The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we a playoff team next year?

Rate this topic

tan

11 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Oh boy...

i meant this season...on the Canucks.

He is objectively a 30 point defensemen, and denying that makes you objectively wrong. 

Is your hatred of the player so intense that it blinds you to simple, objective facts?

On paper, I think we are absolutely a playoff team. Will have to fight tooth and nail but a playoff team. My only concern is with the injuries. I don't know if it is bad luck or what but the Canucks have lost a ton of man games due to injuries. I don't know about a lot of fans here but I remember last year, instead of looking at a score of a game, the first thing I checked was who got hurt. The worst thing I have noticed is how often a day to day goes into weeks and weeks or from weeks to months. I don't know who the doctors are but they are about as accurate as the weather forecasters. I don't see as much of that on other teams in the league. Ranting aside, if the Canucks are going to be a playoff team, they are going to have to find ways to minimize injuries.

Edited by smokes
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, smokes said:

On paper, I think we are absolutely a playoff team. Will have to fight tooth and nail but a playoff team. My only concern is with the injuries. I don't know if it is bad luck or what but the Canucks have lost a ton of man games due to injuries. I don't know about a lot of fans here but I remember last year, instead of looking at a score of a game, the first thing I checked was who got hurt. The worst thing I have noticed is how often a day to day goes into weeks and weeks or from weeks to months. I don't know who the doctors are but they are about as accurate as the weather forecasters. I don't see as much of that on other teams in the league. Ranting aside, if the Canucks are going to be a playoff team, they are going to have to find ways to minimize injuries.

I agree with this.  I also think that the added depth will help when injuries do strike and that both Edler and Tanev’s workload will be reduced with the additions on defense.   Myers and Hughes will end up running the first PP unit at some point, and Myers and Benn are both decent to very good PKers which will take the load off them too.   This could help tremendously, as will Sutter and Beagle taking the load off Horvat ... no way he can maintain last years load forever.   Think we might actually break the trend this year, but if we don’t at least we have way better depth.  Playoffs for sure on paper.  I think the Vegas bubble will pop a bit even with a Stone and Patches and SJ will be scraping to make the show if EK is less then 100%.    

• Upvote 2

Our major problem last year was scoring especially from our defence.  Canucks scored 225 goals 26th in the league.  Our defense combined for 135 points.

The 3 playoff teams defences in our division scored...Calgary 198...SJ 221...and Vegas 162.  

The significant changes from last year are.....Guddy, Hutton, and Pouliot out.  With their combined 40 points.

Myers, Benn, and Hughes are the main additions.  They should easily be able to get those 40 points.  In fact these 3 should be about to double that.

With better health for Edler and Tanev.  No reason the defence can't give us 50 more points, from 135-185. 

Offence, major changes are Miller and Ferland in.  Granlund and probably LE out, with their 51 total points.  Hopefully Miller and Ferland can total closer to 90.

Along with most of the forwards still improving with age.  90 more points, 50 from the defence, 40 from forwards. this season is not crazy.  That would be about 35 goals.  Moving from 225-260 goes from 26th to 10th.

That takes the teams goal differential from -29 to +6

We gave up 254 goals.  20th in the league.  Myers and Benn should help there, along with more games from Edler and Tanev.  Giving up just 15 less goals the team goes from 20th to 14th.  With a goal differential of +21.  That would put us 14th in the league and certainly in the playoff mix.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, BCNeil said:

Our major problem last year was scoring especially from our defence.  Canucks scored 225 goals 26th in the league.  Our defense combined for 135 points.

The 3 playoff teams defences in our division scored...Calgary 198...SJ 221...and Vegas 162.  

The significant changes from last year are.....Guddy, Hutton, and Pouliot out.  With their combined 40 points.

Myers, Benn, and Hughes are the main additions.  They should easily be able to get those 40 points.  In fact these 3 should be about to double that.

With better health for Edler and Tanev.  No reason the defence can't give us 50 more points, from 135-185. 

Offence, major changes are Miller and Ferland in.  Granlund and probably LE out, with their 51 total points.  Hopefully Miller and Ferland can total closer to 90.

Along with most of the forwards still improving with age.  90 more points, 50 from the defence, 40 from forwards. this season is not crazy.  That would be about 35 goals.  Moving from 225-260 goes from 26th to 10th.

