The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

6 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Hoglander doesn't know that. In the video right above (2:20 long) we can see multiple players trying to catch him with open ice hits but he managed to slip away from all of them. Maybe he's had enough of players trying to take his head off and decided to do something about it. Can't blame him one bit, and I'd love if all our players had some of that edge. Maybe now guys will think twice before trying to lay him and cause him to have a concussion.

It is exactly how guys like Messier and Marchand get room...……….a little fear, and a little respect for the elbow

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

17 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

It is exactly how guys like Messier and Marchand get room...……….a little fear, and a little respect for the elbow

Maybe not room per se, but others will think twice before taking a run at Marchand now because they know he's got an edge. He's a premier player in the league and he's small, yet he doesn't get cranked nearly as much as the Sedins did during their playing days. There's a reason for that... And it ain't because he's more likeable.

Edited by Vanuckles
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Watched the replay.  Elbow up and thrown but he had his back to the defender for quite a while before he arrived and I don't believe he targeted his head specifically. Being shorter I am sure he is used to get hit high (head area) so..... elbow is up in response.

He will pay but I don't think he meant to knock the guys head off.   If one elbow/play makes you a dirty player then everyone is dirty.  I do admit I like it that he plays with an edge but he needs to control it better.  It's amazing there was no response from anyone on the ice.   

• Thanks 1

Yeah it’s good to be a little feisty but doing something dumb like this shouldn’t be defended. He got a 5 minute penalty/game and probably 3+ games, no coach/gm/scout will like that. Also it’s what 13 minutes into the game? Was he head hunting buddy or gets rattled getting pushed around early game? I like old time hockey as much as anybody but that’s not today’s game anymore and now will probably be costing his team? 

16 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Maybe not room per se, but others will think twice before taking a run at Marchand now because they know he's got an edge. He's a premier player in the league and he's small, yet he doesn't get cranked nearly as much as the Sedins did during their playing days. There's a reason for that... And it ain't because he's more likeable.

I don’t know what Bruins games you watch but Marchand gets hit a lot. I would argue more people run Marchand because of his antics, no ones scared of a 5’9 lippy rat. Marchand knows that and Marchand puts the Bruins on the power play a lot. 

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

So he takes it out on another player that wasn't even in that game? That's a ridiculous argument. So by your logic if McDavid got hit hard against the Flames it's okay to take it out on Hughes and elbow his lights out? That's incredible ridiculous. I am dumbfounded by that logic.

Someone's hitting and pissing you off you getting his damn face and challenge him don't elbow someone for no reason that was making a hockey play. I've made that point very clear that you don't seem to acknowledge.  The way you want players to respond is cowardly and classless. I want them to kick their damn ass like a &^@#ing man, not from behind like a coward or with an elbow out of nowhere. Why cheap shot when they can be straight up. They're going to have to answer a cheap shot anyway so why not just skip the pussy cheap shot and respond by challenging him.

Junk Yard

It was a dirty hit, and in the NHL, it would have been answered to, immediately, with a punchout, or at least a attempted one. The truth is though, that frontier justice is handed out all the time, maybe not as much as in the past, but a lot of players would have answered that. Maybe not in the SHL though??????

BUt, in saying that.small guys are leaned on, cross checked, pushed around, and intimidated every game, so they are either given a body guard (aka Ferland) or they fight for them selves (aka Marchand), that is the law of the jungle (elite Hockey....major junior and up)

Now, as everyone has basically said, it is too bad the guy got hurt, but Hoglander is fighting for space, and he feels pressure, and does not know whether he will be smashed into the boards or the guy will grab or out muscle him......but if he is tired of that abuse, he fights back...…...

He probably did not intend to hit the guy that bad, but it happened, and he will face his music. But to blame him for actually wanting to hurt the guy, I don't believe he did. I am sure he will say that at his hearing. BUT , no hockey man, will blame him for fighting to hold his space, and everyone will understand the shtt he takes being small. 

