The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

20 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Torres had a dirty hit. So was that Aaron Rome late hit against the Horton and that seem to help spark the Bruins. Won 4 of the next 5 against us. I am not sure you can use dirty plays to determine whether or not it helps or doesn't help a team. It's senseless statistic.

The Bruins are always seeming to try and get Marchand to stay on the right side of the line while still playing with an edge. Probably because being suspended and taking stupid penalties doesn't help the Bruins win games. Nobody is afraid of Marchand either, he is constantly targeted despite the fact that he's willing to play dirty. Fact of the matter is people are more afraid of Marchand having a big night offensively than his antics.

Don't need to act like total gents. I've never stated that. This isn't golf or tennis it's a mans sport. You can play with an edge without crossing any sort of line. There's honor and integrity in this sport. Good solid hard hockey. I'd rather see a fight to spark a team then an elbow or hit to the head that kicks you out of the game. I'd rather see a good hard clean hit then someone run into the boards from behind. Don't you agree? That's my entire argument.

The rat also draws penalties cause he plays so close to the edge, which I don't mind....

its just nice knowing hogs has more of the rat in him then the Sedins. 

Its nice knowing our skill guys will even think about doing a hit like that or one of bures. 

I agree clean hits are the way to go but In todays nhl it seems it's more cheap shots....

but I would have paid good money to see a Sedin run the rat....or seen a Sedin Crosby the rats finger....that's me though

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

The rat also draws penalties cause he plays so close to the edge, which I don't mind....

Its nice knowing our skill guys will even think about doing a hit like that or one of bures. 

I agree clean hits are the way to go but In todays nhl it seems it's more cheap shots....

but I would have paid good money to see a Sedin run the rat....or seen a Sedin Crosby the rats finger....that's me though

Personally and what I probably should of stated from the beginning, I want to see more longevity in players careers and nobody's shortened due to concussions. I would never want to see Petey Boeser or McDavid or Crosby (etc) miss long periods of time due to concussions. I'd hate seeing that and it's not good for hockey.

On a side note but still with the premise of what I am arguing.

If the NHL really wants to lower the amount of concussions then they can't put up with these types of plays. Nobody wants to see players miss games due to concussions, especially star players. The DoPS really have to dig down on disciplinary action more so then they are now. There should be more severe suspensions for any sort of head shot or hit from behind that results in a head injury. Players aren't gonna stop with these sort of dirty acts until they take more action and some players will take matters into their own hands.

Honestly they are failing the players, fans and themselves in this regard. I think everyone and their mothers  can agree on that

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Personally and what I probably should of stated from the beginning, I want to see more longevity in players careers and nobody's shortened due to concussions. I would never want to see Petey Boeser or McDavid or Crosby (etc) miss long periods of time due to concussions. I'd hate seeing that and it's not good for hockey.

On a side note but still with the premise of what I am arguing.

If the NHL really wants to lower the amount of concussions then they can't put up with these types of plays. Nobody wants to see players miss games due to concussions, especially star players. The DoPS really have to dig down on disciplinary action more so then they are now. There should be more severe suspensions for any sort of head shot or hit from behind that results in a head injury. Players aren't gonna stop with these sort of dirty acts until they take more action and some players will take matters into their own hands.

Honestly they are failing the players, fans and themselves in this regard. I think everyone and their mothers  can agree on that

I agree I want to see players play a long career....

your right dops have dropped the ball and that's why I'm kinda happy hogs plays the way he does....tit for tat kinda deal, personally over the years the dops have failed the Canucks and I'm kinda to the point , I rather be the one dishing out the pain then then the ones that always takes it. 

as a Canuck fan we all have seen how the league treats us. 

I agree the league has failed but the game has changed a lot over the years and why I miss the enforcers days cause they kept the game some what clean at times.....

we all have seen what happens when the Canucks take things in their own hands ....Moore comes to mind.....even that Dbag that chocked slammed Petey didn't want to fight anyone on the roster even Jake challenged him ha. 

Its kinda like parenting now ha nhl is a new school parenting ha talking and go to your room the next five games to where before guy throws a dirty hit he had to answer for it, plain and simple....the code kinda, kinda like when your kid gets a spanking ha they learn not to do that anymore. 

No one to keep these young players honest anymore....

so like I said I'm okay with hogs hit dirty sure but I want star or skilled players willing to atleast look at the other side of the line and do anything to win. 

2 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Dvd?....being that old you mean vhs right?....:bigblush:

kinda funny everyone ups in arms over this hit....kesler was known to play similar style same with burrows....

heck we are the ones that drafted Matt Cooke ha it's not hoglander is anywhere near cookes level and isn't this hogs like  first dirty hit?...

im okay with the hit, it makes players look over their shoulders and make mistakes.....warning. 

I personally don;t have a big problem with it.  He is a young 18 year old who is 5' 9" and wanted to let the older guys know that they can't skate up behind him and hit him.  I get it.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I personally don;t have a big problem with it.  He is a young 18 year old who is 5' 9" and wanted to let the older guys know that they can't skate up behind him and hit him.  I get it.

