The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

7 hours ago, Qwags said:

Here's a thought experiment for you guys. Would you accept a 1st, and 3rd, and a 4th string goalie for Miller if we traded him?

Not a chance.

You really should tweet that to Burke and see if that idiot has dug in soooo deep he actually said yes.  What a moron.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

All I can say is wow. When we first traded for Miller I was really keen on the pick up. Its funny and kind of personal to me as well, because in my NHL19 GM modes with Vancouver one the first things I would do each and every time I started off was trade for JT Miller. Imagine my shock when Benning traded for a guy I always trade for. I couldn't really believe it at first. 

I thought Benning paid a little too much but at the same time not really because I did believe Miller was worth a first round pick. There were other people who weren't as thrilled with the pick up as me, saying Miller was a career middle road player who only put up 47 points the previous year. Yet Miller was only 26 and had yet to reach his prime, I even remember telling my Dad(who was a naysayer) and others not be surprised if he puts up close to point per game numbers. I often cited the career numbers of Brad Marchand as an example of a player who put up similar career numbers during the early part of his career. Marchand had never put up more than 61 points until he was 26/27 (same age as Miller) when he broke out and scored 80+ points suddenly going from middle road pest to allstar scorer who put up a 100 points a couple years ago.

Flash forward to today and JT Miller is the Canucks leading scorer with 63 points in 62 games.

My Dad and I have even recently been discussing and agreeing that Miller is our best player not named Markstrom.

He seems to drive the play on our top line, he is our best player transitioning into the offensive zone in my opinion and his work along the boards eluding players and creating space is phenomenal.

When Miller has the puck by the boards he seriously looks like one of the best players in the league. He reminds me of the Sedins with his ability to hold the puck and create space by boards to give his linemates an extra few seconds to get in position and sneak behind or around defenders.

If he keeps up at his current pace he will likely end the year above a point per game and could potentially get close to 90! Maybe more? Perhaps that's a little to much lol. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if he slows down a little, I do believe he is playing above his skills at the moment but not by much. Its not wishful thinking to believe he could produce at this rate or close to it during his entire tenure in Vancouver, how ever long it turns out to be. Marchand has proved that you cant write off a hardworking player before they hit their prime and now so is Miller.

I hope Miller can keep up this pace for the rest of term in Vancouver because the certainly helps us and will help him earn a big contract when he approaches or hits UFA status (hard work should be rewarded). Still super excited about the journey so far and super happy for Miller getting a chance to shine here in Vancouver.

GO CANUCKS GO!!! GO MILLER GO!!!

Edited by VC420

Miller hops into 122nd in all-time Canuck scoring with his goal and assist tonight.

121.  Gregg Boddy D 273 23 44 67
122.  J.T. Miller LW 63 25 40 65
123.  Murray Craven C 88 15 50 65
124.  Adrien Plavsic D 182 13 52 65
125.  Esa Tikkanen C 100 25 39 64
126.  Don Tannahill LW 111 30 33 63

As great as Markstrom has been, Miller has been a beast out there. He hits, he forechecks, he sets up his linemates who play one-dimensional hockey and of course he scores. He's reminding me of a more skilled Kesler in his prime right now. The guy is playing the way I was hoping Bo would play, and hopefully the way Virtanen will play eventually.

At 50 points with NYR and TBL he was a solid 2nd-3rd line player, but with the Canucks he is our 1st line center/winger really and arguably one of the best two-way players in the game. The man does it all just the way Kes did in his 40 goal year, and not many players in the league can do that.

Miller has been amazing and the co-MVP with Markstrom. However, he needs to use his line-mates better. He gets bad tunnel vision and holds onto the puck for too long a lot of the time. So many instances where EP is open and Miller decides to do a lap instead and the scoring opportunity is wasted. 

• Cheers 1

Wonder if he was acquired a year earlier would there be any appetite to name him Captain?  I like his post game comments and usually doesn't hold back like Horvat and the Sedins do, really refreshing.  

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Wonder if he was acquired a year earlier would there be any appetite to name him Captain?  I like his post game comments and usually doesn't hold back like Horvat and the Sedins do, really refreshing.  

It might be because he's not given that role that he feels comfortable to be more transparent.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Seinfeld said:

Miller has been amazing and the co-MVP with Markstrom. However, he needs to use his line-mates better. He gets bad tunnel vision and holds onto the puck for too long a lot of the time. So many instances where EP is open and Miller decides to do a lap instead and the scoring opportunity is wasted. 

I think your being a little bit too critical. Obviously what he's doing is working for him. Based on 1st line scoring they are doing just fine.

• Thanks 2

Miller looks more and more frustrated during and after games. He has never missed the playoffs as an NHL regular and my worry is he's going to try too hard to push this team into the playoffs (he kinda already is) that he's going to get some kind of injury (knock on wood) and miss the last 10-12 games. He's never really had injury issues in his career so far but he's also never been counted on as one of the main players (if not THE main player) trying to drag a rebuilding team into the playoffs. The season ends in 33 days....buckle up, its going to be a bumpy ride.

4 hours ago, Seinfeld said:

I can certainly understand if he has lost confidence in his teammates lately.  I do notice that sometimes he'll make a puzzling mistake, but see it as his competitive nature, which pushes him to overwork a play.  As far as I'm concerned, Miller drives that line and without him, they are not as  effective.

Right now, he is the best forward on the team who is the kind that can carry a team on his back.  Sometimes that can weight a guy down.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I can certainly understand if he has lost confidence in his teammates lately.  I do notice that sometimes he'll make a puzzling mistake, but see it as his competitive nature, which pushes him to overwork a play.  As far as I'm concerned, Miller drives that line and without him, they are not as  effective.

Right now, he is the best forward on the team who is the kind that can carry a team on his back.  Sometimes that can weight a guy down.

I agree that Miller is awesome, but he sometimes forget he is not the only player on that line. Pettersson is a great player and Toffoli also, sometimes you got to share the wealth like Petey does

12 hours ago, higgyfan said:

As in Bure? Yep... When Bure went down it shifted to mogilny, then him too..

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

Are you kidding? We stole JT..  

Nice, pulling up a post from almost a year ago and using hindsight to try to make a point? Not a good look.

At the time the Canucks had just finished bottom of the standings, and the trade was pretty widely considered an overpayment due to the fact that Tampa was in a cap crunch and needed to trade salary out. The trade looks like a steal now, but anyway you cut it, at the time it was paying full market price for a player that most felt could have been had for cheaper..

Since you love digging up old posts so much, why don't you hit up the JT Miller trade thread on the trades and rumor section. You can start on page 8, when the cost was announced. You'll have a ton of ammo to try to feel like a big man.

Fill your boots 

Edited by shayster007
  • Haha 2