The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

5 hours ago, cuporbust said:

I'm willing to bet they ban these goals eventually.  I love the spectical though. 

Ban them why? That would be stupid if they want increased scoring and excitement in the games like the NHL says they do.

I can see them not counting if it involves a high stick though.  

17 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

"Pretty much every hockey player can score that goal and he'll get smashed in the mouth if he ever attempted that in the NHL, he's undersized and I am not sold on him."

Not my thoughts but I read that online, care for a rebuttal? 

That's some sad jealousy in that statement.  

Undersized, maybe, but watch the kid train.  His core strength is off the charts.  He has already shown some physical abilities and going to far as well.  

He may not make it, but he doesn't play the game differently from players who have at the same size.  

That could change when he comes over on the smaller rink.  He goes to right places,has the IQ, Shot, skill, skating and commitment to fitness that is needed to become an NHLer.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Love this line from him: at NHL level it is tough but of course I will try.

I just hope it doesn't put a target on his back. People don't really take kindly to hot dogging. May offend a few of the wrong players. Doing wacky stuff in a shootout is one thing, but to embarrass a team on the ice. I dunno, maybe I am worrying about nothing but hey such is the life of a hardcore fan I guess.

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

I just hope it doesn't put a target on his back. People don't really take kindly to hot dogging. May offend a few of the wrong players. Doing wacky stuff in a shootout is one thing, but to embarrass a team on the ice. I dunno, maybe I am worrying about nothing but hey such is the life of a hardcore fan I guess.

is the lacrosse goal similar in its development (and acceptance) to what the dunk was in basketball 50 years ago?  Maybe over the next years we will see the lacrosse goal more and more as a way to have a higher chance to beat the goalie, when so close?  I'm surprised we don't see guys carrying the puck lacrosse style in the shoot out.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

is the lacrosse goal similar in its development (and acceptance) to what the dunk was in basketball 50 years ago?  Maybe over the next years we will see the lacrosse goal more and more as a way to have a higher chance to beat the goalie, when so close?  I'm surprised we don't see guys carrying the puck lacrosse style in the shoot out.

Too much risk losing the puck, you have to keep that forward momentum otherwise the play is dead. Imagine most players don't want to risk not even getting a shot off.

Also I don't really see the lacrosse goal on par with dunking. Unless you are doing crazy spins/alley oop off the glass to yourself. Which we don't see in games. Players generally just dunk the ball and go about business. Even in the NBA they don't really clown each other like that. Doing it in the NHL where hitting and fighting is allowed (to an extent, fighting obviously incurs a 5 minute penalty) would probably not be ideal. But again, I may be overthinking this. 

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Too much risk losing the puck, you have to keep that forward momentum otherwise the play is dead. Imagine most players don't want to risk not even getting a shot off.

Also I don't really see the lacrosse goal on par with dunking. Unless you are doing crazy spins/alley oop off the glass to yourself. Which we don't see in games. Players generally just dunk the ball and go about business. Even in the NBA they don't really clown each other like that. Doing it in the NHL where hitting and fighting is allowed (to an extent, fighting obviously incurs a 5 minute penalty) would probably not be ideal. But again, I may be overthinking this. 

When we were kids, a very long time ago, we experimented with controlling the puck by forcing it to the ice with the tip of our old wooden sticks.  Coaches got really angry, and the older players would cuss us out.  The creativity was not at all encouraged.  I think it's totally awesome the kids today are trying these new styles of controlling the puck.  I hope there is an evolution in the game that way.  Maybe not, be damn is sure makes for fun watching!

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

When we were kids, a very long time ago, we experimented with controlling the puck by forcing it to the ice with the tip of our old wooden sticks.  Coaches got really angry, and the older players would cuss us out.  The creativity was not at all encouraged.  I think it's totally awesome the kids today are trying these new styles of controlling the puck.  I hope there is an evolution in the game that way.  Maybe not, be damn is sure makes for fun watching!

Lacrosse goals are low quality plays. In the NHL the defenders wouldn't just sit there and let him make that play. Let alone let him make a play like that. It's not a matter of "I hate change because change is scary". It's a matter of that play doesn't happen in the NHL for a reason. Not cause it's creative and scary and we all hate it but because the time and space you get is limited, the defenders are bigger faster and stronger than in any other league, and cause flat out the play is hard to pull off consistently. He said himself he needed good ice and fresh tape. The ice in a lot of NHL rinks can be garbo, with all the concerts and other activities going on. If he can pull it off, sweet. I'll lose my mind seeing it. I just dunno if he should be out there actively trying to do it cause defenders may take offense to it. 

• Wat 1

12 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Lacrosse goals are low quality plays. In the NHL the defenders wouldn't just sit there and let him make that play. Let alone let him make a play like that. It's not a matter of "I hate change because change is scary". It's a matter of that play doesn't happen in the NHL for a reason. Not cause it's creative and scary and we all hate it but because the time and space you get is limited, the defenders are bigger faster and stronger than in any other league, and cause flat out the play is hard to pull off consistently. He said himself he needed good ice and fresh tape. The ice in a lot of NHL rinks can be garbo, with all the concerts and other activities going on. If he can pull it off, sweet. I'll lose my mind seeing it. I just dunno if he should be out there actively trying to do it cause defenders may take offense to it. 

Guys in the NBA didn't like getting dunked on 50 years ago too.  There was no forward pass in football.  IMO it would be cool if the lacrosse method to control the puck became more prevalent.  It may never, because the the impracticability you point out, but the game can evolve, and methods of controlling the puck is one area that has never really changes.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Höglander sniffs armpit, "Watch this, guys...."

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Basically this.  Nils Jackie Moonlander.

Edited by Borvat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Svechnikov had more time and space to pull it off for the first time in the NHL. Players have been trying it occasionally for a while.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, GoldenAlien said:

Who cares if Hoglander can or cannot score a lacrosse-style goal in the NHL?  Nobody's winning the Art Ross by potting 50 of those.  We're talking about a move that might work once every other season.  It has no bearing on anything.

The point is that he had the presence of mind to bypass the defenseman by using the back of the net to pass to himself, and the stickhandling skills to grab the puck and tuck it in on the far side.  The creativity and puck control that he showed is what's promising.  Those are attributes that could make him a 30 goal scorer in the NHL.

This is why we can't have nice things.  A prospect scores a pretty goal and suddenly he's going to lose his teeth the next time he tries it.

Here's the thing IMO few NHL defensemen will be sucked in with the pass to himself off the back of the net. They'll be tight to him and will not give him the room to double back. It certainly looks good but it's the SEL, come on guy

• Wat 1