The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

3 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I can see why you'd say that but was he though? Pettersson was by far the best player in the SHL before coming over to NA.

Yes, ofc. But we aren't talking skill, but readiness. For example I couldn't see Hogz being pile driven by Matheson like Petey was when he got concussed.  From the limited exposure I've see, Hogz has an NHL skill set,  not at Petey's level, though,  but definitely has an NHL-ready body and work ethic

Right now this could would make 3LW if you ask me. That means if we resign toffoli..... and maybe somehow rid ourselves of Eriksson you got

Miller - Pettersson - Toffoli

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

Hoglander - Gaudette - Virtanen

Roussel - Sutter - Beagle/McEwen

That is one hell of an opening night roster.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mr.53 said:

Right now this could would make 3LW if you ask me. That means if we resign toffoli..... and maybe somehow rid ourselves of Eriksson you got

I find your lack of Motte disturbing.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Mr.53 said:

... only if you don’t look at the defence we would have to ice... yikes.

I do think that there is a possibility of Hoglander being in the NHL rather than have him go back to Sweden.

A lot of it depends on who we can get rid of and if Ferland makes it through the exhibition season before getting dinged.

Hoglander doesn’t have to be ready to excel in the NHL, he just has to be ready  to hold his own.  We don’t go too far down the depth chart to find him as the next best option, especially at his price tag.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

... only if you don’t look at the defence we would have to ice... yikes.

I do think that there is a possibility of Hoglander being in the NHL rather than have him go back to Sweden.

A lot of it depends on who we can get rid of and if Ferland makes it through the exhibition season before getting dinged.

Hoglander doesn’t have to be ready to excel in the NHL, he just has to be ready  to hold his own.  We don’t go too far down the depth chart to find him as the next best option, especially at his price tag.

Honestly, I would pony up as Toronto did, and pay the price to rid ourselves of the Eriksson contact, and maybe the Beagle contact if possible.

I know the price is steep, but that forward group, with the added 9 mill from those two, you can put together a solid defence and resign Markstrom. 

If we get a free amnesty buyout, great. If not, well just pony up and trade him.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.53 said:

Honestly, I would pony up as Toronto did, and pay the price to rid ourselves of the Eriksson contact, and maybe the Beagle contact if possible.

I know the price is steep, but that forward group, with the added 9 mill from those two, you can put together a solid defence and resign Markstrom. 

If we get a free amnesty buyout, great. If not, well just pony up and trade him.

I have been advocating paying the price to get rid of Eriksson for a couple of years.  The opportunity cost of not being able to sign players is higher than the cost of getting rid of him.

I think we might have missed the boat though.  Depending on how things are resolved with the coronavirus, ditching dead cap might be close to impossible as too many teams will need to and too few teams willing to take on cap hits.

On the other hand, if salaries are rolled back 30% or escrow ends up being that much, maybe it increases the chance Eriksson just retires early.  After his signing bonus this summer that would mean he would be playing for $1.75 million per year in real cash.  That is a lot to walk away from unless you consider he has already banked over $50 million in career earnings.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I have been advocating paying the price to get rid of Eriksson for a couple of years.  The opportunity cost of not being able to sign players is higher than the cost of getting rid of him.

I think we might have missed the boat though.  Depending on how things are resolved with the coronavirus, ditching dead cap might be close to impossible as too many teams will need to and too few teams willing to take on cap hits.

On the other hand, if salaries are rolled back 30% or escrow ends up being that much, maybe it increases the chance Eriksson just retires early.  After his signing bonus this summer that would mean he would be playing for $1.75 million per year in real cash.  That is a lot to walk away from unless you consider he has already banked over $50 million in career earnings.  

Agreed! But it seems like we are in the minority as people just love the idea of prospects. It appears that a first round pick is the going price to rid about 6 mill of your cap in a trade with a dead weight player. I would say if someone like an Ottawa would take a beagle on top that would mean giving up 2 of our super seven to sweeten the deal. If our Super Seven are (Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, Rathbone, Tryamkin, Rafferty and Dipietro) would you be willing to give up say two of these guys to get it done?

To me it's a no brainer. 

5 minutes ago, Mr.53 said:

Agreed! But it seems like we are in the minority as people just love the idea of prospects. It appears that a first round pick is the going price to rid about 6 mill of your cap in a trade with a dead weight player. I would say if someone like an Ottawa would take a beagle on top that would mean giving up 2 of our super seven to sweeten the deal. If our Super Seven are (Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, Rathbone, Tryamkin, Rafferty and Dipietro) would you be willing to give up say two of these guys to get it done?

To me it's a no brainer. 

My answer to that is no! NO! NO! NO! NO!

Before we do anything...we pay Eriksson his 3 Million and re-assign him to Utica immediately

We do everything we can to get him to retire asap....maybe re-assign him to the ECHL

We wait for a hope and prayer and a compliance buyout, which I think will happen anyways

Then if the first does not work, we use this.

