The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

23 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

That's not what I remember, it's a non protected pick but the Canucks can conditionally decide what year 2020 or 2021, meaning if they decide to give up the 2021 pick and they miss the playoffs that could be a lotto pick.  CDC get's too high and low at times, yes Miller has been great for the first three games but there is a 'possible' serious downside to this trade, let's not pretend that doesn't exist.  

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

That's not what I remember, it's a non protected pick but the Canucks can conditionally decide what year 2020 or 2021, meaning if they decide to give up the 2021 pick and they miss the playoffs that could be a lotto pick.  CDC get's too high and low at times, yes Miller has been great for the first three games but there is a 'possible' serious downside to this trade, let's not pretend that doesn't exist.  

From CapFriendly

*Conditions: If the Canucks do not make the playoffs in 2019-20, the 2020 1st round pick will transfer to a 2021 1st round pick instead.

Basically the Canucks have 2 seasons to make the playoffs.  It's a risky situation, but it is very possible that TB ends up with a later round pick.  Imo, as long as the Lightning get a non lotto pick, the Canucks made a good trade.  After all, that means that our team is good enough to make the playoffs and as a young team, they will have a good chance to become contenders at some point.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

If Miller turns out to be the player we need, does any of this matter?

There are so many people focused on value and getting "bang for their buck" when it comes to trades that I swear when actual opportunities come up that might be "fair value" but actually help the team, they'd say no. They'd be Nonuts with even less nuts oh boo hoo. lol

Sometimes you have to take risks to get somewhere and if you don't.... well good luck at getting anywhere....

We have had 5 years without playoffs and, while I don't mind if we end up with a 6th year, we need to be making trades like this. Sure, Miller could not work out, but he's at least clearly the kind of player we need to make playoffs happen. We haven't had a winger who can actually dish out passes in a while and he does that for the team.

CDC might get high at times, but I'd argue people also unfairly criticize before even seeing a thing on the ice. It's like expecting bad things to happen before they happen: perhaps some of the most unrealistic people you can get. Don't get me wrong, I don't know if Miller will be great or not long term, but that doesn't bar me from liking the trade in terms of the actual concept, which is what it SHOULD be about.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

20 hours ago, The Lock said:

If Miller turns out to be the player we need, does any of this matter?

According to the very first word in your sentence, yes.:shock:

On 10/10/2019 at 7:46 AM, reyezone said:

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. 

I get the saying, I don't get the relevance to this trade.  

I was just correcting some incorrect info about the draft pick being protected, it isn't.  I am not freaking out, go read the first dozen pages of the actual trade thread if you want to read people freaking out.  Worst case scenario we miss the playoffs both years and TB gets a first overall pick, best case scenario we win the cup two years in the row and I get a role on the next GoT spinoff.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I get the saying, I don't get the relevance to this trade.  

I was just correcting some incorrect info about the draft pick being protected, it isn't.  I am not freaking out, go read the first dozen pages of the actual trade thread if you want to read people freaking out.  Worst case scenario we miss the playoffs both years and TB gets a first overall pick, best case scenario we win the cup two years in the row and I get a role on the next GoT spinoff.  

I am not really sure of the backstory here friend, however if Miller (the Bird) is a consistent top 6 forward through his peak years in Vancouver then I see the wisdom in trading that player for an unknown Draft Pick (the Bush). There is certainly a risk that the pick becomes a dominant NHL player, but the average of prospects panning out from even the first round carries some risk of bustaroo. I like what I see from the Bird to this point, albeit only three games in. I am happy to change my mind if Miller slips up, but I would prefer he have his best years of his career here in Canucks colors.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Okay, so you don't like the word "if" evidently. Do you then think all of our trades should have no "ifs"? Are you like scared of the word or something?

If you don't like risks like this then you probably shouldn't be watching sports teams because risks like these happen all the time, and guess what? Not all of those risks work out! However, when they do work, generally success comes out of it.

Edited by The Lock

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

What a move by JB.  Again, such a great off season.   

I admit I was initially a bit disappointed with what the Canucks gave up considering the position TBL were in.  But alternatively other teams may have been offering competitive bids as well.  

In any case, getting a player like JT Miller with any 1st round pick is hard enough.  Liking this trade so far... but once again, it depends on the post-season and whether he can maintain his play.  

Gotta be honest, I wasn't too sure who JT Miller even was, when Benning traded the 1st+ for him. All I knew was that he played well for TB, one of the leagues best teams. Was he doing that well because he was playing with Stamkos and Kuch, etc? No, not really by the sounds of it. From what I heard, he ended up playing on the 3rd line in TB. 

The timing of all of it too. Last year the Canucks struggled to score, and the D wasn't very good. Benning trading a 1st, I thought he was nuts at first. But now, after things are settling in, and seeing what impact Miller has had, it was a great move. If things continue, the Canucks should make the playoffs this year, giving up their 1st. TB will probably get a pick between #20 and #25, I would guess. Might get a decent player there, but who knows. It's a gamble that looks like it was worth it.     

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Gotta be honest, I wasn't too sure who JT Miller even was, when Benning traded the 1st+ for him. All I knew was that he played well for TB, one of the leagues best teams. Was he doing that well because he was playing with Stamkos and Kuch, etc? No, not really by the sounds of it. From what I heard, he ended up playing on the 3rd line in TB. 

The timing of all of it too. Last year the Canucks struggled to score, and the D wasn't very good. Benning trading a 1st, I thought he was nuts at first. But now, after things are settling in, and seeing what impact Miller has had, it was a great move. If things continue, the Canucks should make the playoffs this year, giving up their 1st. TB will probably get a pick between #20 and #25, I would guess. Might get a decent player there, but who knows. It's a gamble that looks like it was worth it.     

I was in the same boat. We are Canucks fans, but mostly fans of the game overall. It's just... hard to follow every player on every team sometimes.

There have been a lot of NY Rangers or TB Lightning guys who were totally off my radar, and JT was one.

It only took watching his highlights to understand what we were getting with him, though. I saw a guy that skates hard, has pretty decent hands and shot, and will hit/fight when required.

I also saw a guy that was incredibly well-spoken and mature, if not a little cocky.

He's been perfect for the young offensive guys so far. I'm really happy with the pickup. 

If we had simply signed Michael Ferland and called it an offseason, it wouldn't be same. 
But now with guys like JT we're creating a culture.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Elliotte Friedman on J.T. Miller:

"J.T. Miller talked about getting traded to Tampa, his points production at the start was really good too. That was a different situation because they were loaded with good players, when you’re playing with Point, Kucherov, Stamkos its almost impossible not to score."

"He started with Horvat and then he moves to Pettersson line, he said when he was younger – he always changed his game depending on who he was playing with. And then he realized if he was going to be successful – he was going to have to be himself."

"Regardless of who he was playing with. I thought that was a smart answer and explains why he’s doing well. He’s always been a talented player and your team on paper isn’t as good as Tampa’s. He lost his role a bit in Tampa but he’s good enough to be a higher player on a lot of teams."

"You ask Miller who his role models were when he got to the NHL he’ll mention: Callahan, Stepan, Girardi. Guys who did the things you have to do to win. He said when he was 19 he didn’t understand that but now he’s older he does."

• Upvote 1

well, they did shut there mouths up now about it, might as well not carry on with shoving it in there faces, hindsight, i didnt mind the trade now im loving it, honestly didnt no anything about the guy thats why i didnt comment on it.

Edited by TNucks1