The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

15 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I don't dislike this, but in a 1-1 game take the shot from the slot and put your team up top. No point showboating 

Im gonna have to agree. You need to make the high % plays, it's just a bit too risky at that moment and in that position. He's young though.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

I don't dislike this, but in a 1-1 game take the shot from the slot and put your team up top. No point showboating 

Let's put it this way. If that goal went in you'd be looking at another highlight viral video and you wouldn't be saying that. I'm just glad he has the guts to try these sort of things in a good league while he is young. Will give him lots of confidence to try these things heading to the NHL.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TGokou said:

Let's put it this way. If that goal went in you'd be looking at another highlight viral video and you wouldn't be saying that. I'm just glad he has the guts to try these sort of things in a good league while he is young. Will give him lots of confidence to try these things heading to the NHL.

Disagree, if he wants to make it to the bigs then he has to do the high percentage play. His other goal from behind the net was different because he had few other options and wasn't in a prime shooting area

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

That's a good point and its a silly move but still, the instincts on this kid to even try that when he's not completely wide open is unreal! Having said that, in a 1-1 game I'm sure the coach would be a little rattled and its not the best play for the moment but damn the Hog has hands for days! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Full 360 lacrosse move in traffic:

Good to get it out of his system but it's a hot dog move.

Robbie Schremp once did a similar move at a Prospect game on a 2 on 1, iirc. Where did it get him? Islander/Oilers/German league.

Risky hockey play but also dangerous - he could've skated over the defenseman's legs; his shot and/or stick could've hit player's head/face/eyes.

12 hours ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

Good to get it out of his system but it's a hot dog move.

Robbie Schremp once did a similar move at a Prospect game on a 2 on 1, iirc. Where did it get him? Islander/Oilers/German league.

Risky hockey play but also dangerous - he could've skated over the defenseman's legs; his shot and/or stick could've hit player's head/face/eyes.

I'm sure his team mate liked it too, cocked back for a one-time pass.. 

the thing about those flashy plays is that if you make them count its on the goal of the year highlight reel, if you don't it looks immature /selfish /silly..  especially if there's a real scoring chance.. 

my opinion - save it for the shootout. especially in the nhl, you gotta make the high percentage play.. he'll learn that tho.. 

On 11/10/2019 at 9:41 AM, RetroCanuck said:

Are we seeing glimpses of why a guy with such elite hands dropped to us in round two?  He’s young, but he is very selfish.  He needs to be in the AHL where he would learn team first. 

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are we seeing glimpses of why a guy with such elite hands dropped to us in round two?  He’s young, but he is very selfish.  He needs to be in the AHL where he would learn team first. 

Strikes me that many NHL players have attitude, he's young and he likes to celebrate. Who knows that other might not do the same. I'd think he'd have that mill stone around his neck being told since he was knee high to a grasshopper "you're too small kid" and given the chnace he likes to "show 'em" As long as he can repeat in the NHL why should I care  :lol:

43 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Strikes me that many NHL players have attitude, he's young and he likes to celebrate. Who knows that other might not do the same. I'd think he'd have that mill stone around his neck being told since he was knee high to a grasshopper "you're too small kid" and given the chnace he likes to "show 'em" As long as he can repeat in the NHL why should I care  :lol:

He had the puck on his forehand in a prime scoring position in a 1-1 game, and he chose to do a selfish (look at me) play.  I think Hoglander has elite skill, and he has meanness too.  I want him to mature.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Perhaps, I think its more of a tunnel vision thing. He's not much of a play maker and more of a skilled scorer with good hands. If he learns to read the ice and his teammates more I think he could become elite. Hopefully he's not a Yakupov 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Elite scorers are often very selfish players, that's one reason they become elite scorers... they love having the puck on their stick near the goal and they feel they can beat anybody, they feel that they want to be the guy taking the shot because they are good at it... of course there are lots of selfish players that aren't elite scorers too... a pain to play with because they have an acute lack of self-perception.

• Cheers 1

On 11/10/2019 at 6:19 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Not that I would try that

But it does show a young man with extreme confidence in his edges and skating

In general, I think that is a very good thing

Yep... we need players with that extra bit... for our top 6...

• Upvote 1