The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

On 4/24/2020 at 12:56 AM, filthycanuck said:

Good thing nobody cares about your opinion

good luck thinking we will resign tanev over markstrom and toffoli  which benning paid a decent price for.  If you listen to benning he said theres 7 players ready for nhl next yr we have developed  i assume macewen  brisebois  rafferty juolevi lind rathbone   depietro all are knocking on door   next season  then following season lockwood  podzolkin  hoglander will be pushing for spots i assume tanev benn eriksson sutter rousell beagle baerchi will be gone by expansion draft or before 

39 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Hogs is ours!

He just signed an ELC...I hope he comes to Utica next year and gets used to the smaller ice...

https://www.tsn.ca/vancouver-canucks-sign-f-nils-hoglander-to-elc-1.1471110

I hope he does as well. 1 to acclimatize to North America, smaller ice, his teammates and coaches. 2 for us fans to have better chance to watch him play 

I have give him a bigger chance of being on the big club next year than most, either from the starting roster or an injury call up that sticks.  I know the intent is for it to be a development year for him, but there are factors that could leave a spot open for him on the Canucks.

1.  We have cap issues and he is a cheap player.  Through a variety of means we will be dropping some More expensive players and depth before next season just for cap compliance.  Are we likely to find a player who can provide more value in a roster spot for $800k?

2.  His style of play is well suited to the NHL.  There are no indications at all that he needs to learn the lessons of being defensively aware or giving consistent effort that guys like Goldobin and Virtanen did.  Imagine Tyler Motte’s energy, edge, and motor with the skills of Goldobin and that is what Hoglander is already.  Hoglander is short, but stocky at around 190lbs and probably more by training camp.

3.  Ferland is going to have a pencilled in spot on the bottom 6 LW... with either him or Roussel on the 3rd line.  There is at least an even money chance that Ferland doesn’t make it out of pre-season before being put on LTIR.  That leaves a hole and not a lot of options.

4.  An an injury to Miller or Pearson leaves a need for someone who can play a skill offensive game.  Would we have anyone better on the farm to call up than Hoglander (assuming he goes to Utica).

5.  We have Podkolzin who is almost certainly going to be in the lineup the year after, Benning has outright said the plan is for him to come right to the NHL. It would likely on the 3rd line where Hoglander would also be.  Having Hoglander with a year of experience seems like a good idea rather than putting two rookies into a line at the same time.

6.  Maybe he is just good enough to best out other guys at camp.  I don’t dismiss the idea that he could push Pearson down to the 3rd line purely on merit.

Edited by Provost

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I have give him a bigger chance of being on the big club next year than most, either from the starting roster or an injury call up that sticks.  I know the intent is for it to be a development year for him, but there are factors that could leave a spot open for him on the Canucks.

1.  We have cap issues and he is a cheap player.  Through a variety of means we will be dropping some More expensive players and depth before next season just for cap compliance.  Are we likely to find a player who can provide more value in a roster spot for $800k?

2.  His style of play is well suited to the NHL.  There are no indications at all that he needs to learn the lessons of being defensively aware or giving consistent effort that guys like Goldobin and Virtanen did.  Imagine Tyler Motte’s energy, edge, and motor with the skills of Goldobin and that is what Hoglander is already.  Hoglander is short, but stocky at around 190lbs and probably more by training camp.

3.  Ferland is going to have a pencilled in spot on the bottom 6 LW... with either him or Roussel on the 3rd line.  There is at least an even money chance that Ferland doesn’t make it out of pre-season before being put on LTIR.  That leaves a hole and not a lot of options.

4.  An an injury to Miller or Pearson leaves a need for someone who can play a skill offensive game.  Would we have anyone better on the farm to call up than Hoglander (assuming he goes to Utica).

5.  We have Podkolzin who is almost certainly going to be in the lineup the year after, Benning has outright said the plan is for him to come right to the NHL. It would likely on the 3rd line where Hoglander would also be.  Having Hoglander with a year of experience seems like a good idea rather than putting two rookies into a line at the same time.

6.  Maybe he is just good enough to best out other guys at camp.  I don’t dismiss the idea that he could push Pearson down to the 3rd line purely on merit.

I like that kind of talk...!

Podz and Hogs is going to be a thing....

• Cheers 1

On 4/28/2020 at 3:44 PM, canuktravella said:

good luck thinking we will resign tanev over markstrom and toffoli  which benning paid a decent price for.  If you listen to benning he said theres 7 players ready for nhl next yr we have developed  i assume macewen  brisebois  rafferty juolevi lind rathbone   depietro all are knocking on door   next season  then following season lockwood  podzolkin  hoglander will be pushing for spots i assume tanev benn eriksson sutter rousell beagle baerchi will be gone by expansion draft or before 

Don’t forget Jasek and Bailey, and maybe Lockwood.

