St. Louis Blues

Winnipeg

Nashville

Colorado

Calgary

San Jose Sharks

Vegas Golden Knights

No 8 spot: Canucks?

Minnesota Dallas Oilers are also eyeing this last playoff spot…

I mean Benning has to add more pieces this summer to compete this playoff spot.

We need sign another top 6 forward and a top 4 defenseman.

Panaran/Lee EP Boeser

Pearson Bo Miller

Leivo Gaudette Virtanen

Plugs….

Edler Gardiner

Tanev Hughes

Stecher Hutton

Plugs…

Having Hutton and Stetcher as a 3rd pairing would be a nice problem to have.

I'd like to move tanner down to the 3rd line and get another winger with only to letters in his first name to fill out that line

As it stands, I think we make it - as long as we dont have excessive injuries again.

Compared to last year (where I believe we had a chance if not for injuries) we have a full season of Hughes and have added Miller. We have a couple breakout season contenders as well, and may add Juolevi to the mix at some point. All good stuff.

But even if we do, I feel we are a strong winger and a scoring defenseman away from considering contention.

Depends on what we do to shore up the D. As of this moment, I'd say we're competitive, but don't quite get in, finishing with around 85-90 points. Miller and Hughes should do wonders for the offensive side of things, but we desperately need a top pairing right D and another top 6 forward. The top 6 doesn't necessarily have to be a young guy. Just a solid placeholder 'till Podkolzin is ready to go. If we can land a decent top 6 to play with Bo (assuming Miller is slotted in with Petey) and a right D that can play top pairing minutes, I say we get in.

It’s a solid group in the west that make the playoffs. It’ll be a battle. Canucks need about 95 points to make the playoffs next season, that’s 7 more wins needed then last season.( Canucks had 81 points ).

So can Canuck win 7 more games? I say yes because the injured D and the Poo factor cost Canucks at less that many wins.

• Upvote 1

A lot of things have to go right in order to be as good or better than last year.

- Markstrom has to continue to play like a top 5 goalie in the league

- the rest of the division/conference has to stay awful

-  EP has to find another level now that he isn’t a secret 

- We need some players to come out of nowhere and score 20 goals

- Somehow we need to avoid injuries t our top 4 D

Any of the above goes wrong and we are on the outside looking in.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

The Miller trade is bad. But I think it sends a message to the Owners and the players: we are on the verge of being a playoff team. 

Perhaps it will lure some UFA's as well. It's a ballsy move, hopefully it pays off. 

Please explain your rationale behind this statement.

We need 1 if not 2 top-4 defencemen and then it all comes down to goaltending. If we get the Markstrom who showed up last season we might be a surprise contender, if not we're bottom dwellers.

The forwards are set, just a tweak here or there.

The defence is far from sorted. We have to assume we'll go through long spells of the season with a top guy injured and we can't fall out of playoff contention again the way we have the last few seasons when Edler and Tanev get injured. We need a top 4 guy who can step up. Hate Myers and Gardiner all you want but they can fill that role. Stralman could do the same.

Trade Sutter for a youngish defenceman and sign one of Myers/Gardiner and suddenly we're steaming.

7 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Not right now no. We could have really used that 1st rounder we pissed away today.

Ya that 2021 first round pick really has implications on the Canucks upcoming season. 

• Cheers 1

We will have a full season of impact from players like

Pearson, Hughes, JT Miller, + the addition of a new defenceman likely.

Add in the natural progression and improvement of Bo, Jake, Petey, Boeser, Stech... the arrival and potential output of Juolevi?? (Good chance Juolevi puts out more offence then both plebs we had on our bottom pair last season. The bar isn't exactly high).

If u can even imagine it.. Petey is gonna take a step.. Boeser is gonna hit 35 at least imo. We have a lot of reasons to think this team will take a step. I think we could see Motte pick up his game and build on his 9 goals last season. Motte was highly productive in college I don't see why he can't be a 30-35 PT player next season if he has teammates that can help produce.  Remember our bottom six produced next to nothing.. Gaudette was an offensive blackhole.I would think he starts to produce. I think we are a playoff team and we magically aren't we will be the following year.

19 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

With our d? not likely.

Basically right now it looks like this

Edler- Tanev

Hughes - TBD

Hutton - Stecher

Juolevi - Woo

Biega

when do we plan the parade?1915

Our team, especially D, is far from set. This will be a very active summer.

9 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Keep in mind. If EP gets a sophomore slump and Boeser gets complacent with a fat contract. No chance in hell we make it.

I don't think Boeser is the complacent type. Character guy that wants to earn his paycheck and wont take shortcuts.  

• Upvote 1

Can Edler play as well as last year? Can he and Tanev play all year?  Does Bear Cheese recover 100% and fill a top six spot?  Can Virtannen become the wrecking ball we all want while maintaining last years defencive growth?  Lots of questions that lead up to a big ol maybe