Sign in to follow this  
tan

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

J.T. Miller is out best player who isn't a goalie. And that's not a knock on Petey/Hughes.

Funny thing is that when you think about it, he probably won't even get an end of the year award. Marky will get MVP, Elias will get most exciting, Quinn will get best defenseman, and I predict that he's too good to get unsung hero. So underrated.

Edited by Grape
  • Like 1

This guy is the gift that keeps on giving. 

Too early to tell for Toffoli, but with the Pearson, Miller, Toffoli pickups, Benning is becoming a much better GM, and improving on his trading weakness. 

• Hydration 1

4 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Too early to tell for Toffoli, but with the Pearson, Miller, Toffoli pickups, Benning is becoming a much better GM, and improving on his trading weakness. 

Honestly it’s not like we traded Forsberg or erat soo his trading woahs are even that woooah

9 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

For sure Miller, Toffoli and Pearson are nice aquisitions. But I attribute his apparently improved trading ability mostly to two things.

One, the team has developed to a point where trades like this now make sense, to fill in the final remaining holes in the lineup, while they would have been premature a few years ago.

And two, he has finally accumulated enough assets that he now has the resources to make these kinds of trades without gutting our team's future.

• Hydration 3

13 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

The only thing that's changed is his leverage and circumstance.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

For sure Miller, Toffoli and Pearson are nice aquisitions. But I attribute his apparently improved trading ability mostly to two things.

One, the team has developed to a point where trades like this now make sense, to fill in the final remaining holes in the lineup, while they would have been premature a few years ago.

And two, he has finally accumulated enough assets that he now has the resources to make these kinds of trades without gutting our team's future.

And three, having guys play with excellent young players like Petey and Hughes somehow gives these guys an extra boost - whereas they used to be good players, now they seem to turn into excellent players

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nzan said:

And three, having guys play with excellent young players like Petey and Hughes somehow gives these guys an extra boost - whereas they used to be good players, now they seem to turn into excellent players

For sure. It's no real surprise that Miller's productivity playing on Petey's line is dramatically better than it was on Tampa playing ninth in ice time among forwards. His productivity in Tampa immediately after they picked him up in trade was a pretty good clue. I assume he had quality linemates and ice time in the 19 games he played in Tampa that year because he got 10 goals and 18 points in that span. Same thing with Foli. Put a good player with Petey and JT and watch him blossom.

• Burr 1

33 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

For sure. It's no real surprise that Miller's productivity playing on Petey's line is dramatically better than it was on Tampa playing ninth in ice time among forwards. His productivity in Tampa immediately after they picked him up in trade was a pretty good clue. I assume he had quality linemates and ice time in the 19 games he played in Tampa that year because he got 10 goals and 18 points in that span. Same thing with Foli. Put a good player with Petey and JT and watch him blossom.

Yes, he was on the Stamkos line.

I also think stepping into the Nucks top line allowed him to play at his best and encouraged his obvious leadership qualities.  He has become a huge role model for the team and leads the way in almost every aspect of the game.

I have a feeling that the same may happen with Toffoli, although I don't think he's as complete a player Miller.  I think he will excel in a new role and we will see an even better player than expected.  Hopefully this will lead to TT wanting to re-sign in the summer.  I mean, what player wouldn't want to play on a line with JT and Pete?

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

It's really starting to look like the 1st line is Miller's line rather than Pettersson's, and that this is becoming his team. He looks like a leader out there, deserves an "A", and is controlling the play most of the time. Pettersson has really softened up down the stretch, a bit how he did in his rookie season, whereas Miller is just consistently getting better and better. Massive 3 assists against the Bruins, he's the guy out there on the forecheck causing turnovers and leading to A-grade scoring chances, and now he's got two trigger men to set up.

So far he's taking over MVP rights in my opinion.

Uh huh, agreed, and we paid nothing really.. our pick won't be of any consequence or a long shot at best plus giving up someone average was larceny... Atta boy JB

• Upvote 2

my compliment to Miller: if anything happens to Horvat, Miller should be the next captain of the Vancouver Canucks

And to think JT Miller is getting paid 5.25 million per for another full 3 years after this.

If he keeps playing like he has this year, someone is going to pay him huge when he is UFA. He will be 30 yrs old when that happens.

Here's a thought experiment for you guys. Would you accept a 1st, and 3rd, and a 4th string goalie for Miller if we traded him?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Qwags said:

Here's a thought experiment for you guys. Would you accept a 1st, and 3rd, and a 4th string goalie for Miller if we traded him?

Not a chance.

You really should tweet that to Burke and see if that idiot has dug in soooo deep he actually said yes.  What a moron.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

All I can say is wow. When we first traded for Miller I was really keen on the pick up. Its funny and kind of personal to me as well, because in my NHL19 GM modes with Vancouver one the first things I would do each and every time I started off was trade for JT Miller. Imagine my shock when Benning traded for a guy I always trade for. I couldn't really believe it at first. 

I thought Benning paid a little too much but at the same time not really because I did believe Miller was worth a first round pick. There were other people who weren't as thrilled with the pick up as me, saying Miller was a career middle road player who only put up 47 points the previous year. Yet Miller was only 26 and had yet to reach his prime, I even remember telling my Dad(who was a naysayer) and others not be surprised if he puts up close to point per game numbers. I often cited the career numbers of Brad Marchand as an example of a player who put up similar career numbers during the early part of his career. Marchand had never put up more than 61 points until he was 26/27 (same age as Miller) when he broke out and scored 80+ points suddenly going from middle road pest to allstar scorer who put up a 100 points a couple years ago.

Flash forward to today and JT Miller is the Canucks leading scorer with 63 points in 62 games.

My Dad and I have even recently been discussing and agreeing that Miller is our best player not named Markstrom.

He seems to drive the play on our top line, he is our best player transitioning into the offensive zone in my opinion and his work along the boards eluding players and creating space is phenomenal.

When Miller has the puck by the boards he seriously looks like one of the best players in the league. He reminds me of the Sedins with his ability to hold the puck and create space by boards to give his linemates an extra few seconds to get in position and sneak behind or around defenders.

If he keeps up at his current pace he will likely end the year above a point per game and could potentially get close to 90! Maybe more? Perhaps that's a little to much lol. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if he slows down a little, I do believe he is playing above his skills at the moment but not by much. Its not wishful thinking to believe he could produce at this rate or close to it during his entire tenure in Vancouver, how ever long it turns out to be. Marchand has proved that you cant write off a hardworking player before they hit their prime and now so is Miller.

I hope Miller can keep up this pace for the rest of term in Vancouver because the certainly helps us and will help him earn a big contract when he approaches or hits UFA status (hard work should be rewarded). Still super excited about the journey so far and super happy for Miller getting a chance to shine here in Vancouver.

GO CANUCKS GO!!! GO MILLER GO!!!

Edited by VC420

Miller hops into 122nd in all-time Canuck scoring with his goal and assist tonight.

121.  Gregg Boddy D 273 23 44 67
122.  J.T. Miller LW 63 25 40 65
123.  Murray Craven C 88 15 50 65
124.  Adrien Plavsic D 182 13 52 65
125.  Esa Tikkanen C 100 25 39 64
126.  Don Tannahill LW 111 30 33 63