Sign in to follow this  
tan

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

2 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Baffled by the last couple of pages.  Does anyone think it wasn't a worthwhile trade now?  No?  So what's the problem here?  If GMJB played real hardball the third could've been a fourth?  Maybe we toss in a mid-level prospect like Brisebois instead of a pick?  Because the trade deadline has shown that you're not getting a top six power forward in their prime, on a good contract, without dealing out a first or a blue chip prospect.  So the only real variable is that third rounder.  When TSN updated its draft pick analysis in 2018, picks in the #63 - #72 range (Canucks gave up #71) had a 8.8% chance of becoming a top 6 F, top 4 D or #1 G.  Hardly the most valuable of assets.

I doubt anyone thinks this is a bad trade now. The conversation I was engaged in was if we had paid market value for the player or not, which we had. 

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

I doubt anyone thinks this is a bad trade now. The conversation I was engaged in was if we had paid market value for the player or not, which we had. 

It's not aimed at you but the whole thing seems like a winless argument.  Unless someone thinks the trade is a massive overpayment or a steal of the century, there's no way to definitively say whether something is slightly above, below, or exactly market value.  Barring full access to BriseBois's office and seeing all the offers on the table, how does anyone know if the deal couldn't have been a first and a fourth, or a first and a second?  It's like criticizing the 2017 draft.  Maybe Benning could've gotten the extra second and still get EP40 after moving down.  Or maybe we'd be watching Glass or Mittelstadt in Utica right now. 

At the end of the day, these moves worked out, and whatever little extra that could've been squeezed out are effectively inconsequential.  It's confounding why anyone bothers to spend energy putting down a trade that resulted in a win for their own team.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, GoldenAlien said:

It's not aimed at you but the whole thing seems like a winless argument.  Unless someone thinks the trade is a massive overpayment or a steal of the century, there's no way to definitively say whether something is slightly above, below, or exactly market value.  Barring full access to BriseBois's office and seeing all the offers on the table, how does anyone know if the deal couldn't have been a first and a fourth, or a first and a second?  It's like criticizing the 2017 draft.  Maybe Benning could've gotten the extra second and still get EP40 after moving down.  Or maybe we'd be watching Glass or Mittelstadt in Utica right now. 

At the end of the day, these moves worked out, and whatever little extra that could've been squeezed out are effectively inconsequential.  It's confounding why anyone bothers to spend energy putting down a trade that resulted in a win for their own team.

I think I got defensive because this entire conversation started because a poster quoted me from the day the trade happened, when I was not a fan of the trade. At the time I felt Miller was a great player, and it was fair value, we just weren't the right team at the time to be coughing up first round picks. That's why Benning is GM and not me, Benning knows best, and the trade has worked out perfectly. 

• Hydration 1

3 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Who exactly are you talking about? I thought everyone thought it was a good trade other than a few cdc people.  Even JD Burke was for it!

Check my sig, the quote was from only a couple months ago.  I rarely listen to him, but have never heard him say anything positive or even neutral about anything Benning has done.  Seems he's trying to be Tony Gallagher's heir apparent in simpering and negativity.

• Hydration 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Check my sig, the quote was from only a couple months ago.  I rarely listen to him, but have never heard him say anything positive or even neutral about anything Benning has done.  Seems he's trying to be Tony Gallagher's heir apparent in simpering and negativity.

JD Burke dug himself in about the JT Miller trade about it being bad.

Now the guy just looks like an idiot. Pretty funny actually hahaha...

• Hydration 1

8 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

JD Burke dug himself in about the JT Miller trade about it being bad.

Now the guy just looks like an idiot. Pretty funny actually hahaha...

Come on, he looked like an idiot long before this. This just cements it! :lol:

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Come on, he looked like an idiot long before this. This just cements it! :lol:

So i just read the trade post about Jt Miller... wow!!! I seen a bunch of hack media quotes on there and also the pages and pages of cdc posters and the crying over the first round pick!! Now i must say this totally cements it in place why i stay away in summer because everyone loses their mind over draft picks and trades lol. I pay attention to everything in the news but from the end of cup days to september is fishing time :)

• Hydration 2

9 hours ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Yeah it sure is humorous!! You may be on to something about the Gallagher comparison... Pat Quinn did nothing right in his time in Van if we listened to him.

On 3/5/2020 at 10:52 AM, Tre Mac said:

And how much we paying Beagle, Erikksson, Sutter, and Roussel?  Lol...  So we got Miller on a good deal to help offset those 4 over payments. 

That math doesn't work because what they were brought in to do was more than score points (mentor) which helps more in the long run with the exception of LE.. but usually we've had to overpay most guys over the years to play here.. 

• Hydration 1

7 hours ago, iceman64 said:

That math doesn't work because what they were brought in to do was more than score points (mentor) which helps more in the long run with the exception of LE.. but usually we've had to overpay most guys over the years to play here.. 

