The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

10 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

It doesnt require much strength to elbow a unsuspecting party in the nose lol.

In fairness, Hogslander had his back to the player and it was a blind elbow.   If the other guy had gone for contact,  which I suspect is what Hogslander wrongly anticipated, then it is a straight up reverse hit.  But the guy rightly played the puck and Hogslander landed a vicious elbow.  

As a one off, okay, but if it becomes a pattern then we have a pit bull.  Kinda mixed about that.  Haven't had a truly dirty player since Cooke left.  

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

In fairness, Hogslander had his back to the player and it was a blind elbow.   If the other guy had gone for contact,  which I suspect is what Hogslander wrongly anticipated, then it is a straight up reverse hit.  But the guy rightly played the puck and Hogslander landed a vicious elbow.  

As a one off, okay, but if it becomes a pattern then we have a pit bull.  Kinda mixed about that.  Haven't had a truly dirty player since Cooke left.  

Torres. ;)

5 hours ago, 112 said:

Torres. ;)

Torres was a wrecking ball, but not dirty.  

Claude Lemieux was dirty, Marchand is dirty, Cooke was dirty.  Guys that can end careers by elbows, sticks and slew foots.  Not agitators like Burrows was, but the kind of player that intends to injure and is successful.  

Torres was a guy that injured people as a byproduct of contact, not the intent of contact.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/12/2019 at 9:06 AM, N7Nucks said:

Other guy wasn’t going for a hit. He reached out with his stick to poke the puck. Lol. Listen, I get loyalty to our guys. I do. It was a dirty unnecessary play. Not to mention, if you don’t put your back to open ice you’re less likely to eat glass. 

How would he know the guy wasn't going for a hit?  Boeser likely would have thought the same before his recent concussion.  Players have every right to face the glass and not expect to get run.  Hitting from behind (in the numbers) is against the rules along the boards and dangerous.

If he happens to get a reputation for "defending" himself against being boarded maybe it saves him some concussions.  In any event I don't think he will be the next Gordie Howe. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gordie-howe-mr-elbows-detroit-red-wings/

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Here is the elbow.  I think he got five games?  

@10pavelbure96

That is such a dirty hit in today's world of hockey. Got to love the Euro's tho eh...entire opposition team doesn't even skate toward him after laying out one of their own fellow teammates....that is such a sad thing to see in today's hockey. Don't need 80s hockey but damn, stand up for yourself and teammates for christ sake!

To me that is a Matt Cooke type of move, nice to see he has an edge. Hoping to see him in Utica on the opposite side of Lind next year. No need to rush him into the NHL with our F depth imo 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

That is such a dirty hit in today's world of hockey. Got to love the Euro's tho eh...entire opposition team doesn't even skate toward him after laying out one of their own fellow teammates....that is such a sad thing to see in today's hockey. Don't need 80s hockey but damn, stand up for yourself and teammates for christ sake!

To me that is a Matt Cooke type of move, nice to see he has an edge. Hoping to see him in Utica on the opposite side of Lind next year. No need to rush him into the NHL with our F depth imo 

Often Euros can make the leap right to the NHL most top talent is playing in a pro league already against men since 17... there ahead of the curve in that regard.  Many will return to Europe if not in the big club instead of Utica. 

This isn't a bad thing... as the swedish pro league is one of the best in the world.

Edited by Snapshot85
  • Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Snapshot85 said:

Often Euros can make the leap right to the NHL most top talent is playing in a pro league already against men since 17... there ahead of the curve in that regard.  Many will return to Europe if not in the big club instead of Utica. 

This isn't a bad thing... as the swedish pro league is one of the best in the world.

For sure, but he has to come to camp and earn it. I know its a lower league but because of the EP connection many thought J. Dahlen would be in a Canuck jersey right away...Dahlen himself and it looks like he doesn't want to put the effort in NA so he went back to the lower tier Timra League and is lighting it up at the moment

• Upvote 1

On 10/13/2019 at 1:04 AM, Phat Fingers said:

Claude Lemieux was dirty, Marchand is dirty, Cooke was dirty.  Guys that can end careers by elbows, sticks and slew foots.  Not agitators like Burrows was, but the kind of player that intends to injure and is successful.  

Torres was a guy that injured people as a byproduct of contact, not the intent of contact.  

Yup. Torres played hard, basically tip toeing on the edge. That hit on Seabrook was hard high hit, yes, but the intent was to finish his check and play the body. It was by no means a blindsided cheap shot, like Cooke on Savard or Marchand on Salo.

21 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Ok I missed what happened and I dont feel like searching through the thread so someone please enlighten me.

Hog dished out a brutal elbow or something? Did he get suspended? Is there a highlight?

It was an elbow, no big deal; would have been 2 minutes if Styrman got back up.

I don't see it like a "viscious, dirty hit"; imo, he was just protecting himself and the puck; that's hockey.

