The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we a playoff team next year?

Rate this topic

tan

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Even the top teams are a key injury of two away from missing the playoffs.  JB getting Miller is an insurance policy against injury in our top six.  We are a much better team today, than we were when the season ended.  

Yep...this. Our team healthy would have made the playoffs in the tire fire Western Conference last year. Adding Hughes to the defence, maybe Juolevi and now Miller gives some real hope. For what it’s worth I’ve got a $100 bet with a leafs fan that the Canucks go further than the laughs next year...sounds like easy money to me. 

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Rodishred said:

I understand but the question is for right now (pull out your crystal ball!)... What do you think?  Gotta put your neck out there.

I think absolutely!  I see us either 'overachieving' and getting in the #6-7 spot and making a run to at least deep into the second round or just missing and moving up into the top 3 of the lottery!  

Either way this seasons going to be a great one... gauranteed!

I'll say nope. 1 player is not enough and a rookie dman will get tired by March.....

But I see at least 2 roster moves coming and that might be enough!

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2019 at 12:16 PM, tan said:

The short answer is 50/50

next year teams likely make playoff in West:

St. Louis Blues

Winnipeg

Nashville

Colorado

Calgary

San Jose Sharks

Vegas Golden Knights

No 8 spot: Canucks?

Minnesota Dallas Oilers are also eyeing this last playoff spot…

Don't sleep on the Coyotes. I think they'll be better than the Wild.

On 6/22/2019 at 12:16 PM, tan said:

We need sign another top 6 forward and a top 4 defenseman.

We still need to pay Boeser, etc. From what I read somewhere, if we sign a Myers or Gardiner to their expected high-priced deals, there goes the cap space to sign another top 6 forward.

I think the play off is a must because Benning wouldn't trade away a first for a depth-player if not. 

Hughes is the key. If he can be a top4d we're in position. If we can get another top4d we're definately in play off. 

So it's only the defence against. 

15 hours ago, Fanuck said:

If you're gonna push me for an answer right now, then no, sorry - I don't believe we make it the way we're built right now at this exact moment

We had a pretty terrible -30 goal differential last season.  The last wildcard team (Col) had a +14 differential - theoretically that's almost 45 more goals we need to score than allow and still hope the other lower teams don't improve equally as much as us or worst case, leapfrog us entirely.  Does anyone realistically see us closing that gap with virtually the exact same forward roster plus Miller?  Not to mention we were 23rd overall in the league in GF - we desperately need to score and all we did was add Miller - even if he has a career year and gets say 30g, we still need to find more scoring from somewhere.  That's not even mentioning the defence which imo is the biggest weakness of this club right now.  We let in the 5th most goals in the entire western conference last season and as it stands right now, we're bringing back pretty much the EXACT same defense core with the exception of having a full year of Hughes - and let's be honest, we expect a lot of the kid because we're CDC, but NO ONE expects him to be the guy who comes in here and sets the defensive tone in our own end.   

Listen, I desperately want this club to succeed, but realistically, the way we are built right now, I don't see playoffs happening.  People are recently saying we can expect development and improvement from within as our core group of kids naturally get better and put up more numbers - well what club in the west doesn't have a group of young kids who will do the same - so for me that's a wash.  AZ,Chi,Edm can all realistically expect improvement as well imo (well maybe not EDM lol:).  Their franchises aren't standing still - they are improving also.  So where have we improved significantly right now where other non-playoff teams haven't?  Imo, we haven't improved enough in the most important areas - putting goals in the other teams net, and keeping goals out of our own net. 

I haven't even touched on the aging vets who will undoubtedly get injured along the way - Sutter, Tanev, Eagle, Roussel, maybe Beagle again - some of these guys will undoubtedly suffer injuries and where's the depth to replace them, especially on defence? 

Maybe JB will pull a rabbit out of a hat and surprise us with something (or scare the bejesus out of us once again on July1) this summer? 

But like I said, the exact way we are put together right now at this very moment on June 23rd - I don't see playoffs next spring unfortunately.    People may not like hearing that, but objectively, realistically, that's how I see it. 

No seeing it quite as black and white as you Fanuck... 

Brock was clearly playing injured first half of season and EP ran out of steam by the end. Hughes played only 5 games... and Pearson was required during the season playing only 19 games...

Feel confident Virtanen will play at least as well as last year, and expect Baertschi to play more than 26 games... and Gaudette to take a step forward.

Amongst the rest I hope that Sutter will finally live up to the 'iron man' streak he had shown before joining us. Expecting more goal from him as well as out 4th line will not be unrealistic. 

And then at least 20 goals from Miller...

But the big issue is the back end and the PP.

Fully expect Benning to go in to FA to acquire a D-man if not two. Of last seasons roster Gudbransson 57g 2 goals, Biega 41g 2 goals, Pouliot 62 g 3 goals, Tanev 55g 2 goals, MDZ 23g 1 goal, Schenn 18g  goals, Sautner 17g 0 goals etc.... Totally 10 goals :sick:

Guddy, MDZ and Pouliot gone, so I hope, more than expect, more goal from the back end once we have acquired another D-man or two. If that is the case, they can hardly do worse, I think we are in the hunt for a playoffs wild card at least.

And I also think its fair to assume our PP will improve with the addition of Hughes, so I think there is some room for optimism. I will not rely on OJ just yet, although the coming season could be the season he enters the league.... and next year we may be Woo'd...

Time will tell, but I'm cautiously more optimistic, and I do think we have a chance...

