The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

Uh - Sutter, Beagle and Gaudette are all right-handed....

And it isn't determined yet where Miller will play - whether that's on EP's wing - or whether he takes draws and defensive responsibities on that line to lighten the impact on EP.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter much.  The thing is - they have a right handed sniper in Boeser for that line - so I'm not sure why it would matter much, if at all.

You’re actually counting on “franchise cornerstone” (GMJB-speak) Brandon Sutter to be healthy enough to make a contribution and/or finish the season as a Canuck? Yikes! That’s setting the bar pretty low, bud. And, you really see Gaudette centering the 3rd line next year? You’re sure this is a playoff team if he is? I’m not.  

• Wat 1

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

Part of it is there will always be automatic outrage whenever a 1st round pick is moved, but also the timing of the Marleau trade.  As a result, a false equivocation has been presumed between two very different situations, same as the false equivocation with the Ottawa acquiring of Duchene.

Apparently a "fair" return for Miller would have been Tampa including their first rounder.

Or a “Mystery Box”. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

I did some digging around to look for some more recent comparables on what a top 6 forward would cost to acquire.

so i came up with the Kane trade to the Sharks... 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sabres-trade-forward-evander-kane-sharks/

the Sharks gave up a conditional 1st, conditional 4th in 2020 and a prospect/project in Danny O'Reagan.  

Kevin Hayes trade cost the Jets a 1st a conditional 4th and a decent prospect Brendan Lemieux...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/winnipeg-jets-acquire-kevin-hayes-new-york-rangers/

We gave up a 1st in 2021, a 3rd and a throw in Mazanec for arguably the better player of the three on a MUCH better contract and cap hit. 

Kane 7m - Hayes 7m - Miller 5.2m

JB is going to look like a genius if he clicks with Petey and Brock and puts up 60 points and all his haters will go on hiding. 

Great work! 1531302516_trophy1.jpg.41fd9e2d762195c9b33b85c8dba7f549.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Well if we miss the playoffs next year Tampa has to wait another year for that pick. Next year Tryamkin's KHL contract expires and he can return. Do you like our chances better with him on the back end for the following year? And all of this ignores possible ufa additions, more prospects possibly surprising, and other possible trades that can improve the team even further.

I see it as a pretty decent deal considering Tampa has to wait up to two years to get that pick. 

Tryamkin's agent said his KHL contract expires in April, so we may even see him before the end of the season. He's going to play a key role for us moving forward. That would be huge to have Tryamkin out there watching Podkolzin'a back on and off the ice.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DarkGhost said:

The funny thing is everyone is complaining about giving away a 1st...when the guy we got is exactly who we’d be hoping a guy we drafted would turn into! 

Lol we are hoping the kid we drafted 10th turns into a 50-60 point player for us. TJ Miller already is that guy. 

No idea why anyone would be upset about this.

Need to have other accounts so I could upvote this more

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

I did some digging around to look for some more recent comparables on what a top 6 forward would cost to acquire.

so i came up with the Kane trade to the Sharks... 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sabres-trade-forward-evander-kane-sharks/

the Sharks gave up a conditional 1st, conditional 4th in 2020 and a prospect/project in Danny O'Reagan.  

Kevin Hayes trade cost the Jets a 1st a conditional 4th and a decent prospect Brendan Lemieux...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/winnipeg-jets-acquire-kevin-hayes-new-york-rangers/

We gave up a 1st in 2021, a 3rd and a throw in Mazanec for arguably the better player of the three on a MUCH better contract and cap hit. 

Kane 7m - Hayes 7m - Miller 5.2m

JB is going to look like a genius if he clicks with Petey and Brock and puts up 60 points and all his haters will go on hiding. 

Very good post my friend. Well researched and presented. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

If nothing else the Canucks gotta move some money at forward 

miller-pettersson-boeser

baertschi-horvat-Pearson 

roussel-sutter-virtanen

schaller-beagle-spooner

eriksson, gaudette

leivo, motte, goldobin and granlund are RFA’s

even after the Miller trade they still one more guy to help score 

20 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

This is pretty much checkmate right here.

You would think that, wouldn't you? But the Benning haters "realistic fans" don't feel compelled to deal with facts. Pretty sure they will continue to be selectively blind and manage not to see things like actual comparables.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

One key difference though -- both Kane and Hayes were rentals, the latter of which was lost for next to nothing after 20 games.  Miller locked up for 4 years definitely has more value.

Kane is the better of the three. Go ahead, show me stats to prove me wrong. Kane is still better.

21 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

One key difference though -- both Kane and Hayes were rentals, the latter of which was lost for next to nothing after 20 games.  Miller locked up for 4 years definitely has more value.

Plus he can play centre or wing and comes without baggage.