The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will this be the final nail to the coffin?

Rate this topic

kacholu

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

When posters like this hate the trade, it makes me like it even more.

Reminds me of so many overreactions on here that ended up making posters look silly in the end.

DeNiro, you've been around here for almost as long as me and I have always respected your opinion. Even has a die hard Benning fanboy I'm struggling with this trade... Why are you so confident in this trade?

1 minute ago, BCNate said:

Nah, I think we will sign Stralman and trade for Dillon from the Sharks.  Those 2 and Hughes change the look of our back end dramatically.

Hughes taking some pressure off of Edler and Tanev also helps 

13 minutes ago, OneSeventeen said:

JT Miller is management pushing for the playoffs. Risky with just Hughes and Joulevi coming up as upgrades on defence. 

Fingers crossed that whoever is in charge in 2021 doesn't over extend themselves at the trade deadline. 

Is it October already? My, how time flies! :shock:

Edited by aGENT
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Nah, I think we will sign Stralman and trade for Dillon from the Sharks.  Those 2 and Hughes change the look of our back end dramatically.

I have no issue with signing Stralman but trading for for Dillion may take more than we have to offer.

I like the way you are thinking though, 1915

The final nail was the Gudbranson trade.

If Gillis doesn’t get fired in 2014, we have Larkin instead of Virtanen.

The whole complexion of the team changes and we likely aren’t the worst team these past 4 years that trades first round picks as if were playoff contenders.

Edited by Seinfeld
  • Wat 2

57 minutes ago, kacholu said:

There is no secret JB got absolutely bent over on the TB trade today. Even the Homer fans won't be able to defend him now. 

Other teams are handing out assets to take on cap dumps yet our incompetent gm hands out a 3rd AND 1st for a cap dump. This his way of taking advantage of the cap. I'm about to puke just thinking about how bad this trade is. 

Nothing against Miller but he's a 50 pt guy on TB. Do you homers really think he will get that here in Van? 

Anyways, I truly hope this will be the end of JB. We have been a train wreck ever since he's been in charge. Our farm team is a joke, our trades are a joke and let's hope he's gone before it's too far. 

This one is worth keeping for the archives :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kacholu said:

There is no secret JB got absolutely bent over on the TB trade today. Even the Homer fans won't be able to defend him now. 

Other teams are handing out assets to take on cap dumps yet our incompetent gm hands out a 3rd AND 1st for a cap dump. This his way of taking advantage of the cap. I'm about to puke just thinking about how bad this trade is. 

Nothing against Miller but he's a 50 pt guy on TB. Do you homers really think he will get that here in Van? 

Anyways, I truly hope this will be the end of JB. We have been a train wreck ever since he's been in charge. Our farm team is a joke, our trades are a joke and let's hope he's gone before it's too far. 

bubbbb.gif.576fd754b55b3a47ba64d0ed171b5d5e.gif

• Haha 2

Gee whiz the whining and complaining are getting ridiculous. We won’t know if it was worth it until Miller actually plays and Tampa selects (if we make the playoffs). It’s risky, but a couple years down the road it could pay off big time. 

I honestly need to step away from CDC and sit in the sun and have a cider. Some of you are throwing 4 year old like tantrums. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

People think we're still in the early days of a rebuild... it's been 4 years. We've gone through the tough part, establishing a new core. It's time to build around Horvat, Boeser, Petey and Hughes. This adds a scoring forward on contract.

I'm not a huge fan of losing a first, but the sky is not falling. 

With the luck on our lottery, are you kidding? I started laughing when i read this... and since is there a guarantee all first rounders are destined to play top 6? Let alone make the nhl? None whatsoever, imo the OP is an idiot and you nailed it. I didn't think it was rocket science to know our top 6 needed a player like miller with his style of play to compliment our core as a top tier team needs balance and we're getting closer to that with this move... however i suppose not everyone sees it that way...

Edited by iceman64
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

bubbbb.gif.576fd754b55b3a47ba64d0ed171b5d5e.gif

Do you honestly think your not the homer here? 

Like it or not, you are. If not, a troll at best.

So let's play that out shall we? Say we do the same as last year, end up with potential 7th pick and as usual we drop a few spots to 10-12... do you actually think your going to get some super  kid guaranteed to make top 6? If you do your a complete fool..

Maz was expendable due to Kielly and MD isn't too far away from depth at G..

So how is this some sort of an over payment?

Edited by iceman64
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

DeNiro, you've been around here for almost as long as me and I have always respected your opinion. Even has a die hard Benning fanboy I'm struggling with this trade... Why are you so confident in this trade?

Well it is a lot better than a second for Vey. 

People keep looking at this as a cap dump but this is a good player who was buried in a really good team  with what RFAs and UFAs are going for, he has term and a reasonable contract. 

I don’t like to see a rebuilding team give up firsts.  But I generally think that Benning thinks we are a lot further in this rebuild then I do. Then again, I want to see a cup winning team, I think at this point they are more concerned about Being a playoff contender than cup contender. 

At what point do you start focusing on the rest of your roster? Before you know it we will have high cap hit players in Pete, boeser, Horvat next contract, Hughes and likely another high end d. 

Then there's pods who at some point will also be a high earner. 

