The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

48 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

We'll never get all of the head shots out a 100%.  It's simply to fast moving to prevent violent collisions.  Same goes for football, rugby etc.  I'm glad things have changed for the better but changing things much more and then we don't have hockey.

You should seriously consider changing your sporting interests to baseball, tennis, curling, basketball (maybe to much violent contact for you?), soccer, etc.  

Hoglander, though went across the line for IIHF rules, I see a smaller player doing his best to protect himself from a player bigger then him coming in for a hit at high speed.  If Hoglander just let the player hit him, we very well could be talking about his head injury right now.  The whole event was unfortunate but if you don't like the 'unneeded' extracurricular activities then you have a right to watch another sport that caters to you sensibilities.  

i am not a squeamish person, and it's not about my sensitivities. it's about fostering a safe work environment for people so they don't develop CTE.

will collisions with the head ever be removed from the game completely? probably not.

but you're clueless if you don't think hoglander has an obligation both professionally and otherwise to follow the rules within the leagues he plays in (and to re-evaluate himself when he gets hit with suspensions/game removals), and your ability to deflect blame and cover for him shows that you're entirely blind toward the actual important topic here of where the kid's reputation is heading and what happens if he keeps getting penalized on dangerous plays he could have mitigated.

i feel like the culture on this website is still 10 years ago.

Edited by 112
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

LOL man Marchand has been a cheap shot  scumbag his entire career and I can’t recall one time where he had to answer the bell to a guy like Ryan Reeves. He’s incredible at stirring the pot, being a douche, getting away with near murder out there, and really has avoided being detrimental to his team. Not only that, but he is arguably the most effective player in the league at throwing guys off their game using his antics. Furthermore, he is the one to usually score on the PP after guys get a retaliatory penalty. I would KILL to have a Marchand on the Canucks. 

Except for the thrust from Prust?  Man, that was just retribution.  " best $5000 I ever spent" was Prusty's comment after the fine.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, 112 said:

i am not a squeamish person, and it's not about my sensitivities. it's about fostering a safe work environment for people so they don't develop CTE.

will collisions with the head ever be removed from the game completely? probably not.

but you're clueless if you don't think hoglander has an obligation both professionally and otherwise to follow the rules within the leagues he plays in (and to re-evaluate himself when he gets hit with suspensions/game removals), and your ability to deflect blame and cover for him shows that you're entirely blind toward the actual important topic here of where the kid's reputation is heading and what happens if he keeps getting penalized on dangerous plays he could have mitigated.

i feel like the culture on this website is still 10 years ago.

Bud... I wasn't attacking you.  Relax.  (But I will now)

'A safe work environment'... What planet are you on.  This is why these guys get paid millions.  There is no safe work environment and never will be.  You are clueless if you think any player is obligated to practice safe work habits... Bla, bla, bla.  We hope they do, and if they don't, they're usually punished for it.  It's their job to win... That's all.  He protected himself and I'm glad he did... THAT is what he's obliged to do...

Let the guy make the team first, see how that goes before you decide if he should be on the team or not... Based on your standards that is. 

You started this whole tirade already comparing him to Wilson and Marchant... Really?  I get it... You want a civilized game, were gentleman respect each other at all times and out work each other with dignity in a safe work environment. 

Yah dude... I want world peace to... I'm sure there's a men's group, drum circle close by for you.  I'd offer my shoulder to cry on but I don't have shoulder pads... I wouldn't want you to get concused.  

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

for the record-

in looking at the video, i don't think the hit was /that/ bad. but i also say this knowing i have a bias.

what i think made nils deserving of the penalty (esp. under iihf jr rules...) is that, while he started by bracing for a hit, it obviously wasn't coming, and he had an opportunity either to try to avoid as much contact as he could--seeing as denisenko was vulnerable--or continue into contact. he should have known it was a dangerous play and particularly tried to avoid contact with denisenko's head, which i don't think he did.

denisenko made a mistake and put himself in a bad position, but nils should have played more within the remit of this tournament's rules and with more respect to its scope of age considering he normally plays in a men's league.

