The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

1 minute ago, Borvat said:

There is nothing nasty about that hit.  He was preparing for impact and got his arms up to protect his head, his elbow comes up after initial impact as a result. 

People labeling him a rat and comparing him to Tom Wilson are being ridiculous.   

Read my post again. I made no comparison of Hoglander to Tom Wilson. I compared how you have to take the home team's fans reaction with a grain of salt because it's rarely objective. 

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

5 minutes ago, Borvat said:

There is nothing nasty about that hit.  He was preparing for impact and got his arms up to protect his head, his elbow comes up after initial impact as a result.   I have zero issue with it.  He should protect himself.

Completely agree.

Tom Wilson? Who the heck even brought that name up?  Wilson is 6'4" 220.  Hoglander is 5'9".   Good god that is a bad take...     :picard:

Hogs was reverse hitting thinking he was getting hit right after dishing the puck. He should have gotten 2 minutes for that for sure.  

Yet there is the russian playing the next shift. 

Pathetic reffing.....again...

Edit: oh...it was UticaHockey bringing up Tom Wilson lol.....ok pal.  Are you even a fan of the Canucks or just Utica? Are you here just trying to get the Canuck fan base jacked up by bringing up a name like Tom Wilson in the Hoglander thread?  Jeezus....

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Borvat said:

There is nothing nasty about that hit.  He was preparing for impact and got his arms up to protect his head, his elbow comes up after initial impact as a result.   I have zero issue with it.  He should protect himself.

I don't want to be misunderstood, I am not invoking the "Rat" as a pejorative or negative term. If he turned out to have half the career Brad Marchand has had I think everyone on this board would be weeping with joy. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Completely agree.

Tom Wilson? Who the heck even brought that name up?  Wilson is 6'4" 220.  Hoglander is 5'9".   Good god that is a bad take...     :picard:

Hogs was reverse hitting thinking he was getting hit right after dishing the puck. He should have gotten 2 minutes for that for sure.  

Yet there is the russian playing the next shift. 

Pathetic reffing.....again...

Edit: oh...it was UticaHockey bringing up Tom Wilson lol.....ok pal.  Are you even a fan of the Canucks or just Utica? Are you here just trying to get the Canuck fan base jacked up by bringing up a name like Tom Wilson in the Hoglander thread?  Jeezus....

Nils is going to develop such a reputation as Tom's if these 5-and-games continue, end of story.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

2 hours ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

This was a launching upwards elbow to the head. But the guy who got hit stayed in the game.

So I dont see this going over 1 game suspension. 

But the chance of him getting suspended seems likely. 

I sure hoped Hogs would pile up few more points in this tourney tho. 

Hogs deserved a 2 min penalty, I will give them that, but the Russian player did basically the same thing and he got 2 and 10. it just seemed like right from the beginning that the refs were in Russians corner. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Read my post again. I made no comparison of Hoglander to Tom Wilson. I compared how you have to take the home team's fans reaction with a grain of salt because it's rarely objective. 

Watch the video.  Has nothing to do with objectivity.  He did nothing wrong.  If you see it as a vicious or blatant head shot that is your opinion.  I see a smaller player getting their arms up to brace for contact (to protect his own head) and as they impact his elbow comes up.

By saying you aren't comparing someone to someone then you use that someone as a comparison it kind of discounts your caveat. Just say what you mean. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Maybe he is following in Mad Dog Edler's footsteps.

image.png.5b9f34e4709e5e51af6305edb6bd35f1.png

did edler do anything like this to another player before he was 20?

the other guy hasn't played since- and this was early october.

look at the reponses on reddit; people are already seriously tying his name to players like marchand. if that's the reputation he's gaining for himself, there's something that needs to be removed from or altered within his game, probably.

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, 112 said:

did edler do anything like this to another player before he was 20?

the other guy hasn't played since- and this was early october.

look at the reponses on reddit; people are already seriously tying his name to players like marchand. if that's the reputation he's gaining for himself, there's something that needs to be removed from or altered within his game, probably.

I don't read comments on reddit.  Hoglander threw a reverse hit like a lot of players - especially smaller players - do.  He got his elbows up and shouldn't have.  It's people tying this latest penalty to the other one that is my point.  Edler has been suspended several times in the NHL.  Is Edler considered a vicious player now because of multiple suspensions or does reddit decide?  

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I don't read comments on reddit.  Hoglander threw a reverse hit like a lot of players - especially smaller players - do.  He got his elbows up and shouldn't have.  It's people tying this latest penalty to the other one that is my point.  Edler has been suspended several times in the NHL.  Is Edler considered a vicious player now because of multiple suspensions or does reddit decide?  

reddit does quite a bit to influence player reputations, yeah. i think if there's a pattern of 5-and-game penalties and/or suspensions that the player has to sit down and think about what they need to do to play within the rules better. as i understand it, there was another concerning play by hoglander that wasn't penalized sometime- not sure whether it was this season or last.

but if he doesn't want to become another 'rat' among other fanbases/league officials, he does need to calm down, sorry to say.

another poster said it well; we are all biased when evaluating the sportsmanship of our prospects/players. that people laugh at the guy who points this out is sadly good tell of the quality of discussion that can be had here.