No intent to injure, no premeditation, just a learning opportunity for Styrman, "Don't put your face in the line of fire."

Guy must have a glass jaw or a glass neck or something.

Maybe his neck twisted around and he passed out, I don't know, didn't look like much.

Darwinian version of "Can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I don't see it like a "viscious, dirty hit"; imo, he was just protecting himself and the puck; that's hockey.

No intent to injure, no premeditation, just a learning opportunity for Styrman, "Don't put your face in the line of fire."

Maybe his neck twisted around and he passed out, I don't know, didn't look like much.

No intent to injure? He did a overhead elbow to the face. He had to aim up to accomplish that. Lol.

Protecting himself from what? A poke check? Or his own bad positioning? He’s only in a vulnerable position cause HE put himself there. If somebody does that to Horvat or Miller I bet you’d be all over CDC crying about it and not saying “well it’s a learning experience for glass jaw Horvat”.

• Upvote 1

On October 13, 2019 at 2:04 AM, Phat Fingers said:

So true and funny thing is those three dirty players all have something no Canuck has.......a ring....

say what you want about dirty/ guys that will do anything to win , those type players are how you win a cup.....

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

No intent to injure? He did a overhead elbow to the face. He had to aim up to accomplish that. Lol.

Protecting himself from what? A poke check? Or his own bad positioning? He’s only in a vulnerable position cause HE put himself there. If somebody does that to Horvat or Miller I bet you’d be all over CDC crying about it and not saying “well it’s a learning experience for glass jaw Horvat”.

Well, you'd lose that bet.

I like hockey not ringette.

"Overhead elbow?

Did you make that up?

Hog is about the same height as Johnny Hockey.

There is nowhere for the elbow to go but up.

I was just trying to give 10pavelbure96 my take on the penalty (as he had asked).

No need to go over it all over again; any word on Styrman's recovery?

• Upvote 2

On 10/3/2019 at 10:42 AM, Horvat is a Boss said:

Hoglander gets the elbow up going for the reverse hit.

EDIT: He got 5 and a game for this play.

OK, not only do I like the fact he has an edge (if you look at the other clips, the exact same hit was put on one of his team mates a little earlier in the game so this was a bit of payback)... I definitely want to listen to Swedish colour commentary for all my games going forward  "Iy Yay Yi !!! "

It has been a long time since we weren't the team on the receiving end of all these sorts of plays.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

A teammate of his took a similar hit earlier in the game, but the elbow didn't connect. I think there may have been some premeditation.

37 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

A teammate of his took a similar hit earlier in the game, but the elbow didn't connect. I think there may have been some premeditation.

I think you are reaching.

What do you think he was thinking? 

"Let's see, I'll skate towards the puck, and XYZ Clown will follow me and try to hit me, and I'll stop and cold-cock that bad guy that tried to elbow my teammate."

I don't know (obviously) but I don't think Styrman would have got hurt if he didn't stick his face in.

I still can't find any info on Styrman's condition, after the elbow, after the game, anything at all.

You might think there would be at least something if he had been seriously injured.

Much ado about nothing, imo.

18 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

For sure, but he has to come to camp and earn it. I know its a lower league but because of the EP connection many thought J. Dahlen would be in a Canuck jersey right away...Dahlen himself and it looks like he doesn't want to put the effort in NA so he went back to the lower tier Timra League and is lighting it up at the moment

I am a HOFer in the Tim Bits league, can barely skate, but I have a rocket of a shot and can carry half the opposing team on my back.  

4 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

"Let's see, I'll skate towards the puck, and XYZ Clown will follow me and try to hit me, and I'll stop and cold-cock that bad guy that tried to elbow my teammate."

I don't know (obviously) but I don't think Styrman would have got hurt if he didn't stick his face in.

I still can't find any info on Styrman's condition, after the elbow, after the game, anything at all.

You might think there would be at least something if he had been seriously injured.

I don't think he was targeting the guy that hit his teammate. He likely saw what happened to his teammate and thought it was a dirty play that they got away with, so he thought to give them a taste of their own medicine (to whoever he got the "opportunity" to do so on).

I don't think anyone here is at fault and just think it was a bad set of circumstances. But with the play happening earlier, I can see how there could be some premeditation to return the play (again not looking to injure, but just throw the same type of hit that was thrown on his teammate).

Shouldn't matter the condition of Styrman as the elbow was there. Hoglander has the responsibility to not throw the elbow out like that (except that maybe he saw it happen earlier). EP threw a similar hit in preseason, but no elbows out.

12 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

This.  

Hogs had his back to Styman, did a reverse hit which is cool, but got his elbow up which wasn't.  

I somehow doubt Hogs meant to cold cock the guy, but he was expecting to be hit.  Styman went for the puck and it ended badly for him.  

A mistake, yes IMO.  No history of dangerous plays with intent to injure with Hogs.  

Hockey is a contact sport and Styman got contacted.  

• Like 2