The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

19 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I disagree with the outplayed.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. But I'm not sure what metric you could possibly be using that wouldnt show Virtanen has been thoroughly outplayed. 

12 hours ago, Yung1 said:

If the Canucks got JT Miller equivalent with a 20th OA pick it would be considered a success. The Canucks paid a 3rd and convinced the Lightning to graciously take on another contract to even things out (mazanec) essentially in exchange for a guaranteed hit at 20th OA, except you don't have to wait for his development. 

People are greatly over-valuing a    p r o t e c t e d   1st round pick if they don't like this trade. 

Exactly.  This is likely in the 20 range for next year or the following year.  JT Miller is one of the best case scenarios for that type of range, so we get him now (Fully developed) on a good cap hit.  Only thing it impacts in my mind is the ability to offer sheet, but that is so rare anyways, it's likely not an issue.  

On 6/23/2019 at 2:35 AM, Hutton Wink said:

Miller is a 50-60 point player.

Our "current stage" is to become competitive and make the playoffs, not continue to wallow in the lottery.  We have lots of good drafted pieces in place and more on the way, it's time to supplement them with key pieces and start moving up the standings and competing with the big boys.

Well that's the strategic question and there's another answer to it besides yours, which is to accumulate a deeper pool of first rounders, particularly in next year's draft which is being compared to 2003 for its quality.  That is the approach that Winnipeg took and it's also what we'd have to do to match the kind of depth Colorado has:  I'd like to have a shot at getting by them in our conference once we're at the top of our cycle. 

So look, I can see Benning's thinking on this and he might well turn out to be right.  But it could also turn out to be a short-cut that hurts us when we're ready to be really good.  Only time will tell.  Just because we took one path doesn't mean there wasn't another, though. 

I will be very interested to see what Anders Lee gets in Free Agency.  JT Miller has actually scored 3 more points in a 4 less games over the last 4 years.  He is also 3 years younger and signed through his prime at a very reasonable cap number $5.25 million.  We are not stuck with him into his 30's.  

Whoever signs Lee will likely pay $7-8 Million for 7 years until he is 36.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Brian Burke on jt.

When JB acquired Miller - I immediately thought he was a more developed, fine-tuned, experienced Virt.  Essentially what Virt could be 2-3 years from now.  Their physical build is very similar and their production in their draft +1 years was close as far as ppg.  Even their first full years in the AHL they had similar production. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I will be very interested to see what Anders Lee gets in Free Agency.  JT Miller has actually scored 3 more points in a 4 less games over the last 4 years.  He is also 3 years younger and signed through his prime at a very reasonable cap number $5.25 million.  We are not stuck with him into his 30's.  

Whoever signs Lee will likely pay $7-8 Million for 7 years until he is 36.  

I am one of those crazy people who would love for JB to pay Lee 7 million per for 7 years.

Our top 6 right now would look awesome!!

Lee  Petersson  Boeser

Pearson  Horvat  JT Miller

wowza.....

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Miller could be a great example to Jake, on how he needs to play. 

Yep, add a contract year, and I think we'll see highly motivated and inspired play this season.  Wonder what this 2nd line could do, with teams zeroing in on our upgraded 1st line?

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser 

Pearson - Horvat - Virtanen

4 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Pearson - Horvat - Virtanen

That is not an ideal line to me.  Here is why:

1- Too much speculation. We are speculating the chemistry Pearson seemed to be building with Bo will continue.  We are speculating Virtanen would become a 2nd liner.

2- Quality.  Even if Virtanen improves, he is so far a long ways from being a high end 2nd liner.  Same goes for Pearson.  I think at best both players ceilings are 40-45 points.  Bo is already a low end 1st line player, currently good for at least 60 points and still improving.

Cap aside, I would love to bring in Lee for the 1st line.  He has 70 point potential playing with top guys imo.  That drops Miller to the 2nd where I think he is better suited and Bi finally gets a guy who should be good for 55-60 points. Then Baer and Pearson can battle it out for the remaining spot.

This scenario completely ignores our D though, which is our biggest need. I would sooner spend the money there.

3 minutes ago, kloubek said:

That is not an ideal line to me.  Here is why:

1- Too much speculation. We are speculating the chemistry Pearson seemed to be building with Bo will continue.  We are speculating Virtanen would become a 2nd liner.