Edited by 112

7 minutes ago, 112 said:

reddit does quite a bit to influence player reputations, yeah. i think if there's a pattern of 5-and-game penalties and/or suspensions that the player has to sit down and think about what they need to do to play within the rules better. as i understand it, there was another concerning play by hoglander that wasn't penalized sometime- not sure whether it was this season or last.

but if he doesn't want to become another 'rat' among other fanbases/league officials, he does need to calm down, sorry to say.

another poster said it well; we are all biased when evaluating the sportsmanship of our prospects/players. that people laugh at the guy who points this out is wonderful example of the quality of discussion that can be had here.

This latest penalty is not even close to vicious or blatant - linking them is not realistic.  Look at all the players getting suspended in these IIHF games for contact to the head.  Yet a Finnish player throws a flying elbow at a US player, knocks him down with a bleeding nose and gets nothing.  So if it gets called is this player now a bad player or is he not because it didn't get called and noone is talking about it on reddit. 

I say perspective is just as important as objectivity.  As in this is getting blown way out of proportion in my opinion all based on the one bad hit that we all acknowledge was bad which apparently will follow him - like it did Edler?  

Edited by Borvat

1 hour ago, SergioMomesso said:

So what’s he supposed to do there? 

Pretty much anything other than throw a reverse hit with his elbows up in front of his face.

With him being a small player, I get it, he wants to be tough and make players think about hitting him. He knows better than most of CDC about the IIHF rules on head contact though, and he has to be smarter there about getting his arms up the way he did. That's been a terrible trend for a player getting hit to do for a while now, and started because the guys hitting would come in with head shots, cheap shots, sticks up, etc.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

the ejection sucks, but I have no issue with the hit. the canucks need more edge, and it definitely wasn't cheap or an attempt to injure. 

45 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Too bad Hogs got the game.....I taped the darn thing just so I could see Pod's and him battle...…...

Personal opinion here, is that I agree with you 2, but it is perception, and with the elbow there on the follow through, it may have appeared that it was the primary point of contact with the head. So I don't blame the refs......was it worth game ejection......not sure about that, but I am not the ref, so ok......let's move on....

For me, and this tournament, it is seeing what each player has in their bucket, that is why I watch it......in Hogs case, what I have been seeing against the best U20's in the world is, the ability to #1. Score and be a threat each and every time on the ice, his #2. Ability to come back in the play defensively, and #3. His ability to play physical and not avoid contact, including in high traffic areas...……………...I think Hogs passes all tests with flying colors, in a elite way. I really like his high end offensive and physical play, despite the game suspension. I hope he does not loose that attitude. IMO, this tournament has been a complete success for Hogs.

As for Pods, what I am seeing as a under-ager, is a very aware, disciplined winger, with elite passing skills, and strong defensive awareness, he will look good with Pettersson and Boeser. I hope he gets into next years tournament, where he is at the dominate age, and we can see more of his offense, as in this tournament he is not used to drive play.

I really like his awareness and passing. Just doesn't make mistakes......

I am so looking forward to seeing these 2 playing for us over the next few years. IMO, I think Hogs is NHL ready, with Pods being a year away, which is just fine with me!

• Cheers 3

Suspension worthy or not, a lot of Swedish fans will consider Hogs as the reason for the loss.  Terrible thing for the kid to live with.  Fell bad for him.

From what I've seen of this years' WJC games, the refs single handily ruining the series.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Suspension worthy or not, a lot of Swedish fans will consider Hogs as the reason for the loss.  Terrible thing for the kid to live with.  Fell bad for him.

From what I've seen of this years' WJC games, the refs single handily ruining the series.

Agreed. This is the sad part in all of this.  Tough for an 18 year old kid.

20 minutes ago, 112 said:

another poster said it well; we are all biased when evaluating the sportsmanship of our prospects/players. that people laugh at the guy who points this out is sadly good tell of the quality of discussion that can be had here.

Sorry buds, but I don't actually worry too much about that "other" poster says, nor the "sportsmanship", a smaller guy has to make space for himself, and get a rep, so that he doesn't end up being a target to the players.....I am sure Marchand and Wilson could care a rats arse, what the opposing fans think of them. The simple fact is that what they do, gives them space and time, and makes others play a safer game while they are on the ice.

In ELITE HOCKEY, whether in elite junior tournaments, or the NHL, it is about having a edge over your opposition, anyway you can, within the realms of normal play, which is where Hoglander plays. If it was penalty after penalty after penalty, well then sure, he would have to change his play, but as of now, that edge has gotten him to this level, as much as anything. It allows him a mind set and time and space to use his elite hockey skills......

I am not changing a thing........very refreshing actually!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2