The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

4 hours ago, JC2 said:

What was the reason for him not being taken in the first round? On paper he seems to have all the tools and the drive to succeed but surely there must be some holes in his game that scared off some scouts. With more are more smaller players making an impact in the league you would think there would be less biased towards the bigger players unless of course skating is an issue.

Size was a factor, as was exposure I'd imagine. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Size was a factor, as was exposure I'd imagine. 

Where does Hoglander get drafted if he played for that stacked UNDP team with Hughes?  Hoglander played against men in a very strong league.  I think we got two future top six wingers in Hoglander and Podkolzin.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Personally Im almost more excited about this pick then Pod! Kid has so much speed, agility and compete that I can see making defenders look bad for years to come.

Here's hoping he continues to develop and can push for a spot next year! We really need a couple top 6 winger prospects to succeed

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, JC2 said:

What was the reason for him not being taken in the first round? On paper he seems to have all the tools and the drive to succeed but surely there must be some holes in his game that scared off some scouts. With more are more smaller players making an impact in the league you would think there would be less biased towards the bigger players unless of course skating is an issue.

Thing is, not only is he not even that small (and considering his age, he's about Stecher's size right now), but he plays a feisty and physical game, not on the perimeter.  Good skater and vision, and elusive with fast hands like Gaudreau but at 20lbs heavier and has a better shot.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Thing is, not only is he not even that small (and considering his age, he's about Stecher's size right now), but he plays a feisty and physical game, not on the perimeter.  Good skater and vision, and elusive with fast hands like Gaudreau but at 20lbs heavier and has a better shot.

Very promising. Will be fun to follow and see how he develops this season. If he pans out his style of play would be a great addition to the Canucks.

Does anyone know his contract status? Can he sign/come over at the end of the season?

13 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

Very promising. Will be fun to follow and see how he develops this season. If he pans out his style of play would be a great addition to the Canucks.

Does anyone know his contract status? Can he sign/come over at the end of the season?

I think the answer is yes.  From what I've read, Hogs not to long ago, signed a 3 year contract with his SHL team.   If the canucks wanted him over for say... the start of the 20-21 season, they could buy out the final two years of his contract. 

Edited by Hogs & Podz

On 6/26/2019 at 6:12 PM, Alflives said:

And he looks like he’s strong on pucks.  He’s kind of built like a block.  

Any chance he makes our team this season?  

He might have a shot. He is ahead of what u would expect from a 40th. They could arrange it with the SHL.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 6/29/2019 at 6:04 AM, Alflives said:

Where does Hoglander get drafted if he played for that stacked UNDP team with Hughes?  Hoglander played against men in a very strong league.  I think we got two future top six wingers in Hoglander and Podkolzin.  

Might have been the biggest steal of the draft. Some feel he has the best hands in the draft

And their is some top tier talent in the draft.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, cory40 said:

Might have been the biggest steal of the draft. Some feel he has the best hands in the draft

And their is some top tier talent in the draft.

Best hands in the draft doesn't mean much though. Wasn't Rob Schremp pretty deft with his hands too? There's a whole lot that needs to come together to make a player. Not doubting Hoglander, but I'd like to see how he performs this year in the SHL and hopefully have a bit of a closer look at the WJC if he's there.

• Upvote 1

If the kid plays top six minutes in Sweden this year, and scores close to a point per game. We have a gem on our hands. The kids nowadays are getting trained year round and it seems like most of them have ridiculous hands no matter what round they are taken in. My nephews play in the BCHL and every kid in their team can dangle with the best of them. The kids that are getting noticed are the ones who can do it at full speed with finish. And from the highlights I’ve seen of this kid. He looks like the real deal. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SergioMomesso said:

and scores close to a point per game.

I think that might be a bit too much of an ask. A PPG pace in the SHL as a draft +1 player is spectacular. Had Pettersson put up a PPG pace instead of doing what he did he probably still would have been considered the best prospect in the world. I think anything a half PPG pace or above would be great for him.

I like the idea of him playing in the SHL for at lest a year. It was great with Pettersson and also with Hank & Dani.

love the fact he also plays with an tough no bs mean edge to his game. I’m super happy with this energy youth group moving forward. Podkolzin, Tyler Madden, and Hoglander. They all have that contagious energy x factor plus are super skilled. I don’t see any of these 3guys possibly disappearing in any game or Playoff game. Canucks future will be fun to watch. Its full steam ahead. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

I’m super happy with this energy youth group moving forward. Podkolzin, Tyler Madden, and Hoglander. They all have that contagious energy x factor plus are super skilled. I don’t see any of these 3guys possibly disappearing in any game or Playoff game. Canucks future will be fun to watch. Its full steam ahead. 

Not to mention Gaudette has barely scratched the surface of what he can be.

Also, Bo Horvat was a Playoff BEAST for London in his junior days. So far we've only let the guy play in 6 career playoff games... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, nergish said:

Also, Bo Horvat was a Playoff BEAST for London in his junior days. So far we've only let the guy play in 6 career playoff games... 

Just warming him up and resting him for when we need him in a couple years!

6 hours ago, nergish said:

The problem for Gaudette is that he may be playing behind 4.375 million bucks of Sutter and 3 million bucks of Beagle - and that sucks. Bad contracts seem to be coming back to bury us.  The Luongo deal is not our fault, it accorded with the rules of the day, but Bettman decided to selectively punish Vancouver retroactively with a ruling that could only work in the insanity of Bettman’s NHL. But Eriksson, Sutter, etc. belong to Benning and an ownership guilty of having the patience of hornets at a barbecue in their desire to be immediately and permanently mediocre. If Benning succeeds in making this a contending team it will be in spite of ownership.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Wedge-tailed Eagle said:

Style wise Höglander seems like a mix of Gallagher and Barzal to me.  He has Gallagher's feistiness and push back, as well as that elusive water-bug quality of Barzal.

I think Brendan Gallagher is a great comparison.  Similar size and weight and they both play a physical game irrespective of their size.  I think Hoglander might have more skill than Gallagher.  He could be a beauty and an even bigger steal than Podkolzin.  I think Hogs and Pods will be our future top 6 wingers for BO.  The future looks bright.

• Upvote 3