He will take his punishment, but I hope it does not affect the way he plays...….it could happen again, but if he gets driven into the boards head first, which is entirely possible. Then it won't happen a third time, because his elbows will be up for the rest of his career, and rightfully so.

You look how being hit from behind has affected the entire NHL, with concussions...…..you look how Brock played tentatively the first game.....that is the result of careless checkers, that were not worried about an elbow.....or a cross check or a slash

The game is  more primitive than you think, and you are naïve to think it isn't. You are also naïve to think that guys don't get fed up with the BS, and protect themselves, if the league won't do it for them. 

PS...…..as per a comment a couple of pages ago...……..you must have been a point guard, because there are plenty of elbows thrown in the paint, and as there is cross checks in front of the net in hockey(you must have been a goalie)

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

You guys aren't even having an argument, this is just preaching to yourselves whatever you want to believe.  

Hog made a dirty hit and deserves a suspension.  

I like this side to his game without the injury to the opposing player of course. 

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Junk Yard

It was a dirty hit, and in the NHL, it would have been answered to, immediately, with a punchout, or at least a attempted one. The truth is though, that frontier justice is handed out all the time, maybe not as much as in the past, but a lot of players would have answered that. Maybe not in the SHL though??????

BUt, in saying that.small guys are leaned on, cross checked, pushed around, and intimidated every game, so they are either given a body guard (aka Ferland) or they fight for them selves (aka Marchand), that is the law of the jungle (elite Hockey....major junior and up)

Now, as everyone has basically said, it is too bad the guy got hurt, but Hoglander is fighting for space, and he feels pressure, and does not know whether he will be smashed into the boards or the guy will grab or out muscle him......but if he is tired of that abuse, he fights back...…...

He probably did not intend to hit the guy that bad, but it happened, and he will face his music. But to blame him for actually wanting to hurt the guy, I don't believe he did. I am sure he will say that at his hearing. BUT , no hockey man, will blame him for fighting to hold his space, and everyone will understand the shtt he takes being small. 

He will take his punishment, but I hope it does not affect the way he plays...….it could happen again, but if he gets driven into the boards head first, which is entirely possible. Then it won't happen a third time, because his elbows will be up for the rest of his career, and rightfully so.

You look how being hit from behind has affected the entire NHL, with concussions...…..you look how Brock played tentatively the first game.....that is the result of careless checkers, that were not worried about an elbow.....or a cross check or a slash

The game is  more primitive than you think, and you are naïve to think it isn't. You are also naïve to think that guys don't get fed up with the BS, and protect themselves, if the league won't do it for them. 

PS...…..as per a comment a couple of pages ago...……..you must have been a point guard, because there are plenty of elbows thrown in the paint, and as there is cross checks in front of the net in hockey(you must have been a goalie)

Firstly I never blamed him for deliberately wanting hurting the guy. I have stated that I don't think Hoglander is a dirty player but it was a dirty play. My entire argument is against people think that it's okay to take cheap shots if it sends a message not to be messed with. That's it's okay to use cheap shots to protect yourself. The basis of my argument isn't even solely about Hog but rather people encouraging cheap plays. 

He can play feisty without being dirty. That hit on Brock is dirty was well. Both I don't like. Look at the way Pettersson protected himself. Like no need to swing bows. If you're fed up taking abuse there's a lot more ways of dishing it out rather than cheap plays. These same people would throw there hands in the air if something like this happens to one of our players but when it's one of our players doing it it's completely justified. That sort of double standard is classless.

I am not naive because the point your making isn't the point I am arguing against. I never argued that guys aren't fed up taking abuse. I stated that there are ways to express that without crossing that line.

I was a center and a goalie FYI. I have a scar on my chin from my elbow and have been run in while in net. I have repeatedly stated my own sense on justice and protecting yourself and sending a message. None of it involves cheap shots dirty plays like people here are preaching.

I have NEVER stated that there should be less physical contact but instead less deliberate cheap shots. I don't know where people keep getting that idea. 