2- Quality.  Even if Virtanen improves, he is so far a long ways from being a high end 2nd liner.  Same goes for Pearson.  I think at best both players ceilings are 40-45 points.  Bo is already a low end 1st line player, currently good for at least 60 points and still improving.

Cap aside, I would love to bring in Lee for the 1st line.  He has 70 point potential playing with top guys imo.  That drops Miller to the 2nd where I think he is better suited and Bi finally gets a guy who should be good for 55-60 points. Then Baer and Pearson can battle it out for the remaining spot.

This scenario completely ignores our D though, which is our biggest need. I would sooner spend the money there.

I would like Simmonds to play on that wing, but because he didnt score 20-30G in his contract year everyone thinks he is washed up. I think due to his down year he wont command the term or higher $ that he might have. Could be a good player for Jake to watch as well, brings an element of physicality that we all know we need.

Ferland is the other choice, but I would be hesitant, who knows the crazy term or $ he might want. Lee is also a guy I wouldnt want to go long term with and with the JT Miller trade I don't think the LW position is an area we need to address. A D would be ideal or a veteran RW like Simmonds on a 2-3yr year deal might be a great fit for our team.

I have always been a Simmonds fan, just my 2 cents but I think he will want to go to a contender vs a younger team like ours but you never know. Hope JB would at least call to gauge his interest. Think he would do well on our PP and fit nice with our young top 6

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I would like Simmonds to play on that wing, but because he didnt score 20-30G in his contract year everyone thinks he is washed up. I think due to his down year he wont command the term or higher $ that he might have.

Ferland is the other choice, but I would be hesitant

I too have always liked Simmonds. Ferland as well. Both could bring a lot of grit with contributions too. 

My issue With Simmonds is not knowing why he has regressed so fast. So long as Loui is here we can't afford bringing in yet another 4 million player (or more) if they are not going to live up to their contract.

I think Ferland would be a great add but I can't imagine we would want to pay what he is probably asking.

Seems like more than ever UFAs are looking to cash in on value and term which sucks when a team like ours has obvious needs and is trying to finally compete.

I would've liked having Simmonds a few years ago, but he will be 31 when the season starts and he's been regressing since 2015/16

2015/16 - 60 pts

2016/17 - 54

2017/18 - 46

2018/19 - 30

I'm not sure he's at an age where he'll have a bounce back and get to 50 points again. Although, I'm not sure who he played with in PHI and then NSH. 

I also heard or read somewhere that Ferland didn't want to come back to the west. Any truth to that?

I wouldn't mind them signing Donskoi for Bo's wing, and maybe Stralman to pair with Edler. I'd also like them to re-sign Hutton if possible, but he could become a King. LA just waived Phaneuf.

On 6/29/2019 at 1:28 PM, NUCKER67 said:

I would've liked having Simmonds a few years ago, but he will be 31 when the season starts and he's been regressing since 2015/16

2015/16 - 60 pts

2016/17 - 54

2017/18 - 46

2018/19 - 30

I'm not sure he's at an age where he'll have a bounce back and get to 50 points again. Although, I'm not sure who he played with in PHI and then NSH. 

I also heard or read somewhere that Ferland didn't want to come back to the west. Any truth to that?

I wouldn't mind them signing Donskoi for Bo's wing, and maybe Stralman to pair with Edler. I'd also like them to re-sign Hutton if possible, but he could become a King. LA just waived Phaneuf.

aside from last year he has been a consistant 40 pt plus player, closer to 50ish. Can be a net front presence on the PP, stands up for teammates. I dont want to overpay him but I think he could be a nice filler piece while providing leadership, scoring and grit. 

I just hope we dont go after anyone for a big $ or long term contract. We have enough negative $$$ or dead cap hit as it is, dont need to add to it. 

On 6/29/2019 at 5:28 PM, NUCKER67 said:

2015/16 - 60 pts

2016/17 - 54

2017/18 - 46

2018/19 - 30

Yeah, always liked Simmonds, but that is a trend line that doesn't bode well.  

Miller is a similar player but likely will get better with production with Ep40  or Bo as his center.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

30 goals and 60 plus points, while still playing a heavy power forward game?  

If he plays with Petey, 70+ points. Depends on Boeser production as well.

• Upvote 1