That takes the teams goal differential from -29 to +6

We gave up 254 goals.  20th in the league.  Myers and Benn should help there, along with more games from Edler and Tanev.  Giving up just 15 less goals the team goes from 20th to 14th.  With a goal differential of +21.  That would put us 14th in the league and certainly in the playoff mix.  

Well done, I see the same outcome All we are missing is one more Dman get rid of Stecher and replace with a bigger Dman that can score .Out Eriksson play the kids.

2 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Well done, I see the same outcome All we are missing is one more Dman get rid of Stecher and replace with a bigger Dman that can score .Out Eriksson play the kids.

LE will get his chance in training camp to make the team. Same as everyone else. I still see LE as a good depth player. (Overpaid one) He just needs to embrace his new role as his old role has passed him by. 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

Assuming LE and Sutter are out is a dream.  Buyout proof contracts.  Impossible to love them without giving up another pick.

What a moving testiment to the heartbreak of love!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, spur1 said:

LE will get his chance in training camp to make the team. Same as everyone else. I still see LE as a good depth player. (Overpaid one) He just needs to embrace his new role as his old role has passed him by. 

True enough LE will get his chance. I wouldn't hold my breath though on him making the team. 

I think this seasons playoff hopes are up to the goalies. Can Markstrom have an encore of last season and can Demko take the next step to push for that starting role. If these two netminders share their own hot streaks, then maybe we see seven game winning streaks opposed to going the other way. With a tandem like that, I’m not worried about injuries except when it comes to them. Otherwise we have never had the amount of depth that we do now, so injuries will happen again but we will have the bodies for it. The key is in the net.

26D14FD0-D3E6-4FF0-AEF0-3714DCA3F34B.jpeg

89F1C6EB-484B-46FF-BCEC-6DC3562639D0.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2019 at 9:57 AM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

He is objectively a 30 point defensemen, and denying that makes you objectively wrong. 

Is your hatred of the player so intense that it blinds you to simple, objective facts?

Objectively ON THE JETS he was, Vancouver was 26th in scoring last year Tyler Myers goes from a team that was top tier the last few years in goals to one of the worst his offense also drops 

On 8/7/2019 at 9:07 PM, EP Phone Home said:

I think this seasons playoff hopes are up to the goalies. Can Markstrom have an encore of last season and can Demko take the next step to push for that starting role. If these two netminders share their own hot streaks, then maybe we see seven game winning streaks opposed to going the other way. With a tandem like that, I’m not worried about injuries except when it comes to them. Otherwise we have never had the amount of depth that we do now, so injuries will happen again but we will have the bodies for it. The key is in the net.

I would say Quinn and Myers' impacts would be as important if not more, since they would be the keys to transitioning from defense to offense, and they also need to be able to hold their own in their zone.  Teams can win with goalies who get hot and if the team in front of them can gel well, and I feel pretty confident in the scoring depth that's available (we probably have 6-7 top-6 wingers which is excellent depth, and Sutter/ Gaudette are major wildcards -- if Brandon can comeback and Adam can break out then that's 3 scoring lines -- that or they realize they need to bump J.T. Miller to the 3rd then that's also really solid

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser
Baertschi - Horvat - Pearson
Leivo - Miller - Virtanen

But on the back end, Stecher, Tanev and Benn won't be big producers, and Edler's also more all-round than a big numbers guy, so Quinn needs to live up to his expectations and if Myers can contribute around 30-35 (48 from his rookie year is probably a stretch) then that should really help, and if they can operate separately in man advantages then we could have two lethal units).

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Objectively ON THE JETS he was, Vancouver was 26th in scoring last year Tyler Myers goes from a team that was top tier the last few years in goals to one of the worst his offense also drops 

You don't know that his production drops. Your making assumptions and calling them facts, while also failing to take into account that our offense has, on paper, drastically improved. 

Also, he was generally a 30+ ppy pace player for the Sabres as well. 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=94206

Stats are right here for anyone to look at. 

Your assumptions of what the player will do on another team don't change what the objective facts are. Tyler Myers is O-B-J-E-C-T-I-V-E-L-Y a 30 point dman.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Upvote 2

On 8/4/2019 at 10:29 AM, smokes said:

With the added personel, even with injuries we won't fare how we did last year. Look at our top 6 without our top 2 defensemen last year (they were out at the same time during the year for a multiple game stretch at the end of february during which time we went 1-2-3, and Edler was out for our first 7 games of that 1-11-1 stretch from mid November to early December)

Hutton Stecher

Gudbranson Del Zotto

Pouliot Biega

?

