The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

13 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Oh, I’m thrilled with this pick, I think it is an unbelievable steal. But with the robust game that I expect this kid to play, I want him to have the best chance possible to succeed, Marchand and Gallagher both made the league as 20 year olds, Hoglander is 19, I think you agree that another year In Sweden would be great for this kid. The way this kid trains he will be faster, stronger, more ready to compete in the best league in the world.

He has an out clause that if he gets sent to the AHL that he could opt to go back to Sweden. I'm fine either way, but if he cracks the NHL roster, it's because he earned it not because he's been given it. It doesn't matter to me if he plays another year in Sweden or sticks around in Utica and could get potential call ups.

Hogs has all the moves of a player I used to hate...still not fond of....P. Kane...as well as a few that Kane can't do....

Predictions;

We will be playing for the cup next year and Hogs will join us for the run...

We will win the cup with Hogs and Podz playing a big role in 2022....

The Donald will be seeking asylum in Putinlandia....by the end of 2021...

2 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Hogs has all the moves of a player I used to hate...still not fond of....P. Kane...as well as a few that Kane can't do....

Predictions;

Love the enthusiasm.

I made a prediction two years ago that we will begin truly being in contention by 2022 and, so far, it still looks like it could be realistic.

My prediction is that by the end of the 2021-2022 season Hoglander, Horvat, and Podkolzin will be a feared line in the NHL.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Predictions;

Yeah, we have great promise among the forwards, but we have to rebuild this defence to win a cup.

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yeah, we have great promise among the forwards, but we have to rebuild this defence to win a cup.

Tryamkin, Rafferty and a healthy Joulevi might be enough...we really only need to replace Tanev if we don't sign him, Benn and Fantenberg...

I think our D. could be better than they have shown with a better structure provided by a better coaching scheme than we have seen...hopefully they hire someone who can make that happen...Green is finally doing alright with the forwards but he doesn't seem to know how to coach the defensive schemes very well...

6 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Tryamkin, Rafferty and a healthy Joulevi might be enough...we really only need to replace Tanev if we don't sign him, Benn and Fantenberg...

I think our D. could be better than they have shown with a better structure provided by a better coaching scheme than we have seen...hopefully they hire someone who can make that happen...Green is finally doing alright with the forwards but he doesn't seem to know how to coach the defensive schemes very well...

I tend to think you're right about defensive schemes. I understand that Green wants the D to jump in and it certainly provides more entertainment ( some times good some times not so much) but IMO the first move that needs to be made is to limit this "jumping into the attack to certain D'men. You can't let the likes of Benn and Fatenburg or Tanev to jump up because  they don't have the wheels to get back and prevent an out numbered counter attack. Plus of course we need more emphasis for forwards to retreat better. One of the things I don't always like about Virtanen is his occasional slow back check ( as a rule the TV rarely shows the back checkers )

On 6/23/2020 at 11:40 AM, Fred65 said:

I tend to think you're right about defensive schemes. I understand that Green wants the D to jump in and it certainly provides more entertainment ( some times good some times not so much) but IMO the first move that needs to be made is to limit this "jumping into the attack to certain D'men. You can't let the likes of Benn and Fatenburg or Tanev to jump up because  they don't have the wheels to get back and prevent an out numbered counter attack. Plus of course we need more emphasis for forwards to retreat better. One of the things I don't always like about Virtanen is his occasional slow back check ( as a rule the TV rarely shows the back checkers )

I thought Jake was MUCH better on the back-check this year, he is starting to get it...I do agree in previous years he needed work...I just think the whole D. scheme could be tightened up quite a bit with better coaching...

The Wild seem to have that side of there game down...so we will get to see how it goes with us having a decent O. scheme and a great PP but the Wild having the D. scheme...

If we can tighten up a bit we should sail past them...but if not it could be ugly...

9 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I thought Jake was MUCH better on the back-check this year, he is starting to get it...I do agree in previous years he needed work...I just think the whole D. scheme could be tightened up quite a bit with better coaching...

