The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Carson Focht | C

elvis15

10 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Seems like a good kid, but would have taken a chance on Martin Hugo Has with this pick, big czech RD with a big shot and has top 4 potential. Not a huge fan of drafting overagers.  

Perhaps the attraction of having a player they can keep a little better tabs on, also with a quicker route to the AHL, played a part in the choice they made. There's upside of course (or else they wouldn't have bothered) but they're probably looking at a lot of factors like that they wouldn't consider in the first few rounds.

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

True, it's a 12% chnace in fact of making it, there again some of those listed are certainly neither top 4 or top two lines … but yes they are playing in the NHL. By the way you missed Gaudette from your list :) But if 12% make it 88% don't

I was only mentioning players who are at least part-time top-6/top-4.

On 6/30/2019 at 5:46 AM, D-Money said:

Any 5th rounder is not likely to be a player, for starters.

In Focht's case though, he had a big jump in production this year over last. Also, not all points are created equal. It's not like he was on a stacked team getting easy second assists by passing to a surefire stud. Nobody on the Hitmen was much over a point-per-game.

Gaudette didn't look like much when they took him either. 

We have had luck with our 5th rounders.  As for guys that went undrafted at least once, we have has luck with them too.  Burrows, Tanev and Trymakin.  

Looks like Focht was scouted and the team knows what they are getting.  Love under the radar guys that exceed expectations.  

Funny seeing people doubt this pick with Gaudette on our roster this year.  

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Perhaps the attraction of having a player they can keep a little better tabs on, also with a quicker route to the AHL, played a part in the choice they made. There's upside of course (or else they wouldn't have bothered) but they're probably looking at a lot of factors like that they wouldn't consider in the first few rounds.

I would like to see the Canucks take some chances on some non overager European Dmen in the later rounds. Its a good place to find hidden gems due to lack of exposure. Need young D prospects in the system.   

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I would like to see the Canucks take some chances on some non overager European Dmen in the later rounds. Its a good place to find hidden gems due to lack of exposure. Need young D prospects in the system.   

I'd like the team to...you know...pick A defenseman?

1 minute ago, WeneedLumme said:

You mean like Hughes or OJ or Woo? Or any of the many other Dmen JB has drafted for us?

Tryamkin says hi too. :towel:

Those guys would make a pretty darned good top four, wouldn’t they?  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes, it would not be a total shock for those guys to become our top 4 a few years down the road. Nice mix of skill and physicality.

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

You mean like Hughes or OJ or Woo? Or any of the many other Dmen JB has drafted for us?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Don't forget our hidden gem, Rathbone.  ::D

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Don't forget our hidden gem, Rathbone.  ::D

I always forget about Rathbone, but he’s really good.

Hughes

OJ

Woo

Tryamkin

Rathbone

That's a pretty good list of D.  

• Upvote 1

The only reason I showed any interest in Focht is an unknown ( to me any ways ) is now selected for the Hockey Canada summer invite camp leading up to the WJC. What that tells me is although a 5th round choice maybe just maybe this kid has been scrutinized by independents and seems to have passed the test. At very least makes you think

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I watched the game and was impressed with his work ethic.  Could turn into a JB type as a good forth line center that does all the little tings right; kind of like LE but much cheaper.. ::D Sorry Timirafan.

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

I watched the game and was impressed with his work ethic.  Could turn into a JB type as a good forth line center that does all the little tings right; kind of like LE but much cheaper.. ::D Sorry Timirafan.

Is he softer than warm butter too??   :ph34r: