The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

19 hours ago, -AJ- said:

It's really neat to see some guys with less offense get mentions like Nichuskin, Tanev, Danault, and Cirelli. Looks like you don't need to score 70 points to win it as much anymore.

The top three in the voting were all on pace for 70 point seasons. It's one thing to get nominated, something completely different to actually win.

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The cap gives and takes away. Being hamstrung with Lou's contract and with Benning overpaying for Erikson, Shaller, and Beagle, we weren't going to get any good free agents.

I thought we overpaid for Miller, but he was totally worth it. As a salary cap casualty I figured he should have cost us a second, not a conditional first and a third. When that conditional pick was traded for Coleman, I thought Tampa was totally on drugs. I guess that's why I am an unemployed oilfield guy and not a GM.

What the hell Calgary was thinking when they signed Markstrom for 6x6 and Tanev to that contact, is beyond me. As a Canucks fan in Calgary, I should be happy, but the only thing I can think of is that they don't think Rittich is the answer, or that they need to keep Marky out of Edmonton. Don't get me wrong, I love Marky, but 6x6 doesn't work with Demko in the wings. Man, we thought Lou's contract was wonky.

Now we got Schmidt from Vegas for a third. I hope he is as good as he was in Vegas, but as a replacement for Tanev, who I thought is totally overrated, I think he will be all right. Looking forward to the beginning of the season.

20 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Whats the news with JT? Why isn't he  playing tommorrow ? I missed something ...

I heard that he has to quarantine because of Covid protocol.  They didn't say that he actually contracted Covid (but they didn't say he didn't either), just that he is unavailable for two weeks because of quarantine.  Sucks, but that's life with Covid.  I think we'll have the depth to cover (how many teams can say that about losing their top scorer?).  Go Canucks Go!

13 minutes ago, nux_win said:

I heard that he has to quarantine because of Covid protocol.  They didn't say that he actually contracted Covid (but they didn't say he didn't either), just that he is unavailable for two weeks because of quarantine.  Sucks, but that's life with Covid.  I think we'll have the depth to cover (how many teams can say that about losing their top scorer?).  Go Canucks Go!

wonder if he was the false positive, but there being extra careful, ugh thats a bummer though wonder who takes first line dutys.

11 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

wonder if he was the false positive, but there being extra careful, ugh thats a bummer though wonder who takes first line dutys.

I think Benn was the false positive but because Miller was staying at Benn's place, he has to quarantine too.  I'm not 100% sure about that but that's what the rumour is.  Officially the Canucks aren't saying anything more than they are both "unavailable" (as well as Hawryluk).  Go Canucks Go!

Edited by nux_win
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

Looks most likely that Virtanen is going to get a chance at first line duties.  It will be interesting to see how he responds.  Go Canucks Go!

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 11:55 AM, Where's Wellwood said:

This is because these tests are widely inaccurate. They have an astounding amount of false positives. For example, my brother and his family have had 3 tests each. My brother tested positive, negative positive; His wife tested positive negative negative; Their child tested negative positive negative. They all live in the same house, and have been quarantining to their best ability. Reports like this are common.

On 1/13/2021 at 11:55 AM, Where's Wellwood said:

This is the part that hurts. Miller has to sit out 14 days - 7 games to start the year.  He likely is healthy.  It is just really dumb that he was living with another player.  The whole province is living in immediate family bubbles.  Not sure how this was missed by the Canucks.  I expect that the rest of the league was either already instituting rules against teammates living together (as was reported in Edmonton) or they have now.

Real disappointing that this was missed.  

Look every guy on the team can follow rules to socially distance and mask as required and they simply have to have their own rooms on the road and live in their own family bubble at home to avoid this . The penalty for the guy who is healthy but exposed to the guy who had a positive test (false or not) is extreme. Being on the same team, passing in the hotel halls, even being at the rink together does not create the close contact 14 day rule (or the entire team would be quarantined).  But living with another teammate who tests positive creates this situation with no way around it. 

• Wat 1

8 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

This is the part that hurts. Miller has to sit out 14 days - 7 games to start the year.  He likely is healthy.  It is just really dumb that he was living with another player.  The whole province is living in immediate family bubbles.  Not sure how this was missed by the Canucks.  I expect that the rest of the league was either already instituting rules against teammates living together (as was reported in Edmonton) or they have now.

Real disappointing that this was missed.  

Look every guy on the team can follow rules to socially distance and mask as required and they simply have to have their own rooms on the road and live in their own family bubble at home to avoid this . The penalty for the guy who is healthy but exposed to the guy who had a positive test (false or not) is extreme. Being on the same team, passing in the hotel halls, even being at the rink together does not create the close contact 14 day rule (or the entire team would be quarantined).  But living with another teammate who tests positive creates this situation with no way around it. 

Did his family come with him? I saw a tweet that his daughter was starting her first day of school but I don't know if that was in Vancouver or the US

22 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Did his family come with him? I saw a tweet that his daughter was starting her first day of school but I don't know if that was in Vancouver or the US

Matt Sekeres broke the story in the Vancouver media.  He did not elaborate on whether Miller's family was with him or not. Just that Miller was living at Benn's and that is why he was caught in the net. The Canucks haven't clarified anything, not even the duration but it seems to be the consensus is  that we will miss JT Miller for the first 7 games of the season over this.  

9 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

there seriously that bad?, wow i had no idea, thought they were pretty good, guess not.

EDIT: how has other players on our team or in the nhl, not have false positives like crazy?

According to what I have read, false positives are actually quite rare. Depending on which test is given and when the test is taken, false negatives are not unusual.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1