The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

22 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Nice, pulling up a post from almost a year ago and using hindsight to try to make a point? Not a good look.

At the time the Canucks had just finished bottom of the standings, and the trade was pretty widely considered an overpayment due to the fact that Tampa was in a cap crunch and needed to trade salary out. The trade looks like a steal now, but anyway you cut it, at the time it was paying full market price for a player that most felt could have been had for cheaper..

Since you love digging up old posts so much, why don't you hit up the JT Miller trade thread on the trades and rumor section. You can start on page 8, when the cost was announced. You'll have a ton of ammo to try to feel like a big man.

Fill your boots 

JB is the man.. for a average goalie.. a pick that's going to be in the 20 range and even lower probably maybe a career ahl'r and we got a player who can snipe and hit hard who can play on top line? Or anywhere in the line-up and he's our leading scorer atm!  What the F??? Lmao!

Edited by iceman64

Nice, pulling up a post from almost a year ago and using hindsight to try to make a point? Not a good look.

At the time the Canucks had just finished bottom of the standings, and the trade was pretty widely considered an overpayment due to the fact that Tampa was in a cap crunch and needed to trade salary out. The trade looks like a steal now, but anyway you cut it, at the time it was paying full market price for a player that most felt could have been had for cheaper..

Since you love digging up old posts so much, why don't you hit up the JT Miller trade thread on the trades and rumor section. You can start on page 8, when the cost was announced. You'll have a ton of ammo to try to feel like a big man.

Fill your boots 

P.S. psssst.. whose our leading scorer? And while your at it how much are most top line players in the league going for these days? As of now he's ahead of Malkin in points and Malkin is making 9.5 mil this season.. how much are we paying JT this season? 

Edited by iceman64

The trade looks like a steal now, but anyway you cut it, at the time it was paying full market price for a player that most felt could have been had for cheaper..

Fill your boots 

Not really. Some of us recognized this trade as the bargain it was right from the start.

Miller should have cost a us a solid prospect, the first and the third. We got away with an expiring depth goalie instead of the prospect. Bargain.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not really. Some of us recognized this trade as the bargain it was right from the start.

Miller should have cost a us a solid prospect, the first and the third. We got away with an expiring depth goalie instead of the prospect. Bargain.

Some is not most aGENT. The overwhelming initial reaction on CDC, and the media is we were getting a great player and payed a premium to get him. Obviously that initial reaction didn't age well with how well Miller has meshed with this team. But that doesn't change the reaction most people had learning that a team who just finished bottom 5 in the league had just traded a conditional first round pick in the wake of what happened with Ottawa.

33 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

JB is the man.. for a average goalie.. a pick that's going to be in the 20 range and even lower probably maybe a career ahl'r and we got a player who can snipe and hit hard who can play on top line? Or anywhere in the line-up and he's our leading scorer atm!  What the F??? Lmao!

Captain hindsight strikes again... Why don't you dust off the year book and start digging up some great graduation quotes while your at it? I'm sure you'll find some gold... Why are you even replying to a message like mine almost a year later? What exactly are you trying to achieve in this conversation? Maybe you didn't even understand the post you were quoting was almost a year old?

On 3/2/2020 at 1:20 PM, bree2 said:

I agree that Miller is awesome, but he sometimes forget he is not the only player on that line. Pettersson is a great player and Toffoli also, sometimes you got to share the wealth like Petey does

Ikr? Can't believe TT is on our team and I'm praying he stays... Scoring and grit with both JT and TT is a huge win for us, best support for Petey Brock Bo and Jake is exactly what we needed! Not just to get into the playoffs but long term because our young guys aren't there as in developing to ceiling yet but JT and TT will help mentor so JB has done us well.. 

I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw TT was now a Canuck.. I was omfg! Wow whoaaa! Wait.. umm how much did we pay?  I was shocked really, madden? $&!#ey but ok, would have been bottom six with hogs n podz after top 6 spots so a prospect for a really good third line guy was/will be hopefully a small price to pay for a top 6 guy who can be a game changer but plays with his heart and leads by example so if he stays, added bonus to JV as TT can mentor him.. no way is Jake done yet ceiling wise but he still needs to be pushed and if there's anyone I feel fine about pushing him it's TT 

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 1

Just now, shayster007 said:

Some is not most aGENT. The overwhelming initial reaction on CDC, and the media is we were getting a great player and payed a premium to get him. Obviously that initial reaction didn't age well with how well Miller has meshed with this team. But that doesn't change the reaction most people had learning that a team who just finished bottom 5 in the league had just traded a conditional first round pick in the wake of what happened with Ottawa.