I don't think that you're on the same page as the other preaching that we need players that run dudes and it's only not okay when it's against our players. That's essentially who I am arguing against.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Thanks 1

Earlier in The game a player of The opposing team knocked an Rögle player with an defensive hit (player smacked his head into The ice but not a particulary bad hit). This might be Höglander trying to get back with The same medicine but missing The timing hitting him in The head. 

He got a 5 game suspension and a bit over 6,000SEK fine

Edited by ForzaTikare
  • Thanks 1

This guy has been inducted and celebrated.  One of my favorites was stomping on Kesler's leg while he was laying on the ice.  Maybe a little of this is required.  Turning the other cheek(s) hasn't seemed to work.

Edited by Borvat
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Firstly I never blamed him for deliberately wanting hurting the guy. I have stated that I don't think Hoglander is a dirty player but it was a dirty play. My entire argument is against people think that it's okay to take cheap shots if it sends a message not to be messed with. That's it's okay to use cheap shots to protect yourself. The basis of my argument isn't even solely about Hog but rather people encouraging cheap plays. 

He can play feisty without being dirty. That hit on Brock is dirty was well. Both I don't like. Look at the way Pettersson protected himself. Like no need to swing bows. If you're fed up taking abuse there's a lot more ways of dishing it out rather than cheap plays. These same people would throw there hands in the air if something like this happens to one of our players but when it's one of our players doing it it's completely justified. That sort of double standard is classless.

I am not naive because the point your making isn't the point I am arguing against. I never argued that guys aren't fed up taking abuse. I stated that there are ways to express that without crossing that line.

I was a center and a goalie FYI. I have a scar on my chin from my elbow and have been run in while in net. I have repeatedly stated my own sense on justice and protecting yourself and sending a message. None of it involves cheap shots dirty plays like people here are preaching.

I have NEVER stated that there should be less physical contact but instead less deliberate cheap shots. I don't know where people keep getting that idea. 

I don't think that you're on the same page as the other preaching that we need players that run dudes and it's only not okay when it's against our players. That's essentially who I am arguing against.

Good response.....

I say Naïve not as a poke at you, but in the truest meaning...….not meant to be rude

I do think that smaller guys at that level, have a hard time backing off players by being fiesty

and although I do not know it has happened or not

If Hoglanger is continually being taken in hard from behind, or hard some close calls

he may feel enough is enough and start fighting back

the risk of concussion is so real, and if you have the puck most shifts, as he does

the chance goes up, that someone will drive him in the boards from behind

maybe he had just had a close call, and said that is enough, or I am going to get killed!

So he throws a elbow, not to take the guy out, but maybe to back him off

then the guy leans forward and Hoglanders elbow is just a little too effective

I am sure he did not want that result, as most guys that board from behind would say

I honestly don't blame Hoglander, but he has to now pay the time

It is an incredibly violent sport at that level, even if you do not want to hurt the guy

you are fighting for space......small guys have to fight harder

PS....no need to respond to this. I agree with in part, it ended up being, "over the top"

I would probably think he is pretty bloody strong in his upper body.

I used to box for a while and sparred with smaller guys sometimes....

I have been hit hard by a few......not exactly what sparring is about, but it happens

Sometime the small guy that hit me was as shocked as I was, but it usually did not stop him from

trying to do his best, it just caused me to be a little more careful.

Which brings me to another boxing point

when I got my punches to low, the other guy would send the same message

I usually, kept my punches up after that..

Who knows if this guy that got tagged, had not sent Hoglander into the boards before

I bet he is more carefull around Hoglander next time, or he will take his head off

one or the other

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Did we know before the draft that Hogs had this nasty to his game?  

I didn't, I thought he was more like a Baertchi type. Its good to see he has this in him. If he can be skilled and scrappy he will be valuable to a lot of teams. A mix between Sven Baertchi and Andrew Shaw 

Maybe a bit like Gabriel Landeskog? 

Edited by kenhodgejr