what i find disturbing is that it's his second failure under two different hockey jurisdictions to remain eligible for all contests owing to a judged major infraction. it's honestly concerning, especially if you're from another fanbase. i don't think it's right at this point to be defending him so openly; my response to the earlier event when it happened was that i wanted to give nils the benefit of the doubt but would hope he does nothing this borderline again in his career. and i think this was considered quite a fair take on here at the time, unless i'm misremembering and only talked about it in other circles. and now that he's done something quite questionable-to-bad again, i'm going to be just crossing my fingers that nothing like this comes from him in a long time and that if/when it does, it's another 'well, seems he honestly didn't mean to thing' that doesn't end up putting a hardworking person out of work and health for 3+ months. i think this forum tends to misunderstand how devastating that must be for a person.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Funny this is. Nobody will care if it’s a clean or dirty play. There always has to be a response. 

I remember when Hall obliterated Larsen. When we rewatch the play Larsen had his head down. It was a great hit but the Canucks responded regardless. 

In regards to Hog I feel his play was iffy. Walks the fine line. Teams won’t care though so he has to be a bit more careful IMO. 

Have you even watched the last 10 years of Canuck hockey games???  (I don't need an answer, I know you have).

Then since you have watched the Canuck games you know that they rarely had payback after a hit such as the one Hoglander layed on that guy today.  Marchand speed bagging a Sedin, Keith elbowing a Sedin much worse than Hogs has done.  Where was the payback?  Honestly, where was it? You said there always has to be one.

There are many teams that do not respond.  You are exaggerating.  

Anyway, can't wait for Hoglander to play on the Canucks. I hope he continues to develop until that day.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

'A safe work environment'... What planet are you on.  This is why these guys get paid millions.  There is no safe work environment and never will be.  You are clueless if you think any player is obligated to practice safe work habits... Bla, bla, bla.  We hope they do, and if they don't, they're usually punished for it.  It's there job to win... That's all.  He protected himself and I'm glad he did... THAT is what he's obliged to do...

Let the guy make the team first, see how that goes before you decide if he should be on the team or not... Based on your standards that is. 

You started this whole tirade already comparing him to Wilson and Marchant... Really?  I get it... You want a civilized game, were gentleman respect each other at all times and out work each other with dignity in a safe work environment. 

Yah dude... I want world peace to... I'm sure there's a men's group, drum circle close by for you.  I'd offer my shoulder to cry on but I don't have shoulder pads... I wouldn't want you to get concused.  

did i? i didn't bring up their names and only entered into discussion on them when other people made remarks. this started on someone else's hypothetical that we have a marchand and that it's a good thing.

this is the 21st century, and major sports organizations have a legal and ethical obligation to ensure that their games are played in a manner as safe as possible owing to the obvious restrictions on that that will always be there. and they have,--for reasons that are surprisingly easy to grasp with a basic level of empathy and understanding of the importance of the brain to its individual and their entire network + family,--a major duty to prevent head injuries and fight the long-entrenched cultures that create people like you who think head trauma is lols and giggles and manly-man stuff people need to drink beers to get over. subsequently, as neither you nor myself nor nils hoglander are doctors, nils hoglander, to our best understanding, has both a /professional/ and /moral/ obligation to follow the hockey authority's rules concerning what they consider fair contact regarding head-plays, as these are informed by scientific research and consultations with neuroscientists and medical doctors who have a much better comprehension on these topics and the ethics of such plays within the sport of ice hockey.

'tirade' is exaggeration. i just don't think we have very good opinions in here and that they're kind of dangerous to be waving like flags and get kind of frustrated when anyone utters a different view that they are mocked with base, base emojis. :(

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

'A safe work environment'... What planet are you on.  This is why these guys get paid millions.  There is no safe work environment and never will be.  You are clueless if you think any player is obligated to practice safe work habits... Bla, bla, bla.  We hope they do, and if they don't, they're usually punished for it.  It's their job to win... That's all.  He protected himself and I'm glad he did... THAT is what he's obliged to do...

A poster actually typed "safe work environment" with respect to playing NHL hockey???   

