The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ethan Keppen | LW

Was ranked 70-90 by a few sources. Then #112 on FC. And we get him #122.

30 goals & 59 points in 68 games. Not bad production for a 4th round pick.  And he's 6'2 / 210.

Don't know anything about him but seems like a decent pick.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/418534/ethan-keppen

He is a high-volume shooter, with many of his shots coming from in close, and in the slot, McKeen's Hockey 2019

His frame and willingness to physically engage made him an impressive forechecker as well, Hockeyprospect.com 2019

He has the hockey sense and playmaking ability to make him a dangerous player offensively, Future Considerations 2019

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

“Keppen is a true power forward that won’t beat defenders with finesse, but rather to blow through them at any given opportunity. He’s as strong as an ox already and is just going to get stronger as he physically matures. His style alone opens up space for himself and his teammates. He’s willing to drive to the goal with and without the puck. He is extremely good on the forecheck and rarely loses a puck battle. When combined with his relentless work ethic, he is quite simply a physical beast.

His skating stride is long and powerful and he does cover a lot of ice with those long strides. His speed is okay, but I wonder just how fast he could be if he worked on his technique. Keppen more often then not stands upright when he reaches top speed. But with the quality of skating coaches available to players these days, I have no worries that the kinks will get worked out and that coaches will find the technique that works best for him.

First and foremost, Keppen is considered a goal scorer. But I think his playmaking abilities are underrated. Of his 23 assists to date this season, 18 of them are primary assists, third only to Arthur Kaliyev (20) and Philip Tomasino (21) and tied with Ryan Suzuki among draft eligible players. His primary assists to assists (78.2%) is second among all players next to fellow draft eligible Connor McMichael (82.7%).

Keppen won’t beat a goaltender with a deceptively quick release on his shot. Instead, it’s hard, heavy and deadly accurate and he can quite simply overpower a netminder. Hard to predict how that will translate to the next level, but it’s also hard to predict just how much heavier that shot will become when he matures physically.”

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/ohlwriters.me/2019/02/12/ethan-keppen-flint-firebirds-player-profile/amp/

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1