Unfortunately those 'most people' won't take that as a lesson learned to maybe save the rest of us from their ill informed opinions :lol:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Unfortunately those 'most people' won't take that as a lesson learned to maybe save the rest of us from their ill informed opinions :lol:

Ill informed? The best part of the last 5 years has, unfortunately, been drafting players like Petey and Hughes. I think the average fan was shocked that we were willing to accelerate the rebuild and start banking on the team sharply turning the corner and making the playoffs. Obviously the end goal is always the playoffs, and I have been a vocal Benning supporter his entire tenure, but at the time trading out first round pick was a very scary idea with everything that just happened with Ottawa. If you go back, the average fan was worried we had traded out 2nd round pick for JT. That would have been, like you said early in that thread, "a steal". We payed market price for a player who has made out team much better. It has worked out very well for the Canucks, and I like I said in my very post a year ago, love the player. I have always been a big fan of JT, even back in his Ranger days. That doesn't change the fact that many fans, myself included, were not prepared to start trading first round picks at the time.

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yes.

Still no.

I understand his point though. It's like if you trade a 3rd round pick for a 5th round pick, and that 5th round pick becomes a better player.

It wasn't really a "steal" back then, it was a player who was traded for at market value who some though was we overpaid for. In hindsight it was a steal of course, so you're both right.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Grape said:

It wasn't really a "steal" back then, 

Yes. It was.

59 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I said as much at the time of the trade.

Many people holding the same poor opinion doesn't make them correct.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Yes. It was.

There it is. I couldn't figure out why you were even in the conversation. Now I know. Validation does feel nice, eh?

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yes. It was.

Of course, if you believed it back then, you were absolutely right.

It also doesn't make the person you were responding to wrong at the time for thinking we could've gotten him for less.

Edited by Grape

Just now, shayster007 said:

There it is. I couldn't figure out why you were even in the conversation. Now I know. Validation does feel nice, eh?

You guys are the ones who keep posting how he was traded for 'fair market blah, blah'. I'm correcting you, not seeking validation.

Just now, Grape said:

Of course, if you believed it back then, you were absolutely right.

It also doesn't make the person you were responding to wrong at the time for thinking we could've gotten him for less.

Yes, it does.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yes, it does.

Well I think you're just being immature now with these responses lol

Let's say we had the first overall pick in the 2018 draft, and picked Quinn Hughes. I would've loved the pick due to my personal allegiance and my strong belief that Hughes was a top 2 player in the draft. However, if people were to make a point today, that we could've perhaps traded back a few spots and then picked Hughes, I wouldn't say they're wrong either, even though I was right in my unpopular original opinion

Edited by Grape
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Grape said:

Well I think you're just being immature now with these responses lol

Let's say we had the first overall pick in the 2018 draft, and picked Quinn Hughes. I would've loved the pick due to my personal allegiance and my strong belief that Hughes was a top 2 player in the draft. However, if people were to make a point today, that we could've perhaps traded back a few spots and then picked Hughes, I wouldn't say they're wrong either, even though I was right in my unpopular original opinion

Not really but cool story.

48 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Captain hindsight strikes again... Why don't you dust off the year book and start digging up some great graduation quotes while your at it? I'm sure you'll find some gold... Why are you even replying to a message like mine almost a year later? What exactly are you trying to achieve in this conversation? Maybe you didn't even understand the post you were quoting was almost a year old?

The point being Mr genious is that look what happens when you listen "to those" who say stuff that simply isn't true and even if it was, how much we paid for him was an after thought because for once we're going to have a well balanced lethal top 6 that any Stanley Cup contender has to have, but hey keep believing your "those who" say this or that and don't question it... 

Let me know how that works out for you..

2 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

The point being Mr genious is that look what happens when you listen "to those" who say stuff that simply isn't true and even if it was, how much we paid for him was an after thought because for once we're going to have a well balanced lethal top 6 that any Stanley Cup contender has to have, but hey keep believing your "those who" say this or that and don't question it... 

Let me know how that works out for you..

genius..

16 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

genius..

you know what

this is silly

cloaking yourself in the majority who freak out at a jb trade

especially where a draft pick is involved

does nothing to enhance your earlier position

be a man

admit you were wrong

that is the most straight forward and honest outcome

so few on these boards admit they were incorrect about an assessment