Now look at this year's (if those same 2 are injured at the same time)

Hughes Myers

Benn Stecher

Juolevi Fantenberg

Biega

For forwards our depth is considerably improved as well. Should Pettersson be out for some games or Horvat, or the like, our depth is solid enough to not be as weak as it was last year

Ferland Pettersson/Horvat Boeser

Baertschi Miller Pearson

Eriksson Sutter Virtanen

Leivo Beagle Motte

Roussell Schaller Goldobin

Gaudette

We have talent to slot into our top 6 in Goldobin (can slot Miller in at center if need be and move Baertschi into the top 6), top 9 in Gaudette, Leivo, and Roussell, and bottom 3 in Schaller and MacEwen. Gaudette showed he wasn't fully ready for the time he got last year, so hopefully this year when he gets a chance he'll be able to produce.

I suppose we might lose some of that depth to waivers or trades at forward though.

Edited by Psycho_Path
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

You don't know that his production drops. Your making assumptions and calling them facts, while also failing to take into account that our offense has, on paper, drastically improved. 

Also, he was generally a 30+ ppy pace player for the Sabres as well. 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=94206

Stats are right here for anyone to look at. 

Your assumptions of what the player will do on another team don't change what the objective facts are. Tyler Myers is O-B-J-E-C-T-I-V-E-L-Y a 30 point dman.

Good one - re reading this thread and would add that Myers managed his 30ish points despite being on the third line and limited to no PP minutes.   Most of his production was 5 x 5 (against lesser competition which matters) but he also fared well with the opportunities he had.   Personally I think he has the chance to flirt with 40 points if he’s given  a decent amount of PP time .... he does have a much harder and more accurate point shot then Edler - 50% more of his shots end up in the net.   Hard to say how that will end up (doubt they put Hughes out there on his own at least at the start so might get some first unit PP time in which case I’d bank on 40 points over a full season) but even on the second PP unit (where Trouba got his turn) he should add to his totals enough to make up for the different levels of offense on the two teams...  

• Cheers 1

One more thing we now have is potential for chemistry.

It is hard to have great chemistry on a team that has no choice but to play certain guys in certain roles due to nobody else capable.  Now with so many guys who can flip between lines both on forward and d, we can place guys where where they belong while also finding the best linemates for them.

Ferland doesnt work on the first?  Throw him on the 2nd. Hell, he would look great with Virtanen too on the 3rd. That sort of thing. It must be like a kid in a candy store for Green - who can mix and match as he pleases.

I don't feel I am being a homer when I firmly believe the Canucks are indeed going to make the playoffs. This team is so dramatically improved overall, in obviously every detail imaginable. Scoring.  Size.  Depth.  Experience.  Goaltending (As a tandem). Chemistry (I presume). Character (LE aside). Pushback. And while I expect we will have our share of injuries, we can really only improve in that regard.

Haven't been so anticipating of a season for a long time. This one will be even sweeter thanks to the humble pie that shall be eaten by the media and fairweather fans. Bank it.

Edited by kloubek
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, kloubek said:

One more thing we now have is potential for chemistry.

It is hard to have great chemistry on a team that has no choice but to play certain guys in certain roles due to nobody else capable.  Now with so many guys who can flip between lines both on forward and d, we can place guys where where they belong while also finding the best linemates for them.

Ferland doesnt work on the first?  Throw him on the 2nd. Hell, he would look great with Virtanen too on the 3rd. That sort of thing. It must be like a kid in a candy store for Green - who can mix and match as he pleases.

I don't feel I am being a homer when I firmly believe the Canucks are indeed going to make the playoffs. This team is so dramatically improved overall, in obviously every detail imaginable. Scoring.  Size.  Depth.  Experience.  Goaltending (As a tandem). Chemistry (I presume). Character (LE aside). Pushback. And while I expect we will have our share of injuries, we can really only improve in that regard.

Haven't been so anticipating of a season for a long time. This one will be even sweeter thanks to the humble pie that shall be eaten by the media and fairweather fans. Bank it.

I mean its not Megna-Willie chemistry but its pretty good.

I also see the chance to be a much more resilient team, within games and also withstanding key injuries. 

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Sutter have a great year either given that he'll have the best line mates he's had yet. 

• Cheers 1