with an upgrade on D as long as were moving one in part of the deal I want to keep sopts open for these guys to move into. I'm not really big on going out and getting a FA D on a long term with $$ attached. If JB can pull a hockey trade for one of Tanev Hutton I'm game 

Edited by hammertime

13 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

And for anyone that’s far up JB’s ass being that much of a homer who doesn’t acknowledge it as bad value, just think:

We gave up more value to get Miller than NJ did to get Subban. Dmen are more valuable than forwards. Miller isn’t even a 1st liner whereas Subban is a top line dman and a Norris winner. 

...perspective...

You should see what Tampa paid to get JT Miller. 

...perspective...

21 minutes ago, babalu said:

Hey that one draft pick has turned into:

Horvat 

Boeser

Pettersson

Hughes

That is the quality of player we are giving up by surrendering our first.

For every first round pick we choose to remember, there are many others that we choose to forget.

Nathan Smith

Patrick White

Brendan Gaunce

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1