The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

On 6/11/2020 at 11:56 AM, theo5789 said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that he takes it out of his game. By harness, I mean at least knowing when to not cross that line because you're more important on the ice than off of it. Sweden was in a prime position to potentially win the WJC, but he took himself out and he was part of a dominant line on the team.

If you do care to see:

If a guy was charging at him, then I get it. But Denisenko didn't look to be doing so. He could've easily shoved him down rather than put his elbow up (and it had to be way up for his height). I'm fine with a bit of nasty, but like I said, once he was out, they were much easier of a team to neutralize. If it was the regular season, then it would be more of a statement to not mess with him which I would be much more okay with.

TBH Denisenko went down easier than a bowling ball thrown off the CN tower.  Should have been a 2 minute penalty without the dive, which is acceptable.  Those clowns were flopping all tournament long, and the refs were falling for it every time.  The coaches should have warned the guys not to give the Russians an opportunity to draw a major penalty by faking an injury.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

TBH Denisenko went down easier than a bowling ball thrown off the CN tower.  Should have been a 2 minute penalty without the dive, which is acceptable.

If Hoglander bodies him rather gets his elbows up, then it's a clean play that still likely knocks him over. It doesn't look like Denisenko was engaging to hit him and his attempt at avoidance is what would shift his balance to be easy to knock down. I disagree that it was a dive, but he may have sold the severity of the hit.

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

If Hoglander bodies him rather gets his elbows up, then it's a clean play that still likely knocks him over. It doesn't look like Denisenko was engaging to hit him and his attempt at avoidance is what would shift his balance to be easy to knock down. I disagree that it was a dive, but he may have sold the severity of the hit.

Fair.  He probably goes down regardless but he was absolutely faking any kind of injury.  He came back from the dressing room way too quickly for any kind of concussion protocol to be administered, which would have been necessary if he wasn't embellishing the whole thing.  It looked way obvious of a sell job from ice level.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Fair.  He probably goes down regardless but he was absolutely faking any kind of injury.  He came back from the dressing room way too quickly for any kind of concussion protocol to be administered, which would have been necessary if he wasn't embellishing the whole thing.  It looked way obvious of a sell job from ice level.

He does get connected on the head though (although not principle point of contact), but I agree that he may have sold any injury he had. 

That doesn't take away that Hoglander should've been smarter and not taken himself out of an important game like that.

There was a TSN article today focused on the highly touted prospects out of Sweden over the past couple years.  The title has Broberg in it but most of the love goes to our own Hogs!  Unfortunately I can't figure out how to transfer the article here... So not technologically inclined!  

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2020 at 11:40 AM, Fred65 said:

I tend to think you're right about defensive schemes. I understand that Green wants the D to jump in and it certainly provides more entertainment ( some times good some times not so much) but IMO the first move that needs to be made is to limit this "jumping into the attack to certain D'men. You can't let the likes of Benn and Fatenburg or Tanev to jump up because  they don't have the wheels to get back and prevent an out numbered counter attack. Plus of course we need more emphasis for forwards to retreat better. One of the things I don't always like about Virtanen is his occasional slow back check ( as a rule the TV rarely shows the back checkers )

I think it's more about some of the forwards not coming back, making it harder for the D to transition. I saw so many goals scored on us because our D gets hemmed in with no obvious outlet.

I think our top 4 is fine, but our 5-7th is what really drags our D down. Elder has been basically a 45+ player while being one of our better D 5 on 5.

I think our left side will be a strength but after Woo I don't see anyone on the right side with a chance to be a top-pairing D. I think Rafferty is more of a bottom pairing, 6 or 7th.

Thankfully, with our depth at wing, we should be able to acquire an RHD or add one in UFA as our cap space increases after next summer when we only have Myers on the books

56 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Very interesting! I was wondering how that was all going to work with the late season etc. Sounds like this plan is the best of both worlds, so that's exciting!

And if he doesn't make the cut, he could be loaned back (likely) or initially sent to the AHL as well with us getting a good look at him and him getting a good look at where he needs to be to make it the following year.

I like!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Well that dramatically increases his chance of at least making the club for a few games.

He will be in mid season form against guys who will be coming off a several month long break.  He “should” tear it up in training camp and exhibition games with that leg up.

• Like 3

On 7/24/2020 at 8:07 PM, Alienhuggyflow said:

I think it's more about some of the forwards not coming back, making it harder for the D to transition. I saw so many goals scored on us because our D gets hemmed in with no obvious outlet.

I think our top 4 is fine, but our 5-7th is what really drags our D down. Elder has been basically a 45+ player while being one of our better D 5 on 5.

I think our left side will be a strength but after Woo I don't see anyone on the right side with a chance to be a top-pairing D. I think Rafferty is more of a bottom pairing, 6 or 7th.

Thankfully, with our depth at wing, we should be able to acquire an RHD or add one in UFA as our cap space increases after next summer when we only have Myers on the books

I think people forget that Hughes plays both sides and he mentioned his shot was better on the right side. On the main topic, glad to hear Hoglander has an out clause to join Canucks training camp!

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, AK_19 said:

I think people forget that Hughes plays both sides and he mentioned his shot was better on the right side. On the main topic, glad to hear Hoglander has an out clause to join Canucks training camp!

Be nice if Juolevi actually reaches his potential as a solid #2/3.

In a few years, something like:

Juolevi, Hughes

Rathbone, Woo/trade

Edler, trade/Woo

I'd be ok with that :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Be nice if Juolevi actually reaches his potential as a solid #2/3.

In a few years, something like:

Juolevi, Hughes

Rathbone, Woo/trade

Edler, trade/Woo

I'd be ok with that :)

Myers will be with us for awhile. I'm expecting:

Rathbone Hughes

Joulevi Myers

Edler Rafferty

Woo

On 7/28/2020 at 11:19 AM, AK_19 said:

Myers will be with us for awhile. I'm expecting:

Rathbone Hughes

Joulevi Myers

Edler Rafferty

Woo

I'd be pretty surprised to see Rathbone and Hughes together on a pairing, particularly at the stage of their careers they'll be in in a few years and listed as the top line. For them to be comfortable holding those minutes with that responsibility I'd be surprised if Edler was still around even.

Looking more at styles and assuming development/potential, I'd lean more to Juolevi and Hughes together, with Rathbone and Meyers potentially paired up. No idea who else we'd bring in as well in the next couple years to switch that up (does Woo make an impact by then, free agent signing, trade?) but gives some options style-wise.

Wait, what thread am I in again?

Edited by elvis15

17 hours ago, elvis15 said:

I'd be pretty surprised to see Rathbone and Hughes together on a pairing, particularly at the stage of their careers they'll be in in a few years and listed as the top line. For them to be comfortable holding those minutes with that responsibility I'd be surprised if Edler was still around even.

Looking more at styles and assuming development/potential, I'd lean more to Juolevi and Hughes together, with Rathbone and Meyers potentially paired up. No idea who else we'd bring in as well in the next couple years to switch that up (does Woo make an impact by then, free agent signing, trade?) but gives some options style-wise.

Wait, what thread am I in again?

If Hughes can play the right side effectively, I'd like to see:

Edler-Hughes

Juolevi-Tanev

Rathbone-Myers

Tanev has proven he can help shelter a rookie. Hughes has proven he can take on more minutes while Edler will shift to be more of a defensive dman. Not sure if Rathbone and Myers works, but it's a vet with a rookie and they are more balanced type dmen. Of course Juolevi and Rathbone could swap as well. But it's certainly a group that can play more balanced minutes.

Hoglander is a great prospect, just to keep on topic.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...