The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

29 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Like the player and his contract but not this deal for us at our current stage in the rebuild.  He will almost certainly make us better next year and for the rest of his contract.  But hitting on a low 20s first rounder (assuming that's the price) in 1 or 2 years' time would do more to bring us a cup.  I guess the trade-off is getting us to a better place in the short and medium term so morale doesn't become a problem.  We'll see how much better a place that runs out to be. 

Anyway, from now on the challenge for those of us who question the deal is to separate that issue from the player himself.  There's a lot to like about him.

If the pick turns out to be at 20th or so than this is a good deal cause at that point, we will be counting our lucky stars if that pick turned out to be JT Miller. Now if that pick became a top 10 and god forbid a lottery pick than, oh boy...

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

If the pick turns out to be at 20th or so than this is a good deal cause at that point, we will be counting our lucky stars if that pick turned out to be JT Miller. Now if that pick became a top 10 and god forbid a lottery pick than, oh boy...

It would have to have happened twice for that to happen at least as if we dont' make the playoffs next year, we still have that lottery pick.

That's 2 chances for us to make the playoffs before we actually lose out on a lottery pick. Seeing how our team is gradually coming together fairly nicely, I think it's fair.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

It isn't worth risking that just to get rid of cap. If we have to get rid of a pick or a low end prospect than so be it, but getting rid of a high end prospect is silly no matter what our situation now is. DiPietro is leverage for us later on and allows us flexibility just in case if one of our goaltenders goes downhill or gets injured which actually happens.

And while FA brings options, usually starting goaltenders aren't part of it unless if we want to overpay. Do you like overpaying for goalies?

I think the disagreement here between us is of DiPietro. I personally think Mike is our most overvalued prospect at the moment. Of course I could be wrong. But for the sake of the argument I can pick a different player most would probably agree to be of lesser value, say, Palmu.

8 minutes ago, Grape said:

I think the disagreement here between us is of DiPietro. I personally think Mike is our most overvalued prospect at the moment. Of course I could be wrong. But for the sake of the argument I can pick a different player most would probably agree to be of lesser value, say, Palmu.

Palmu I would be better with. However, this is provided we'd even need to bribe another team to take Eriksson.

I think the most likely scenario will be a cap for cap swap of some sort like Eriksson for Neal or whomever or even part of a larger trade. It's not like Eriksson's completely useless and there is the chance he might actually be a better fit on another team. That being said, I highly doubt another team would be trading based on that alone.

3 hours ago, Tystick said:

I like the trade because we didn't give up a prospect.

Tampa is cap dumping a quality player for our 2019 3rd round pick and our 2020/21 first.

Unless we make more trades, look at it this way:

Baertschi(Panarin?) - Pettersson - Boeser

Miller - Horvat - Virtanen

Picks can be reacquired.

No big deal.

JT could be traded for a better 1st than the one we give Tampa.  He is being brought here for a top 6 spot on either Ep40's wing or Horvat's.  JT's production is going to go up.  

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

If that pick is a top 10 in 2021 then JB will be long gone.  Give JB credit.  They made a big deal for a solid top 6 two way winger with size.  They aren't done either.  

They could miss this year, but not next year.  The depth is being addressed with the picks of this draft.  RHD, we need 1 more legit top 4.  Woo, Stecher and ....   Trymakin can play on the right side, Rathbone and then nada.  

I gotta believe that with the JT deal, JB and co have a real FA target at RHD and believe they can get him.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I'm suspecting barring no trades.

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Fill-in.

for our top 6.  That isn't bad at all! Just need 1 more legit top 6 forward.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I'm suspecting barring no trades.

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Fill-in.

for our top 6.  That isn't bad at all! Just need 1 more legit top 6 forward.

I'm plugging Baertschi into that Fill-in spot.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Seems like the Canucks are giving up a lot (our #70 this year and a future 1st) for a player they might already have? (Pearson, Leivo, Virtanen)

Miller scored 13 goals last year. Virtanen had 15. 

He had (2) 22g and (1) 23g season prior to last year.  He only played 75games last season, so he may have had an injury that took longer to recover from.  Still, he managed to finish with 47pts.  I think he is better player than the 3 you've mentioned.  If he plays on Pete's line, he will likely improve his point producation.

His skating, physical play and competative edge will be good for the team.  I also like that he plays all 3 fw positions.  His contract is decent as well.

I think the management team are confident that they will make the playoffs this season, which would mean the 1st would be in the 16-20 range.  It is in a range where they might be able to trade for a similar 1st.

I want to see what else they have in mind for this roster.

12 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

He had (2) 22g and (1) 23g season prior to last year.  He only played 75games last season, so he may have had an injury that took longer to recover from.  Still, he managed to finish with 47pts.  I think he is better player than the 3 you've mentioned.  If he plays on Pete's line, he will likely improve his point producation.

His skating, physical play and competative edge will be good for the team.  I also like that he plays all 3 fw positions.  His contract is decent as well.

I think the management team are confident that they will make the playoffs this season, which would mean the 1st would be in the 16-20 range.  It is in a range where they might be able to trade for a similar 1st.

I want to see what else they have in mind for this roster.

That is practically a full season. You act like he's missing 2/3s of last season.

Just now, Dazzle said:

That is practically a full season. You act like he's missing 2/3s of last season.

It's not much, but I find that fans often underestimate the effect of missing something like 8 to 12 games in a season. Miller was on pace for 51 points in 82 games. If he plays those 7 games, we're talking about a guy with three straight 50+ point seasons. It's silly, but getting to a marker like 50 points can significantly change the perceptions of some people.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Dazzle said:

Not really.  I just think there was a sudden drop off in goals and wonder if he had one of those injuries that lingers.  Or perhaps he was utilized in a different role.  If you look at the prior 3 seasons, this last one is more of an anomaly than a normality. 

• Cheers 1