The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

As awesome as this trade has been, nobody would have predicted this:

dubas.PNG.648eb904e07acd105fb9ce22af1110e4.PNG

Miller just 2 points behind our wonder boy Petey!!   Wow.

JT Miller should have costs two first round picks or a very high 1st rouder (which Tampa most likely does not get).  I love hindsight!!

:lol:

• Upvote 1

Miller is kind of what I hoped Goldobin would turn into. A guy who's production masks the fact that he has like 5 brutal turnovers a game. 

Miller honestly makes so many bone headed plays but his work ethic and offensive contributions make up for it and then some.

Edited by Mathew Barzal

1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Miller is kind of what I hoped Goldobin would turn into. A guy who's production masks the fact that he has like 5 brutal turnovers a game. 

Miller honestly makes so many bone headed plays but his work ethic and offensive contributions make up for it and then some.

Also far bigger and tougher too.

He has 27 giveaways on the season, which actually ties him with Stamkos for the third least amount of giveaways of anyone in the top 30 of league scoring, with a giveaway/takeaway +/- of +9, which ranks him second of all players in the top 30 of league scoring. 

• Cheers 1

On 7/5/2019 at 3:04 AM, D-Money said:

Halford is a Team 1040 host, and Athletic writer. But most of all, he's a fan of the team. And he made that tweet in the heat of the moment.

Some fans are pissed that the Canucks traded a 1st round pick - Halford is one, I am another. The team very well may have given up a talent equivalent to a Podkolzin, Hughes, or even Pettersson for a 2nd line winger halfway through his prime.

Hopefully the team comes together and the pick is late, but given our last few seasons saying that is a sure thing seems somewhat absurd...even delusional.

Nothing is a sure thing in sport.   The deal was made, life moves on and I would think if the Canucks used that pick and it turned into a player anywhere near Miller's performance this year they would be ecstatic with the pick so not sure about "delusional".

2 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Wow, his actual stats in terms of giveaways is totally at odds with your statement.   I find him very responsible in his own zone.   Perhaps you have his number confused with someone else?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Wow, his actual stats in terms of giveaways is totally at odds with your statement.   I find him very responsible in his own zone.   Perhaps you have his number confused with someone else?

Likely the case of a few really bad ones sticking out in his mind and skewing his perspective more than the actual genuine quantity of giveaways.

Just now, -AJ- said:

Likely the case of a few really bad ones sticking out in his mind and skewing his perspective more than the actual genuine quantity of giveaways.

I guess.   When I have focused on his play, I see a guy who uses his size and strength advantage (which has over most) very well and is very good a moving the puck effectively and rarely makes a bad decision.    I think he has been a massive upgrade for Vancouver in terms of zone breakouts from their top line.

13 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

He has 27 giveaways on the season, which actually ties him with Stamkos for the third least amount of giveaways of anyone in the top 30 of league scoring, with a giveaway/takeaway +/- of +9, which ranks him second of all players in the top 30 of league scoring. 

There is no way that's accurate. Maybe I'll start keeping a tally of the amount of passes he tries to force through sticks and failed dekes. It's definitely enough to be noticeable. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Mathew Barzal said:

There is no way that's accurate. Maybe I'll start keeping a tally of the amount of passes he tries to force through sticks and failed dekes. It's definitely enough to be noticeable. 

I have heard from various others who've looked at the numbers that giveaways are a notoriously inaccurate stat. For whatever reason though, takeaways are considered far more reliable.

Just now, Mathew Barzal said:

I can't speak to the accuracy of the statistics being kept, but like @Rob_Zepp said, the official stats are very much so at odds with what you're saying. 

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The 5 is probably an exaggeration, but he definitely makes a ton of questionable decisions with the puck. At least from what I've seen. 

47 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

The 5 is probably an exaggeration, but he definitely makes a ton of questionable decisions with the puck. At least from what I've seen. 

Was that today cause I didn't get to see the game, but I'm not seeing that at all, like not even a little bit.  JT has made every player he's played with better.  I remember liking the line of MIller  Gaudette and  Baertschi in preseason.  Plus the goals he's scoring are skilled goals.  He's tough and skilled.  He's fast and smart, he's defensive, he wins draws, he does pp and pk.  I didn't expect him to be this good.  Canucks pro scouting nailed this acquisition and then some.  

• Cheers 1

Nah, don't bother, that'll be like rooting against the JT Miller.  Are you thinking Boeser?  BB6 played around 6 - 10 games on the 1st line where every pass to him seemed to bounce off his skate to the other team.  Glad to see Boeser coming around the last 3 games.