The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

Benning seems to be able to find the right players to draft, regardless of where they are. These players are turning out better than I thought they might (Pettersson, Boeser, Gaudette, Hoglander, Madden, Focht, Rathbone, Utunen, Silovs).

Hughes is great, but I thought he would be. Canucks were lucky he fell to #7. Same with Podkolzin, lucky he fell to #10. As for Pettersson, I didn't really know much about him before that draft, except he was Swedish, very skilled, really skinny and ranked out of the Top 10. Hoglander seems to be another one of those players who dropped, but should've been taken higher. Benning got another good one.  

Edited by NUCKER67

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

i mean, that would be great.... what makes you say that? 

I’m not sure about Alf’s statement... but Craig Button was on 1040 yesterday afternoon raving about Utanen and how much he has progressed since being drafted. 

edit... found the audio here.  Nice talk about podz, Hoglander too

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/button-podkolzin-is-a-difference-maker-1.1416079

Edited by Darius
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

i mean, that would be great.... what makes you say that? 

Utanen has a very high hockey IQ, and has been improving a lot as he physically matures.  Broberg skates great, but appears to be lost unless he has the puck and attacking.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Utanen has a very high hockey IQ, and has been improving a lot as he physically matures.  Broberg skates great, but appears to be lost unless he has the puck and attacking.  

well, as long as Edmonton gets noting out of the pick I'm good. 

Man if Jim has actually found more late round gems that does make up for some lotto luck and injury issues for other guys. Looks like Hogs has real potential . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, as long as Edmonton gets noting out of the pick I'm good. 

Man if Jim has actually found more late round gems that does make up for some lotto luck and injury issues for other guys. Looks like Hogs has real potential . 

Hogs was likely ready to play here this season.  I could see him here after his season is over in Sweden, and staying here.  He 

IMO is the playmaking hard nosed winger we need for Bo.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hogs was likely ready to play here this season.  I could see him here after his season is over in Sweden, and staying here.  He 

IMO is the playmaking hard nosed winger we need for Bo.  

Hogs-Bo-Podkolzin. Now we're cookin' with gas. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Broberg on the 3rd pair :ph34r: #TeamSoderstrom

Soderstrom has really taken off this year.  He has 9pts in 15 games already, which is 2pts more than his entire season last year.  Meanwhile Broberg has 4pts in 24 games.

Soderstrom is going to be a very good right-handed D for AZ (possibly top pairing).  I really like the Podz pick, but I wouldn't have been too upset if the Canucks had selected VS.

9 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Soderstrom has really taken off this year.  He has 9pts in 15 games already, which is 2pts more than his entire season last year.  Meanwhile Broberg has 4pts in 24 games.

Soderstrom is going to be a very good right-handed D for AZ (possibly top pairing).  I really like the Podz pick, but I wouldn't have been too upset if the Canucks had selected VS.

Isn’t Soderstrom like that Larsson we had who puts up lots of points in Europe, but can’t make it over here?  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Full lineup:

Höglander–Gustafsson-Fagemo
Pasic–Bäck–Berggren
Holtz–Henriksson–Nässén
Öberg–Gustafsson

Sandin–Söderström
Lundkvist–Ginning
Broberg-Björnfot
Norlinder

Eliasson

This whole time, I thought Alexander Holtz was a German.

Too bad they decided against bringing Costmar considering their center depth isn't strong. He had some chemistry with Hoglander in a previous tournament too.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Yeah I loved Soderstrom all year last year but Pod wasn’t supposed to drop like he did, at least in my opinion, so grabbing him was just smart. I’m glad Soderstrom is progressing well, I like the kid. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Isn’t Soderstrom like that Larsson we had who puts up lots of points in Europe, but can’t make it over here?  

Hardly.  This kid is 18yrs old putting up impressive #s in the best adult league in Swedan.  In fact, his #s are better than Hogs at the moment.  That is why he is 1st pairing on the Swedish world Jr team.  He was #11 in the draft, just behind you know who.

18 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Hardly.  This kid is 18yrs old putting up impressive #s in the best adult league in Swedan.  In fact, his #s are better than Hogs at the moment.  That is why he is 1st pairing on the Swedish world Jr team.  He was #11 in the draft, just behind you know who.

I hope this doesn't turn into a should've drafted Soderstrom thing. Just remember that Podkolzin has come out and said he wants to be the best defensive forward for Russia. Point watchers are going to surely underestimate Podkolzin.

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I hope this doesn't turn into a should've drafted Soderstrom thing. Just remember that Podkolzin has come out and said he wants to be the best defensive forward for Russia. Point watchers are going to surely underestimate Podkolzin.

Podkolizin will be judged by his effectiveness. Bob Gainer and his ilk have been fairly judged over the years and if Podkolzn  is good in his role then the admiration will follow. If he has flaws those to will be looked at.