That's the way it works when you sign UFAs. The only way to avoid that is to never sign any player that other teams also want.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

That's the way it works when you sign UFAs. The only way to avoid that is to never sign any player that other teams also want.

Well you know where that started right? The "win it all now" crowd who pushed sell the farm for now! Hmmm that didn't work out very well did it? At least we have a GM with some balls to say no, we actually have a farm for a change and looks like it will stay that way thankfully.. 

Hopefully the big money name UFA's are a thing of the past.. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Well you know where that started right? The "win it all now" crowd who pushed sell the farm for now! Hmmm that didn't work out very well did it? At least we have a GM with some balls to say no, we actually have a farm for a change and looks like it will stay that way thankfully.. 

Hopefully the big money name UFA's are a thing of the past.. 

JB said he’s not signing anymore big dollar UFAs.  (Unless they’re ours, of course)  He said the team will have young guys coming up, who will fill the spots.  Maybe JB’s plan is to just let guys like Loui, Sutter, Baer, Beagle, Tanev, Stecher, Edler, Rooster have their contracts run their course, and then a young ELC guys takes that spot?  

Edited by Alflives

On 3/6/2020 at 6:12 PM, GoldenAlien said:

Baffled by the last couple of pages.  Does anyone think it wasn't a worthwhile trade now?  No?  So what's the problem here?  If GMJB played real hardball the third could've been a fourth?  Maybe we toss in a mid-level prospect like Brisebois instead of a pick?  Because the trade deadline has shown that you're not getting a top six power forward in their prime, on a good contract, without dealing out a first or a blue chip prospect.  So the only real variable is that third rounder.  When TSN updated its draft pick analysis in 2018, picks in the #63 - #72 range (Canucks gave up #71) had a 8.8% chance of becoming a top 6 F, top 4 D or #1 G.  Hardly the most valuable of assets.

i am baffled by this post

why do you defer to the narrative that jb did not play the absolute toughest hardball in engineering this trade for jt

you have no idea of the negotiation dynamics

you do not know what other teams were involved

maybe jb traded the exact bare minimum that was required to get jt

maybe if he insisted on trading anything less

jt would have gone to another team

i don't agree with this effort to read in any negotiating weakness by jb

it is groundless

the string of signings and trades jb has completed since acquiring pearson

has greatly improved this team

he appears to have done a very good job

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i am baffled by this post

why do you defer to the narrative that jb did not play the absolute toughest hardball in engineering this trade for jt

you have no idea of the negotiation dynamics

you do not know what other teams were involved

maybe jb traded the exact bare minimum that was required to get jt

maybe if he insisted on trading anything less

jt would have gone to another team

i don't agree with this effort to read in any negotiating weakness by jb

it is groundless

the string of signings and trades jb has completed since acquiring pearson

has greatly improved this team

he appears to have done a very good job

If you are really baffled, try reading that post a little more carefully. He is pointing out that anyone crying about the price JB paid to acquire Miller is being silly, since it is obvious that he did not pay an excessive price.

He is not deferring to the narrative you dislike, he is refuting it. You should feel embarassed right now, as you are just arguing for the sake of arguing, apparently without bothering to read the post you are arguing against.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

If you are really baffled, try reading that post a little more carefully. He is pointing out that anyone crying about the price JB paid to acquire Miller is being silly, since it is obvious that he did not pay an excessive price.

He is not deferring to the narrative you dislike, he is refuting it. You should feel embarassed right now, as you are just arguing for the sake of arguing, apparently without bothering to read the post you are arguing against.

Now you've really baffled him!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

you read it how you wish i guess

i read every word

read it again just to be sure

he is suggesting that perhaps jb make the 3rd a 4th

that he throw in something else

why?

why do people seem to think that is something to suggest

i am tired of this sort of second guessing

:wub:

there, the redness shows my embarrassment level

16 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

you read it how you wish i guess

i read every word

read it again just to be sure

he is suggesting that perhaps jb make the 3rd a 4th

that he throw in something else

why?

why do people seem to think that is something to suggest

i am tired of this sort of second guessing

:wub:

there, the redness shows my embarrassment level

Your reading comprehension evidently needs work. He was not suggesting anything of the sort. You should probably make more of an effort to understand what you are reading before you express your outrage.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Now you've really baffled him!

It's apparently not that difficult.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Maybe they can't read and comprehend things written in four word sentences like some kind of weird arse poem.

:ph34r:

• Haha 1

.......weird arse poem.

that's like some kinda hockey Shakespeare, really, really good.

Miller is the best, most complete player we've had here including either single Sedin.

Often he looks likes he's confident and willing to take on the whole opposition by hisself.

JB adding 4 or 5 more like him would see us truly in the hunt.

We're a bit away yet, but love what's cooking down in our Utica and College kitchens.

Next year mebbe; 2 years absolutely certain.

How can anyone knock what JB's building?

Can't you remember the horror of Norris years?