The Wild seem to have that side of there game down...so we will get to see how it goes with us having a decent O. scheme and a great PP but the Wild having the D. scheme...

If we can tighten up a bit we should sail past them...but if not it could be ugly...

Back checking is a state of mind. Some players just never get it, for them it's all about scoring

56 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

He is certainly among our best back checking forwards, as anybody who watches the games is aware. One clue would be the fact that he leads the team in takeaways over the last few years, by a substantial margin. Anyone whining about Jake's back checking is either clueless or dishonest.

That Fred65 guy says the weirdest things in order to take pot shots at the organization. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Jake was one of our only back checking forwards. Was I watching different games? 

Could be, I watched live and maybe you watched on TV. The TV shots rarely pan backwards to see who's busting it back checking or hanging back for a breakaway. As a rule the TV follows the play/puck. I know what I saw, some time Virtanen wasn't even pushing on his back check, gliding

• Wat 1

8 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

That Fred65 guy says the weirdest things in order to take pot shots at the organization. 

He really does. The funniest one I saw was when he claimed that if the Canucks had the kind of direct contact with one of their NCAA players that they stated they had, it was jeopardizing the player's right to play in the NCAA.

Then to support his case he quoted a section of the NCAA rules, which, to anybody who actually read what he quoted, stated very clearly the opposite: That all contact between the amateur players and the NHL team must be direct, and not through an agent or advisor.

On 6/23/2020 at 12:23 PM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

They should get Scott Niedermayer as "D" coach...or Willie Mitchell

Edited by Pete M
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Could be, I watched live and maybe you watched on TV. The TV shots rarely pan backwards to see who's busting it back checking or hanging back for a breakaway. As a rule the TV follows the play/puck. I know what I saw, some time Virtanen wasn't even pushing on his back check, gliding

The fact I watch on TV should reinforce my case. If the attacking team is pushing the puck, I shouldn't be able to see Jake back checking. Since it would not show him. If what you said about him were true. Lol. Jake can catch pretty much everyone in the league in a foot race, he knows it. It's literally the one part of his defensive game I know is among the best on the team, especially when fully engaged in the game. I will die on this hill.

Edit: Regardless, eye liek dis guy Hawglandur

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

14 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

He really does. The funniest one I saw was when he claimed that if the Canucks had the kind of direct contact with one of their NCAA players that they stated they had, it was jeopardizing the player's right to play in the NCAA.

Then to support his case he quoted a section of the NCAA rules, which, to anybody who actually read what he quoted, stated very clearly the opposite: That all contact between the amateur players and the NHL team must be direct, and not through an agent or advisor.

Yeah, I followed that one laughing all the way. He clearly understands hockey but I don't think he actually watches much. He claims that you can't see back checking on tv. :picard: He strikes me as one of those old crusty dudes that form opinions out of thin air or a one off and then toots his own horn without any actual foundation moving forward. He probably watched live 2 or 3 times and then spends time bashing the team online but for some reason can't find the time to watch the rest of the games when those of us that have clearly see the opposite of what this flake is trumpeting. Super fishy troll guy. :frantic: lol

Edited by Gawdzukes

19 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Heck I'm not infallible by any means. I offer my opinion, hey just like you :rolleyes: But I have sat down in team meetings in US universities and been told who and when and why I cannot speak to. I've seen the manual the NCAA coaches need to study and even though it's an open book exam you still need to know where to look :lol: I take them at their word. I'm not bragging or any thing but I've managed to get more than a few players full scholarships and never been penalized either. I can add that I declined to study/sit the exam myself just the looks put me off. I'd say it's 5" thick   ( 12+ cms for the new age )

On 6/26/2020 at 6:32 PM, Pete M said:

They should get Scott Niedermayer as "D" coach...or Willie Mitchell

Great NHL players don't always make great coaches, just ask Gretzky. With that said, I think Mitchell might make a decent coach, but he doesn't seem to have any resume here on any sort of professional level, so tough to assume he could jump to the top level suddenly.