The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

People tend to worry too much about "win/lose" with a trade. As long as Miller performs as he has it's a win for us as he's helping now and for the next four years. Tampa may wait two years to get the pick, another two years for that pick to even play, and possibly two more for the player to be effective. The real rub is not knowing who we would have picked. If Tampa picks a dud then it's "we wouldn't have taken him" if it's a star then it's "look what we gave up". All that really matters in this trade is that Miller performs as expected.

So really who Tampa selects is irrelevant. If Tampa gets a star and Miller performs it's a win/win. If Tampa drafts a bust and Miller doesn't perform it's a lose/lose. If only one side gets what they hoped it's a win/lose. To make my point people say we lost the trade Ballard + crap for a 1st, Grabner and Bernier. That makes it sound like Florida won the trade but it was a lose/lose. The 1st was a bust, Grabner was lost to waivers, and Bernier was a cap dump in the deal. It was lose/lose because niether side got what was hoped for.

Just FYI:

I do remember many bashing GMMG for giving the 1st and not using it to pick whatever player that was available around that time.  

I believe all those players are also busts.

Unfortunately though, Bernier was the type of player the Canucks needed against Boston.  He did play well when the game slowed down.  

5 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Just FYI:

I do remember many bashing GMMG for giving the 1st and not using it to pick whatever player that was available around that time.  

I believe all those players are also busts.

Unfortunately though, Bernier was the type of player the Canucks needed against Boston.  He did play well when the game slowed down.  

Seems to me we had plenty of Bernier in our bottom six for considerably less money. If he actually provided offense he may have been worth it. But for a contender cap space is too important.

12 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Seems to me we had plenty of Bernier in our bottom six for considerably less money. If he actually provided offense he may have been worth it. But for a contender cap space is too important.

Not really.... Bolduc, Glass, Oreskovich weren't really truculent players.  Just the first 2 played the role to stay in the NHL.  Bernier did have better hands than them.  

Bernier did play fairly decent in the series against the Blues and the one against the LA Kings.  Somehow the Raymond-Wellwood-Bernier line clicked.  When the game got much tighter, he was more noticeable.  Unfortunately, he was ineffective against Chicago, when he admitted he was unable to forecheck as they had a very mobile D.  He was also a decent player for the NJD during their finals (just he unfortunately took a very bad major penalty in the deciding game).

21 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Not really.... Bolduc, Glass, Oreskovich weren't really truculent players.  Just the first 2 played the role to stay in the NHL.  Bernier did have better hands than them.  

Bernier did play fairly decent in the series against the Blues and the one against the LA Kings.  Somehow the Raymond-Wellwood-Bernier line clicked.  When the game got much tighter, he was more noticeable.  Unfortunately, he was ineffective against Chicago, when he admitted he was unable to forecheck as they had a very mobile D.  He was also a decent player for the NJD during their finals (just he unfortunately took a very bad major penalty in the deciding game).

Bernier had 3 fights in his two seasons here, while Glass had 25 in his two. According to hockey fights Bernier didn't have a playoff fight in his career, including junior and the AHL.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 11:45 AM, Baggins said:

People tend to worry too much about "win/lose" with a trade. As long as Miller performs as he has it's a win for us as he's helping now and for the next four years. Tampa may wait two years to get the pick, another two years for that pick to even play, and possibly two more for the player to be effective. The real rub is not knowing who we would have picked. If Tampa picks a dud then it's "we wouldn't have taken him" if it's a star then it's "look what we gave up". All that really matters in this trade is that Miller performs as expected.

So really who Tampa selects is irrelevant. If Tampa gets a star and Miller performs it's a win/win. If Tampa drafts a bust and Miller doesn't perform it's a lose/lose. If only one side gets what they hoped it's a win/lose. To make my point people say we lost the trade Ballard + crap for a 1st, Grabner and Bernier. That makes it sound like Florida won the trade but it was a lose/lose. The 1st was a bust, Grabner was lost to waivers, and Bernier was a cap dump in the deal. It was lose/lose because niether side got what was hoped for.

along these same lines, many people seem to expect that not only do we need to win every transaction, but the other team needs to lose. this isn't realistic. normally you get what you pay for. 