Hahaha, that is so godda&% millennial it is unbelievable.  And if the person who typed that is not a millennial, then they are just clueless!  :picard:

Hogs & Podz.....your post was awesome by the way haha.  I would give you 100 upvotes if I could.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

I love that Hoglander is willing to get physical, but the way he drove his elbow up on that his is not good at all. I'd say that hit is suspendable, even by NHL standards. So long as he learns from this to steer away from the head, he'll be fine.

Just now, -AJ- said:

I love that Hoglander is willing to get physical, but the way he drove his elbow up on that his is not good at all. I'd say that hit is suspendable, even by NHL standards. So long as he learns from this to steer away from the head, he'll be fine.

Yeah. I don't mean to say by all of my posts that he's obviously a Marchand-type or that his reputation is never going to recover. He has a chance still, but whether we like it or not, he's at a point where he has to learn pretty quickly imo.

It wasn't an elbow if you watch all the angles; but that doesn't matter because all hits to the head are illegal under iihf rules iirc.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I wouldn’t. Guys a rat. He does get hit a lot. Easy to not answer the bell when you have a team like the Bruins behind you. We are nothing like the Bruins though, we are a lot easier to play against.  When he was head coach Claud Julien was constantly trying to stop BMs antics because of how important he was on the team and not suspended. 

I have stated that BM has become more of a scorer than a pest these past years. Still a nuisance but more so on the scoresheet nowadays. 

Marchand is an effective player. He throws players/teams off their game. Who says the Canucks won’t be a hard team to play against when/if Hoglander makes it here? 

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I loved the hit. 

If a couple Canucks did that in 2011 maybe we have a cup.

Edit: anyway...agree to disagree with a few here. Moving on....

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Wat 1

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

The Hogs reverse hit was fine. Should have just gotten 2 minutes.

Love Hoglander. Can't wait till he gets on the Canucks!!    The mamby pambies can cry more when he gets physical in the NHL when it is needed.  :lol:

No. As long as he has a nucks jersey on he will get fined then suspended every time for that hit. I love that he plays with edge but he needs to find where that edge is.   

25 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

A poster actually typed "safe work environment" with respect to playing NHL hockey???   

Hahaha, that is so godda&% millennial it is unbelievable.  And if the person who typed that is not a millennial, then they are just clueless!  :picard:

Hogs & Podz.....your post was awesome by the way haha.  I would give you 100 upvotes if I could.

okay so if a safe work environment isn't important, why do goalies wear masks? just because every one since jacques plante has been a marvel superhero with a double-secret identity of playing ice hockey? they go into the dressing room, sneak out the back dressed up like bums, and have their PR guy come out to handle the media and pretend he was in net while looking nothing like them? for what purpose? like what do the superheroes get from it? or are they villains?

Edited by 112

10 minutes ago, Trollup5 said:

LOL, A SAFE WORK ENVIRONMENT. Where in the world did this SNOWFLAKE come from?

You know we are talking about hockey right. If you want safe, go cheer for the national Bubble Wrap Team!!

safer, then?

we're both talking about hockey, yes, just in different centuries.

42 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Have you even watched the last 10 years of Canuck hockey games???  (I don't need an answer, I know you have).

Then since you have watched the Canuck games you know that they rarely had payback after a hit such as the one Hoglander layed on that guy today.  Marchand speed bagging a Sedin, Keith elbowing a Sedin much worse than Hogs has done.  Where was the payback?  Honestly, where was it? You said there always has to be one.

There are many teams that do not respond.  You are exaggerating.  

Anyway, can't wait for Hoglander to play on the Canucks. I hope he continues to develop until that day.

You’re mentioning the Canucks of a team that doesn’t respond. That’s what worries me. If you can’t face the music after you make an iffy play you’re team is gonna fold. 

I mentioned earlier when Larsen was destroyed by Hall everyone went after him, even though Larsen had his head down. 

Fact of the matter is good teams aren’t gonna take that crap. West is heavy and we are not that heavy yet. We can be an easy team to push around if we decide to start pissing teams off by hurting their players. 

I am not exaggerating. I asked you would a division rival just shrug off one of our guys hurting their players from a physical altercation? I seriously doubt it, especially if it is a star player. 

On top of any push back from a team he could face disciplinary action and not play. He’s got the find that area of waking the line that’s not too low. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Wat 1