Sorry I just used your post cause I couldn't  help my self from making an old joke. 

I agree 100% and I like the way he plays....we're on the same page. lol 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Torres had a dirty hit. So was that Aaron Rome late hit against the Horton and that seem to help spark the Bruins. Won 4 of the next 5 against us. I am not sure you can use dirty plays to determine whether or not it helps or doesn't help a team. It's senseless statistic.

The Bruins are always seeming to try and get Marchand to stay on the right side of the line while still playing with an edge. Probably because being suspended and taking stupid penalties doesn't help the Bruins win games. Nobody is afraid of Marchand either, he is constantly targeted despite the fact that he's willing to play dirty. Fact of the matter is people are more afraid of Marchand having a big night offensively than his antics.

Don't need to act like total gents. I've never stated that. This isn't golf or tennis it's a mans sport. You can play with an edge without crossing any sort of line. There's honor and integrity in this sport. Good solid hard hockey. I'd rather see a fight to spark a team then an elbow or hit to the head that kicks you out of the game. I'd rather see a good hard clean hit then someone run into the boards from behind. Don't you agree? That's my entire argument.

Its funny how the game has changed. That hit that Rome threw on Horton is part of the reason Scott Stevens is in the hall of fame...

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Hoglander being the snack ice cream is the best news. Good that he had an offensive tackle early.

Also, dudes name is C More?

C More is The broadcaster aka our SportsNet

"C More Hockey" 

"C More Soccer" 

"C More Golf" 

"C More Sports" 

"C More Film" 

"C More Series" 

I know, incredibly funny. 

Edited by ForzaTikare

13 hours ago, 112 said:

I'm happy he's demonstrated he won't be pushed around.

I'm also happy he got this suspension early on in his career so he really internalizes that he can't make plays like that unless he's certain they won't be dangerous.

I'm not sure what the health of the player he elbowed is now, but regardless of how well he came away from that, I'm not happy it happened to him.

He wasnt playing The game after, now its been a 5 Day break for international games, they Will play today but no update on Styrman yet

I wanted to wait a bit for the initial heat to cool before i put in my view.

Certainly now that we have more information about the hoglander hit and what led to it.

I do like that Nils looked to initiate contact, i do not like the hit to the head and he deserved the suspension. 

I do like that as nils is a smaller skilled player he shows some nastiness that will put the word out about Nils, I don't like the headshot.

I do like that he sorta stood up for a teammate and understand his response, I don't like the head shot.

In concluding i think it's a combination of frustration, revenge, immaturity and inexperience by Nils, hopefully he does not get into the habit of headshots or dirty play and learns from this suspension.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I wanted to wait a bit for the initial heat to cool before i put in my view.

Certainly now that we have more information about the hoglander hit and what led to it.

I do like that Nils looked to initiate contact, i do not like the hit to the head and he deserved the suspension. 

I do like that as nils is a smaller skilled player he shows some nastiness that will put the word out about Nils, I don't like the headshot.

I do like that he sorta stood up for a teammate and understand his response, I don't like the head shot.

In concluding i think it's a combination of frustration, revenge, immaturity and inexperience by Nils, hopefully he does not get into the habit of headshots or dirty play and learns from this suspension.

IMO Hogslander doesn't know his own strength.  He put too much mustard on it and leveled a guy.  Had he not gotten his elbow up, brilliant hit.  That's a fixable problem and a learning experience.  

Feel bad for Styman, but there has been no indication that Hogslander is a dirty player.  This current play is an outlier.  If he does stuff like this is again, then we might have a pitbull on our hands.  

9 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

IMO Hogslander doesn't know his own strength.  He put too much mustard on it and leveled a guy.  Had he not gotten his elbow up, brilliant hit.  That's a fixable problem and a learning experience.  

Feel bad for Styman, but there has been no indication that Hogslander is a dirty player.  This current play is an outlier.  If he does stuff like this is again, then we might have a pitbull on our hands.  

It doesnt require much strength to elbow a unsuspecting party in the nose lol.

• Cheers 1

On 10/9/2019 at 3:27 PM, RowdyCanuck said:

There's never been fewer cheap shots and dirty plays in the league than there is now........not even close.

6 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yeah, really, when you are about to hit someone in the numbers to crunch them into the boards, who would suspect that they might actually respond in a way that makes you think twice about doing that again? Just not fair, is it?

Other guy wasn’t going for a hit. He reached out with his stick to poke the puck. Lol. Listen, I get loyalty to our guys. I do. It was a dirty unnecessary play. Not to mention, if you don’t put your back to open ice you’re less likely to eat glass. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yeah, really, when you are about to hit someone in the numbers to crunch them into the boards, who would suspect that they might actually respond in a way that makes you think twice about doing that again? Just not fair, is it?

Guy I'm just saying it doesnt take hardly any strength to bring a guy to his knees with an elbow to the nose. 

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 2