I will however say, that I feel more optimistic about our chances in 2 years time. Trym, OJ and Woo all possibles.... We'll see :)

Unless there is a lot of moves yet to come I think we are hard pressed to get out of the bottom ten. Our cap room is not as big as people think. Bonuses could be as much as 4.6 mil and I doubt they can move LE.   ( Petey and Hughes should hit their bonus)  I think they add one D man. 

Considering nobody seemed to want the eight spot in the west this year, maybe. 

Have yet to see what a full year of a healthy Brock looks like. 

If Pettey can stay more consistent this year he could drag us in, he is that good. 

Mid all we end up doing is add Myers from here I would say probably not though. 

Really would like to see some players come off the roster, not just draft pics leaving. Let the team know that when we keep losing there is some accountability. 

19 hours ago, Vanman72 said:

The Goal should not be making the playoffs but winning the StanleyCup, and after watching the hockey played in the playoff this year the Canucks are so far away from that dream.  The sad part of this being a Canucks fan is I see Colorado and many other west teams further along in their rebuilds then the Canucks . I would say in about 6-7 yrs the Canucks will have a window for a couple years of cup runs if things keep going the way they are. I hope I am wrong.

The challenge is that championship windows are getting smaller given the size of the RFA contracts. It really comes down to whether the young core on a team is a SC winning group. If they aren't and a team commits dollars to them then the team is in a tough place.

Everyone was all about the Leafs but they will have trouble adding talent moving forward and Colorado will be in a similar situation soon enough. Canucks will have to deal with this issue as well. I think the drive of Petey, Hughes and Boeser will be good enough to challenge for a SC so I am all for putting cap friendly role players around them as soon as possible.

Another factor in favour of the Canucks making the playoffs this season is the schedule will be much better this season compared to last years. 

The schedule last year most definitely affected our team in a negative way. 

24 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Another factor in favour of the Canucks making the playoffs this season is the schedule will be much better this season compared to last years. 

The schedule last year most definitely affected our team in a negative way. 

The Canucks almost always have the toughest schedule in the league due to their location. Has there been reports confirming the Canucks are expected to have a much better schedule for 2019/2020?

4 hours ago, Maketherightmove said:

The Canucks almost always have the toughest schedule in the league due to their location. Has there been reports confirming the Canucks are expected to have a much better schedule for 2019/2020?

Lol.... just a regular schedule will be better than last years schedule. 

I hope so, we'll see how the rest of the conference shapes up but we have definitely improved.

Alot will ride on Petterson not having a sophomore slump and goaltending.

This is the first year since the rebuild I am optimistic about their chances to make it to the dance. 

Living out of province and working as much as I do, I find it hard to watch games or haven't tried as hard as I did when we were a playoff team in the past.

Most my time is spent reading up on prospects and how the graduated ones have been looking.

Watched more for Petterson last season

This season I will be trying to watch as many as I can and see how this group is coming along, I think we are in for exciting hockey and they have a good shot at the playoffs.

The added D today improves the back end for sure. Even if Edler and Tanev are injured this season, which they always are, we have a bit more depth to whether it.

Now the real challenge becomes how to get more out of the power play. With Petterson being the trigger man with the One timer on the power play we need to get more from the D. Bo in front, Brock on the other wing.Maybe Hughes and Edler on the point?

Depending on How Miller pans out we might have a decent second unit s well. Myers is no slouch and i am not sure but i thought Benn played a bit of PP as well. We may have an improvement there and this could give us enough goals to jump up in the standings.

Baer being healthy would make a difference. Theres some pieces there.

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

The added D today improves the back end for sure. Even if Edler and Tanev are injured this season, which they always are, we have a bit more depth to whether it.

Now the real challenge becomes how to get more out of the power play. With Petterson being the trigger man with the One timer on the power play we need to get more from the D. Bo in front, Brock on the other wing.Maybe Hughes and Edler on the point?

Depending on How Miller pans out we might have a decent second unit s well. Myers is no slouch and i am not sure but i thought Benn played a bit of PP as well. We may have an improvement there and this could give us enough goals to jump up in the standings.

Baer being healthy would make a difference. Theres some pieces there.

I think Myers will play on the second unit for sure. Given Hughes' crazy stick handling and quickness (in 3 on 3, he can easily look like a forward), I suspect Green will have no issues having him join the PP even with Edler or Myers already there.

• Cheers 1

The biggest thing that I believe gets overlooked a lot of the time is how close most of the league is on any given day. We are usually in most games the majority of the time and the only time we get outclassed is when we are decimated with injuries or we are playing TB(for e.g.). I remember so many times some on CDC were saying we were going to get smoked on our California trips and a lot of times we came out on top.

We have enough pieces in place to put us in competition to get into the playoffs but there are so many other variables its impossible to say for sure either way. Look at St. Louis and how they went from the bottom of the standings to winning to all or Vegas the year before. To say we are going to make the playoffs for sure or not is pure speculation and all we can do is put pieces of the puzzle in place and see what happens.

Petey is going to do well next year but I think he will even do better the year after. The same with Hughes. Then we have other prospects who will eventually make there way on the team and older players will leave.

In some instances we got better simply by subtraction. Getting rid of soft, middle of the road players such as Spooner,Pouliot and Hutton is automatically going to make us stronger.

By our recent additions and subtractions we have upped our chances at the playoffs. Not a sure thing, just purely increased our chances, which is really all we could ask for IMO.