Then we offer Baertschi a job as a assistant coach in Utica or a scouting job in Europe if he retires

Then if we have to get rid of anyone else, we get rid of Sutter over Beagle

and "IF" we have to do that we use our 2021 1st, in a package to get rid of him

But we do not trade away current assets......maybe Lind, Rafferty or DiPietro

But none of the others and not more than one...…..Sutter still has some value and if we get rid of the others

we will have more than enough cap to sign everyone.

41 minutes ago, Mr.53 said:

To me it's a no brainer. 

I would have done a 1st rounder a couple of years ago, but not now.  A 2nd rounder and a good prospect (not named Hoglander or Podkolzin).

We can’t really spend the saved cap this season as we need to save it for re-signing Petterson and Hughes next year.  So really bullying Eriksson this year is a good option to test his resolve and should have been done already.  Tell him in his exit interview that he will be reporting directly to the minors next year and not to the NHL training camp, and that we have moved on from him.  He can’t complain he hasn’t been given a chance, we hold the moral high ground... he hasn’t earned his contract.  There is at least even money that he retires, especially considering the reduced salary going forward due to the pandemic.

If it doesn’t work, then trade him next offseason for the price of the last year of his contract when we REALLY can’t afford him.

The amount of money we NEED to shed this year could be attained by a smaller Baertschi or Sutter move that should cost a lot less to do.  Fixing the defence isn’t going to happen no matter what unless we move a forward like Virtanen and Demko out as a hockey trade.

Edited by Provost

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

I would have done a 1st rounder a couple of years ago, but not now.  A 2nd rounder and a good prospect (not named Hoglander or Podkolzin).

We can’t really spend the saved cap this season as we need to save it for re-signing Petterson and Hughes next year.  So really bullying Eriksson this year is a good option to test his resolve and should have been done already.  Tell him in his exit interview that he will be reporting directly to the minors next year and not to the NHL training camp, and that we have moved on from him.  He can’t complain he hasn’t been given a chance, we hold the moral high ground... he hasn’t earned his contract.  There is at least even money that he retires, especially considering the reduced salary going forward due to the pandemic.

If it doesn’t work, then trade him next offseason for the price of the last year of his contract when we REALLY can’t afford him.

I'm all for this idea. My only thing is I feel if we did rid him now, we can capitalize on this year with Petterson and Hughes on Rookie deals and actually make a an impact the playoffs next year. 

But I think we are in agreement. I would rather lose out on a couple prospects and keep this team together than break it up because of what might be. This forward group is legit. If it came down to it, we could afford to lose someone like a Rathbone, a Lind, or both to keep this team together easily if you ask me.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Mr.53 said:

I'm all for this idea. My only thing is I feel if we did rid him now, we can capitalize on this year with Petterson and Hughes on Rookie deals and actually make a an impact the playoffs next year. 

But I think we are in agreement. I would rather lose out on a couple prospects and keep this team together than break it up because of what might be. This forward group is legit. If it came down to it, we could afford to lose someone like a Rathbone, a Lind, or both to keep this team together easily if you ask me.

Personally I don't think you can think about the now. The team is not ready to seriously contend for the SC. It's a 2-3 years away so you have to introduce the youngster so in a couple of years they'll be hitting their peaks, not now, 2-3 years from now And most of all we've moved Madden out I hope that's the last of the prospects to move on. The Vcr D needs to be refreshed. From now going forward we're going to be drafting further and further down the list.

Edited by Fred65

21 hours ago, Provost said:

We all might be surprised to see what vets decide to retire rather than face the risk of C-19 infection. When Ericksson sits down with his family the thought has to cross his mind that he has done well enough and lets retire. Other big name contract players could come to the same conclusion. 

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

We all might be surprised to see what vets decide to retire rather than face the risk of C-19 infection. When Ericksson sits down with his family the thought has to cross his mind that he has done well enough and lets retire. Other big name contract players could come to the same conclusion. 

I would be surprised if that were the case. Since even an old player like LE is still in his thirties, and the youngest person to die from this disease in BC was in his forties.

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

I would be surprised if that were the case. Since even an old player like LE is still in his thirties, and the youngest person to die from this disease in BC was in his forties.

Death is not the only outcome of Covid, just the worst.

People are ending up with messed up lungs, blood clots requiring amputations and more.

While the chances are small, the consequences can be big.

On 5/12/2020 at 6:11 AM, Mr.53 said:

That 3rd line gets eaten up, taken advantaged of and destroyed in their own zone.

Also you forgot about Motte and Ferland(if healthy) that bring that physical presence we'll need come playoff time.

8 hours ago, Googlie said:

Will Hogz be on the charter plane that brings Marky & Petey back for the season resumption?

Maybe on the way to NA but if he comes here it's straight to Utica. We'd be fighting for playoff lives or maybe be playing in the playoffs and would have healthy bodies.

On 5/14/2020 at 4:35 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Maybe on the way to NA but if he comes here it's straight to Utica. We'd be fighting for playoff lives or maybe be playing in the playoffs and would have healthy bodies.

AHL closed the 19/20 season,  not just a pause.  If and when it reopens will be in the fall/ winter for the 2020/21 season   My thought was that we might bring Hogz over just to soak up the NHL atmosphere, practice with the team, not necessarily to play a game, although he would be eligible for the taxi squad, no?