Sign in to follow this  
ItalianCanuck1

Nils Höglander | LW

2 hours ago, AV's Coin said:

Doesn't the fact Russians did not have the puck make the hit worse???

Hoglander himself had the puck, and the guy was coming directly at him to hit him.

• Upvote 2

Suspension worthy or not, a lot of Swedish fans will consider Hogs as the reason for the loss.  Terrible thing for the kid to live with.  Fell bad for him.

From what I've seen of this years' WJC games, the refs single handily ruining the series.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Suspension worthy or not, a lot of Swedish fans will consider Hogs as the reason for the loss.  Terrible thing for the kid to live with.  Fell bad for him.

From what I've seen of this years' WJC games, the refs single handily ruining the series.

Agreed. This is the sad part in all of this.  Tough for an 18 year old kid.

Just saw the hit.

Man that was all happening so fast looks like he saw the hit coming and reacted /tried to protect himself unfortunate event probably deserves the suspension, you cant do that. Though  I don't think it was malicious.

He's starting to get a history of head hits he will need to be more careful. 

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, 112 said:

did edler do anything like this to another player before he was 20?

the other guy hasn't played since- and this was early october.

look at the reponses on reddit; people are already seriously tying his name to players like marchand. if that's the reputation he's gaining for himself, there's something that needs to be removed from or altered within his game, probably.

Good. We need a guy like that. Every team in the league would want a Brad Marchand on their top line or a Nils Hog in their pool.

Get real

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Just saw the hit.

Man that was all happening so fast looks like he saw the hit coming and reacted /tried to protect himself unfortunate event probably deserves the suspension, you cant do that. Though  I don't think it was malicious.

He's starting to get a history of head hits he will need to be more careful. 

it only deserved a 2 min, the Russian player was right back out there on the powerplay,  fair is fair Russia player did the same kind of hit and only got 2 instead of 5. Hogs is 5'9" the other guy is 5'11" couldn't have been much of a head hit

• Upvote 1

I don't think the hit is suspension worthy. He was just bracing himself for contact. Denisenko was aiming to hit him. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think at most it's only borderline worthy of a suspension and ultimately quite subjective.  

It might have been due to the elbow follow through as others have mentioned but I don't think it's enough for him to warrant having a reputation around the league.  Reverse hitters like Datsyuk have thrown similar if more controlled hits and gotten away with it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

I don't think the hit is suspension worthy. He was just bracing himself for contact. Denisenko was aiming to hit him. 

Hog is a big kid didn’t you know...

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 112 said:

did edler do anything like this to another player before he was 20?

the other guy hasn't played since- and this was early october.

look at the reponses on reddit; people are already seriously tying his name to players like marchand. if that's the reputation he's gaining for himself, there's something that needs to be removed from or altered within his game, probably.

Check out these highlight clips from the Finland US game. Two elbows and a direct boarding from behind.  Perspective is important. 

https://www.tsn.ca/finland-s-gm-kristian-tanus-not-facing-suspension-vs-team-canada-at-world-junior-championship-1.1421746

• Hydration 1

Just now, bree2 said:

it only deserved a 2 min, the Russian player was right back out there on the powerplay,  fair is fair Russia player did the same kind of hit and only got 2 instead of 5. Hogs is 5'9" the other guy is 5'11" couldn't have been much of a head hit

You watched the replay?

He clearly saw the russian about to lower the boom on him raised the forearm shivver to protect himself and caught the guy square in the head with it.  it was a reaction to protect himself but it was a clear head shot. Therefore he deserves what he got. Regardless of what ever other poor calls were made in this case it was the right call. 

If it said Marchand on his sweater he might have gotten complemented on a nice clean hit by the refs and a pat on the ass.

He’s got to be careful. 

NHLers will give him a pounding if he does any of that at this level. He’d get humbled pretty quickly. They ain’t afraid of Marchand for his cheap shots, he constantly is targeted physically. The rat now is dubbed down from his dirty play mainly because he is a good scorer though and that’s what teams fear about him. 

I’d rather him not build that sort of reputation  for himself. Rather fear his scoring than go after him and be willing to take more liberties on our team because of iffy plays. 

• Hydration 1

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He’s got to be careful. 

NHLers will give him a pounding if he does any of that at this level. He’d get humbled pretty quickly. They ain’t afraid of Marchand for his cheap shots, he constantly is targeted physically. The rat now is dubbed down from his dirty play mainly because he is a good scorer though and that’s what teams fear about him. 

I’d rather him not build that sort of reputation  for himself. Rather fear his scoring than go after him and be willing to take more liberties on our team because of iffy plays. 

There was nothing "cheap" or "iffy" or "dirty" about that play.  Equating it with what Marchand does is completely fallacious.  The only "reputation" possible from it is that he doesn't shy away from contact and will protect himself.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Borvat said:

This latest penalty is not even close to vicious or blatant - linking them is not realistic.  Look at all the players getting suspended in these IIHF games for contact to the head.  Yet a Finnish player throws a flying elbow at a US player, knocks him down with a bleeding nose and gets nothing.  So if it gets called is this player now a bad player or is he not because it didn't get called and noone is talking about it on reddit. 

I say perspective is just as important as objectivity.  As in this is getting blown way out of proportion in my opinion all based on the one bad hit that we all acknowledge was bad which apparently will follow him - like it did Edler?  

Reffing has been horrible and very inconsistent.  In the Canada game that is on now the Fin got high sticked and was bleeding and the refs did not give Canada a penalty.  Instead, the ref brain trust gives the injured Fin a penalty 10 minute suspension.

Haha...shockingly bad!!

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

The Hogs reverse hit was fine. Should have just gotten 2 minutes.

Love Hoglander. Can't wait till he gets on the Canucks!!    The mamby pambies can cry more when he gets physical in the NHL when it is needed.  :lol:

• Hydration 1
  • Confused 1

Not even mad. We could use a Marchand type. Someones gotta take up his mantle after he retires anyways::D

• Like 1