The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ethan Keppen | LW

Just now, Dannydog said:

Because he has size and toughness (in the Ohl) is precisely why Gadjovich is having to adjust in the AHL. Might just be the same  learning curve Ethan will have to adjust to also.Hard to say if hes that much more likely of making the NHL until hes put in that position. 

Ethan is a much better skater, and puck handler.  Gadjovich needs to be a physical beast, or he is not helping his team.  

8 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

i can see Gadjovich being a Darren Archibald type of player. Career AHLer who gets some NHL games in when injuries occur. Has to win fights to be relevant 

I typically don’t like drafting bigger more physically mature guys in the first couple rounds that seem to get pretty much all their points because of that size advantage. I still would have went high IQ and skill over Gadjovich. Just like I would have preferred Ehlers to Virtanen. However Keppen in the 4th round was a great pick.

Gads has this year to bounce back.  Same with Lind.  

Keppen is a beast and drives play.  Gads doesn't and didn't drive play.  

Let's see what happens with Gads this season.  He likely had very specific areas to work on.  

As for faking big guys.  We need big guys.  We need complimentary players for EP40 and Bo.  Guys that play the right way and can support the line drivers.  

This team has taken a number of shots at the PF type player, this draft shows how high a priority it is for JB.  Podz is a PF player.  A 200ft PF.  Keppen was forecasted as Podz 2.0 in a scouting report I read.  

That JB drafted both is telling.  

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2019 at 12:50 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Just watched this  - sounds like he and Podkolzin could be a formidable pair of wingers with the right center.  Gaudette??  Maybe Madden?? Do they need a finisher, or a grinder?

Edited by Googlie

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I was impressed with Keppen during his first Canucks training camp. He is stronger and faster than I thought he would be. Must be something in the water back in Flint to make him like this! 

I'm really high on Keppen too.  He's a big, nasty, hard to play against guy, who has soft hands, and moves well too.  He's going to be a player for us.  

• Cheers 1

On 7/23/2019 at 5:08 AM, Phat Fingers said:

Gads has this year to bounce back.  Same with Lind.  

Keppen is a beast and drives play.  Gads doesn't and didn't drive play.  

Let's see what happens with Gads this season.  He likely had very specific areas to work on.  

As for faking big guys.  We need big guys.  We need complimentary players for EP40 and Bo.  Guys that play the right way and can support the line drivers.  

This team has taken a number of shots at the PF type player, this draft shows how high a priority it is for JB.  Podz is a PF player.  A 200ft PF.  Keppen was forecasted as Podz 2.0 in a scouting report I read.  

That JB drafted both is telling.  

Considering Zegras was our guy this year I wouldn't put too much stock in trying to forecast a player type Benning is keying in on.

2 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Considering Zegras was our guy this year I wouldn't put too much stock in trying to forecast a player type Benning is keying in on.

I wouldn't put alot of stock into Zegras being our guy.  Podz fell to us.  Had both been available at the same time, who knows.  

By taking both Podz and Keppen, two bigger players, and great picks, Benning is addressing key areas of weakness.  

As for targeting players.  Hogslander was targeted.  A unicycling swedish player.  Maybe JB is 'targeting' unicyclests.  Or JB and Brackett are looking for value with their selections at the draft.  

Are they only picking one type of player, no.  But heading into this draft, Podz is a team need and a great selection.  Keppen was considered Podz 2.0 (Scouching report). When looking at his numbers and how bad his team was, Keppen has 'steal' potential.  

Two guys that play the game the right way with size and IQ.  Jack Malone alsonfits that same profile.  3 players in one draft, all sharing the same traits and attributes to a certain extent.  Cowinkydink or not, a patern exists. 

I choose to call it targeting, you can call it whatever you like.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

So very glad Zegras was gone before we picked.  He's another soft perimeter guy who might put up 50 to 60 points, but if not scoring hurts his team, especially as games get harder.  These guys eat up cap dollars that make it near impossible to round out a roster with experienced guys.  Just look at Ehlers in Winnipeg, and Nylander in Toronto.  Much rather have Sutter and Beagle than either of those two.   

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2019 at 11:03 AM, flickyoursedin said:

I typically don’t like drafting bigger more physically mature guys in the first couple rounds that seem to get pretty much all their points because of that size advantage. I still would have went high IQ and skill over Gadjovich. Just like I would have preferred Ehlers to Virtanen. However Keppen in the 4th round was a great pick.

Just because Gadjovich is a physical player doesnt mean he does not have hockey IQ.  The issue actually is Gadjovich is a very smart player, but his legs and skating hinder his ability to get him to the places he knows where to go.  Very much like Brendan Gaunce.

Gadjovich was his teammate last year and can see the effects of a high draft pick who has subpar skating can hinder your career despite having a good mind for the game.  Gadjovich knows where to go, and you can see his intent, but he is always a few seconds behind because his skating stride looks choppy and doesn't get a full extension out when he pushes off so he isn't getting a lot of acceleration or speed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I don't understand what the 'new thing' you're talking about is. 

That somehow (even though it's really foolish and clearly wrong) some posters will feel the Canucks got the lesser player in Podkolzin when compared to Zegras.