• Like 1

so NHL or saunter on home to Sweden? Wish the kid would just fully commit to NA regardless of what league he plays in. Hope he makes it next year I guess, we need skilled cheap contracts, hopefully we dump some useless overpaid guys before next season too

3 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

so NHL or saunter on home to Sweden? Wish the kid would just fully commit to NA regardless of what league he plays in. Hope he makes it next year I guess, we need skilled cheap contracts, hopefully we dump some useless overpaid guys before next season too

Part of it is the transfer agreement and the club in Sweden. Höglander has stated a number of times that he’d be willing to do some time in the AHL, if that’s what’s needed for his development and eventual career placement on the NHL roster. Without having access to a copy of his contract, it’s difficult to say what the exact terms of his European assignment clause are. However, from what’s trickled out this week, it looks like the main part of the clause is based on the transfer agreement and him being under 23 years old and not a first round pick, which triggers a clause where his Swedish club needs to approve Höglander being sent to the AHL, or limits AHL time to 10 games, before triggering a return to the SHL, unless otherwise negotiated with Rögle. There may also be some player elected elements to his clause, but from what’s been reported this week, it seems mostly that Höglander’s clause is dictated by the transfer agreement, and the player himself hasn’t really demanded an “NHL or saunter on home to Sweden” condition on his contract.

EDIT: Interestingly, Elite Prospects has Höglander assigned to Utica for next season. This may just be an automated function on their player profiles, but it’s also quite possible there’s already intention for Hogs to come to Canucks camp, and then either make the NHL roster, or go down and do his 10 AHL games, before making the call on whether or not he returns to Sweden.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

I honestly believe that the Sweden thing makes it more likely he sticks with the big club out of training camp rather than less.  Kind of like not sending a kid back to junior when they can't go to the AHL.

If he went to Utica, he is there for the first "offensive" injury call up.  If he is in Europe he can't get some stretches in the NHL to develop.  I listed reasons above where he could be slotted into our 3rd line where he can be protected but still get enough development minutes... maybe even end up on the 2nd unit PP after a while.  The Swedish league is good and playing against men, but he is close enough to NHL ready that you want to have him here if you can.

20 minutes ago, Provost said:

I honestly believe that the Sweden thing makes it more likely he sticks with the big club out of training camp rather than less.  Kind of like not sending a kid back to junior when they can't go to the AHL.

If he went to Utica, he is there for the first "offensive" injury call up.  If he is in Europe he can't get some stretches in the NHL to develop.  I listed reasons above where he could be slotted into our 3rd line where he can be protected but still get enough development minutes... maybe even end up on the 2nd unit PP after a while.  The Swedish league is good and playing against men, but he is close enough to NHL ready that you want to have him here if you can.

I think the SHL really wants to become an alternative to the AHL as an optional development/farm system for the NHL. Not to the point of becoming affiliate teams, but with SHL teams having very close workings and cooperation with NHL teams, when it comes to developing players drafted out of the Swedish system. I would not be surprised to see it become normal in future years for many young Swedish (and other European) players to go on loan transfers where, throughout the season, they get “demoted” and “called up” between the SHL and NHL (at least as much as would be allowed by the terms of various agreements). 

• Upvote 2

I still think if he wants to do best for his career, he has signed so stay committed to the NHL. He may not crack our lineup with LoserSSon taking up key spots from more deserving better hockey players, I can only hope we get a free buyout to get rid of that waste of space.

Hog may need more than 10 games in Utica, so hopefully its not hey I did 10 games now call me up or I am bouncing back to my Motherland...Looking forward to hopefully seeing him at the youngstars tourney if they have one later with a delayed start to the season?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think the SHL really wants to become an alternative to the AHL as an optional development/farm system for the NHL. Not to the point of becoming affiliate teams, but with SHL teams having very close workings and cooperation with NHL teams, when it comes to developing players drafted out of the Swedish system. I would not be surprised to see it become normal in future years for many young Swedish (and other European) players to go on loan transfers where, throughout the season, they get “demoted” and “called up” between the SHL and NHL (at least as much as would be allowed by the terms of various agreements). 

If he could play 9 games in the NHL and then go to Utica until the World Juniors training camps in December that would be ideal.

We then know if he is ready for the NHL or can go join his Swedish club.   

From a pure development angle, that would be amazing.  He gets a taste of the NHL to learn what he needs to work on.  He gets more time on the smaller ice in the AHL playing big minutes, then he gets to play a best on best tourney of his peers before heading back and playing on a men’s league where they have fewer games and more practice and gym time.

• Cheers 2