every other GM looks at each transaction the same way we do, except with way more info than we have. and of course they all want something for nothing, and to win while others lose, but obviously it can't happen... maybe once in a while. 

as long as we win, the other team can win too for all I care. who knows, might even make that GM more likely to deal kindly with JB next time. 

as noted, if Miller performs to his potential, this deal is a win, and therefore the price is fair. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

along these same lines, many people seem to expect that not only do we need to win every transaction, but the other team needs to lose. this isn't realistic. normally you get what you pay for. 

every other GM looks at each transaction the same way we do, except with way more info than we have. and of course they all want something for nothing, and to win while others lose, but obviously it can't happen... maybe once in a while. 

as long as we win, the other team can win too for all I care. who knows, might even make that GM more likely to deal kindly with JB next time. 

as noted, if Miller performs to his potential, this deal is a win, and therefore the price is fair. 

I always thought the “don’t trade within your division, the traded player will come up huge against us” was a silly thought.

Thats only a concern if you’re a crap GM and plan on losing the trade.

If you’re somewhat competent the player coming over should logically come up just as big against his former team

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/25/2019 at 11:27 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

good work, puts the deal in perspective. Its also a hedged bet. If we miss the playoffs again this year, we keep the pick anyway. If the team is looking at lotto picks 2 drafts from now then the wheels have come off the rebuild and the team has bigger problems.

It was pretty obvious that the top 6 needed more size and grit and guys that can score. For Benning to get both Miller and Ferland for the cost of a conditional 1st and just free agency cash is impressive, and why he got the extension imo. 

Yep, Miller could help turn Bo into a 35 goal 75 point guy. And if Pearson continues where he left off last year this could be a very interesting line.

• Upvote 2

Really?? I gotta pay $30 to get JT's autograph?? and the webpage didn't mention charities.. so I'm assuming proceeds will be split between the store owner and possibly JT himself.. "JT has the right to refuse to sign any itme."  - Oh great!! So, there's a chance I might be going in having paid $30 just to get a sniff literally!

I'd rather wait 2 hours to see Robbie Alomar and other Blue Jays for free autographs!!

image.png.4a49974941561e63577fbe066030244c.png

I had big expectations on Miller and he definetly has delivered. Hes been great all preseason and inded the best player of the night. Thank to his addition Bo might get a career year. Other teams will have to cover 2 lines and petey is bound to get the heaviest attention of those lines. I expect 60+ points from miller. 

• Cheers 1

Smart game by Miller tonight, relatively safe which is what Pettersson and Boeser need. While the latter two play primarily a puck possession and passing game, Miller was happy to chip and chase which seems counter-intuitive but he was very good at it against the Kings and dump ins directly lead to a couple of goals.

I think this will really keep defences on their toes because they won't know what to expect from this line.

Considering the 1st round pick we gave up is top-15 protected, this is a late 1st round pick for a stud 60-80 point player, worth it every time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Smart game by Miller tonight, relatively safe which is what Pettersson and Boeser need. While the latter two play primarily a puck possession and passing game, Miller was happy to chip and chase which seems counter-intuitive but he was very good at it against the Kings and dump ins directly lead to a couple of goals.

I think this will really keep defences on their toes because they won't know what to expect from this line.

Considering the 1st round pick we gave up is top-15 protected, this is a late 1st round pick for a stud 60-80 point player, worth it every time.

A draft devotee, Benning sent to the Lightning a third-round pick on Saturday plus a conditional first-round pick in one of the next two years. If the Canucks miss the playoffs in 2020, during their 50th anniversary in the NHL, the first-rounder is moved to 2021.

If the Canucks miss the playoffs both years, the trade may not look very good. But Benning won’t have to worry about optics because he probably won’t still be GM unless Vancouver makes it back into the Stanley Cup tournament.

That's not what I remember, it's a non protected pick but the Canucks can conditionally decide what year 2020 or 2021, meaning if they decide to give up the 2021 pick and they miss the playoffs that could be a lotto pick.  CDC get's too high and low at times, yes Miller has been great for the first three games but there is a 'possible' serious downside to this trade, let's not pretend that doesn't exist.