We don't need to be thinking about getting more high end picks. Guys like Horvat and Pete are tired of losing already.  We need to start to win and gain playoff experience

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Honestly, it's funny that things never change. I've been a fan for nearly 20 years and the overreactions are unceasing. This team has trended up for the next two years and things are looking up. The only way I see Benning being fired is if the team fails to make the playoffs by 2021 or falls to the bottom three next year somehow.

Absolutely right.

Giving up a first round pick that is conditional is not the end of the world.  If we make the playoffs/finish out of the lottery range, this will not be a problem.

Yes, if we'd made a deal like this 2 or 3 years ago?  Lol, totally different.  The team is trending upward, a lot of things are about to happen that will change everything: Hughes plays a full year, Pettersson 15 pounds tougher, Boeser not injured (able to train in the summer), either of Juolevi or Woo making the team by Christmas next year, and this kid Hoglander looks capable of making the team this Fall.  

1 hour ago, Stamkos said:

Guys just entering his prime and was stuck with limited minutes on a stacked Tampa team. He could potentially get to 70+ points on a line with skilled offensive guys like Petey and Brock. I’d rather a 70+ point guy than a wild card

He could equally be worse higher up in the lineup.  In TB he is protected and feasting on way lesser competition, especially The D he faces.

You just never know until he has been here for a while.  Sometimes players are bad on bad teams, and are good on good teams.  Sutter was supposed to be a 2nd line centre on our worse team and just stuck behind depth.  Turns out he was what he was.

I am not too fussed about this, I suspect we could have gotten a similar player for less once the low cap implications dealt settle in on teams.  It has just been confirmed to be $81.5 million.   I am not sure Miller is who I would have spent one of my most valuable trade chips for.  They paid full retail price for him and didn’t get a discount for Tampa’s cap issues.

I am prepared to see what the entirety of the offseason looks like and what our lineup is before passing any judgement.  It is really important that we add two top 6 wingers, and at least one and probably two top 4 D.  We are 1/3rd the way there with Miller.

If we end the offseason with either Anders Lee or Panarin and Colin Miller, or Myers (for reasonable cost)... we have to be pretty happy.

Lee-Petterson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Miller

Baertschi-Gaudette-McEwan/Virtanen

Rousell-Beagle-Motte

Granlund

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Myers

Miller-Tanev

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Well it is a lot better than a second for Vey. 

People keep looking at this as a cap dump but this is a good player who was buried in a really good team  with what RFAs and UFAs are going for, he has term and a reasonable contract. 

I don’t like to see a rebuilding team give up firsts.  But I generally think that Benning thinks we are a lot further in this rebuild then I do. Then again, I want to see a cup winning team, I think at this point they are more concerned about Being a playoff contender than cup contender. 

People are? What people? Iv seen one or two dweebs claiming that, but that doesn't seem to be the norm. We overpaid for a good player, that's what I see

Just now, shayster007 said:

People are? What people? Iv seen one or two dweebs claiming that, but that doesn't seem to be the norm. We overpaid for a good player, that's what I see

Well, I will assume those dweebs are people and not cats. 

TB cap situation improved a lot with the help of a friendly doctor. They weren’t in desperate straights. 

May have been an overpayment. Won’t know for a few years. Miller was 15th pic that really worked out well. We are giving up a lower pic than 15 and a 3rd.   Neither of those pics are likely to be anywhere near Miller at the end of the day. 

Dont like to see rebuilding team trading away pics but it is what Benning does. 

I love what Benning did. looking forward to the start of the season when Miller is with Bo or Pettersson's and Boesers line.  should be exciting times. like I said before you don't get anything for nothing. so cheer up Canuck Fans, all is good!!!

Spoiler

• Upvote 1

Miller is an okay player and will be helpful but the cost is nuts.

Tampa is in cap crush, uber trouble and they trade away their 4th liner for two picks.

The cost could be a top ten pick, maybe even the best player since McDavid and Mathews.

What no one is asking is Why Now?

This wasn't a trade that couldn't have been made next week when the pressure was on to create cap space?

Is this management group so naive that they don't see what pressure would do?

Is Miller the best they could do for a 1rst and third round pick from this team?

Why not offer this deal to TO and get Kapenen? Or any number of other team with RFA's they need to sign and get a younger higher scoring forward becasue Miller has peaked his ceiling has been reached.

IMO this deal was made for "the now", sold off the future for this season. Forget cap certainty with knowing the clause keeps hm here for 4 years this is a massive and huge gamble, all in.

Why make this trade now?

And yes he should be seeing a crisis counselor for the job done on him

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy

6 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Miller is an okay player and will be helpful but the cost is nuts.

Tampa is in cap crush, uber trouble and they trade away their 4th liner for two picks.

The cost could be a top ten pick, maybe even the best player since McDavid and Mathews.

What no one is asking is Why Now?

This wasn't a trade that couldn't have been made next week when the pressure was on to create cap space?

Is this management group so naive that they don't see what pressure would do?

Is Miller the best they could do for a 1rst and third round pick from this team?

Why not offer this deal to TO and get Kapenen? Or any number of other team with RFA's they need to sign and get a younger higher scoring forward becasue Miller has peaked his ceiling has been reached.

IMO this deal was made for "the now", sold off the future for this season. Forget cap certainty with knowing the clause keeps hm here for 4 years this is a massive and huge gamble, all in.

Why make this trade now?

And yes he should be seeing a crisis counselor for the job done on him

Just stop. 

Name me a few more 20+ goal scorer 50 pt players that are “4th” liners. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1