The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

I am of the camp that this works for us, we gave up zero of our young studs and looks like we acquired what everyone has been a crying for in top 6 talent at an affordable price. We need talent to play with the young guys now and we seem to have a nice pipeline building. I think you have to wait and see where we are when that first rounder comes into play before you can judge Benning an idiot or a genius but imo he made us quite a bit better without taking away from our talent pool of today.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Grape said:

I’ve been slacking on NHL coverage lately but if there’s no one trying to reach the floor then I’m down to throw in a guy like DiPietro honestly. 

Then I'm glad you're not in charge of trades. lol

I really think that would be a trade we'd be sorely regretting down the road.

Edited by The Lock

9 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Then I'm glad you're not in charge of trades. lol

I really think that would be a trade we'd be sorely regretting down the road.

We have 3 solid goalies. Eriksson’s contract is amongst the league’s worst. The only way we’d be sorely regretting the trade is if Markstrom and Demko miraculously both flop in the coming years and DiPietro does the opposite. Even then, FA is always an option for starting/backups.

1 minute ago, Grape said:

We have 3 solid goalies. Eriksson’s contract is amongst the league’s worst. The only way we’d be sorely regretting the trade is if Markstrom and Demko miraculously both flop in the coming years and DiPietro does the opposite. Even then, FA is always an option for starting/backups.

It isn't worth risking that just to get rid of cap. If we have to get rid of a pick or a low end prospect than so be it, but getting rid of a high end prospect is silly no matter what our situation now is. DiPietro is leverage for us later on and allows us flexibility just in case if one of our goaltenders goes downhill or gets injured which actually happens.

And while FA brings options, usually starting goaltenders aren't part of it unless if we want to overpay. Do you like overpaying for goalies?

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Corsi above 50% (53.8%), despite more defensive usage (48.6% offensive zone starts). Played a more defensive role in Tampa than in New York, which probably partly explains his drop in production. In New York, he was producing at a Bo Horvat level (Mid to high 50s in points).

Was pretty bad in the faceoff zone (low to mid 40%) until two years ago when he added that facet to his game. Last year he was at 49.4% and two years ago he was at 54.3%. Either way, he's more likely to play wing for us.

Let Manny school him on face offs

• Cheers 3

Like the player and his contract but not this deal for us at our current stage in the rebuild.  He will almost certainly make us better next year and for the rest of his contract.  But hitting on a low 20s first rounder (assuming that's the price) in 1 or 2 years' time would do more to bring us a cup.  I guess the trade-off is getting us to a better place in the short and medium term so morale doesn't become a problem.  We'll see how much better a place that runs out to be. 

Anyway, from now on the challenge for those of us who question the deal is to separate that issue from the player himself.  There's a lot to like about him.