The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will this be the final nail to the coffin?

Rate this topic

kacholu

Well, the longer from the point in time where I heard we traded our 1st, until now has softened the move...……...

I hate giving up picks......

But were we stronger after we drafted Podkolzin……………..I think so, great bio's and scouting reports on him...….good start!

Is Hoglander a solid 2nd round pick...…………...well, the bio's and scouting reports, again say, he is a great pick

Now, to MIller, are we stronger today then we were yesterday? Well, yes we are. I like his bio's and scouting reports

And as I am reminded, Benning is a professional and he is paid to make those decisions

So...……….OK, let's see what happens.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Ur a Towel said:

I haven't posted here in years, but my god the over reactions to this trade... "maybe even the best player since McDavid and Mathews". Are you talking about Lafreniere? You do realize that if we miss the playoffs this pick gets pushed back to 2021 right? There's no risk of us losing out on him. If we aren't a playoff team by 2021 then we have bigger problems to worry about than losing out on a potential lottery pick.

Why now? Do you think players like Horvat are going to want to constantly miss the playoffs every year? It gets to the point where we now have a good core to build around and it takes trades like this to make it all work. Miller is just reaching his prime... he has another 4 years left on a good contract all in his PRIME. Let him play some games with us before we all overreact like this.

We have great foundational players now, who are young.  It’s time to get the holes filled, and get these young stars the support players needed to win.  We look really good for the next decade.  I’m excited about celebrating on Georgia, when we win our first Cup.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Brovat said:

Just stop. 

Name me a few more 20+ goal scorer 50 pt players that are “4th” liners. 

20 goals? Miller? Really? Okay Eriksson he had 30 a few times. Just one you may be familiar with. Do you even know when he got 20 goals? And when did he get 50 points?

How about you post that.

Benning says he is a top six forward on this team, without competing for the position, a good fit for the team, a good clause contract.

They HAD to move a 3rd round pick? No reason why but had to. Didn't shop the pick. He feels prices will drop but paid high now.

Man you have to listen to this stuff, prices too high but will come down but he traded when he thought the prices too high. That is not making it up it is his words.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

20 goals? Miller? Really? Okay Eriksson he had 30 a few times. Just one you may be familiar with. Do you even know when he got 20 goals? And when did he get 50 points?

How about you post that.

Benning says he is a top six forward on this team, without competing for the position, a good fit for the team, a good clause contract.

They HAD to move a 3rd round pick? No reason why but had to. Didn't shop the pick. He feels prices will drop but paid high now.

Man you have to listen to this stuff, prices too high but will come down but he traded when he thought the prices too high. That is not making it up it is his words.

I don't buy the first part of your comments, but I think you made a good point on your last sentence...………..

I do not think the acquisition of Miller is bad, not at all, but the price is somewhat questionable...……...

But, if Benning seen this as a buy now, or loose the chance on him, then he makes the call, and takes him.

We are better today, than yesterday...………..I guess that is all we can expect

9 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

How about you post that.

Yeah in his full seasons he broke 50 pts or came very close to it. Same for the 20 goal statement. 

Yeah the price was high to get the guy he wanted. Deal with it.

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I don't buy the first part of your comments, but I think you made a good point on your last sentence...………..

I do not think the acquisition of Miller is bad, not at all, but the price is somewhat questionable...……...

But, if Benning seen this as a buy now, or loose the chance on him, then he makes the call, and takes him.

We are better today, than yesterday...………..I guess that is all we can expect

I agree on the bolded, but if you look at what the fan base has dealt with Eriksson they expectations dont match the cost. Eriksson was brought in at 6 mill per year and expected to score those 30 goals he delivered the year before. The cost of acquiring him was zero roster assets  but the fans cant let go of his 6 million dollar price tag. If he signed here for 3 million everyone would love what he brings to the game.

Miller unfortunately will be judged the same way as he is basically now a first round draft pick and expected to be a major part of the team.

I think i will wait and see what Miller brings come October.  I am more ticked off we didnt draft a single D man. 1915

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Miller unfortunately will be judged the same way as he is basically now a first round draft pick and expected to be a major part of the team.

Benning, not Miller.

Sooner or later the players Benning gets have stop being blamed and the architect take responsibility Can't keep blaming everyone but Benning for everything, i am sure somehow Gillis get the shaft for this or the owners for interfering.

The owners i saw today interfering were the NJD and Carolina. They both had great days.

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mikeyman109 said:

I agree on the bolded, but if you look at what the fan base has dealt with Eriksson they expectations dont match the cost. Eriksson was brought in at 6 mill per year and expected to score those 30 goals he delivered the year before. The cost of acquiring him was zero roster assets  but the fans cant let go of his 6 million dollar price tag. If he signed here for 3 million everyone would love what he brings to the game.

I think i will wait and see what Miller brings come October.  I am more ticked off we didnt draft a single D man. 1915

Solid Comments

I am way past Eriksson...…………...$&!# happens

I was a little disappointed we have not moved some of our redundant players, regardless of return, but in saying that, who knows the values offered, and I am very sure that just as Benning has indicated, the unknown Cap Ceiling, really has the GM's uneasy.

So.....I get it.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Benning, not Miller.

Sooner or later the players Benning gets have stop being blamed and the architect take responsibility

I agree with that sentiment and I am a Benning backer.....for now.

Like i said earlier i am more pissed about not drafting any D in this draft than the Miller trade.

Especially when Korczack went right after Hoglund. 1915

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Solid Comments

I am way past Eriksson...…………...$&!# happens

I was a little disappointed we have not moved some of our redundant players, regardless of return, but in saying that, who knows the values offered, and I am very sure that just as Benning has indicated, the unknown Cap Ceiling, really has the GM's uneasy.

So.....I get it.

Don't forget the Eriksson stuff or it could happen again with Beagle and .....the team added to the redundant players. They know the cap was leaked by associated press last night or very early this morning, 81.5 mi I think i saw.

GM's are calling Benning constantly now, they want top picks for their 3rd/4th liners. And Miller was a 4th line player with Tampa. Benning figure he is top six here, what does that say about how far behind Benning knows the team is, this is not the first time he trades for players that don't fit, Guddy, 6 -7 on Florida, he thinks top pairing here, gone.

I don't let the Eriksson thing bother me, but i will not forget it and will bring it up everytime he pulls a similar deal.

Just for an exercise what is his best trade that helps the Canucks over his 5/6 years here?

I like Miller a lot but I was disappointed to hear about the conditional 1st. However, it’s not going to solely make or break the future of the club. The biggest question mark I have is how he plans to deal with a defence with so many holes. I really hope Benning doesn’t throw the chequebook at Myers or Gardiner because let’s be honest, they are mediocre at best and not worth the contracts they are gonna get. 

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

I like Miller a lot but I was disappointed to hear about the conditional 1st. However, it’s not going to solely make or break the future of the club. The biggest question mark I have is how he plans to deal with a defence with so many holes. I really hope Benning doesn’t throw the chequebook at Myers or Gardiner because let’s be honest, they are mediocre at best and not worth the contracts they are gonna get. 

650 reporting JB meeting with Meyers tomorrow morning. 

40 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

How about you post that.

2015  22g  43pts

2016  22g  56pts

2017  23g  58pts

2018  13g  47pts  This is the 1st season he hasn't played 82 games (other than his developmental years when he was flip flopping between NHL/AHL).

40 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

• Like 1

Miller is tough enough (and skilled enough) to make a big difference in our top 6. Also - our core is still very young and it's a good thing to have an experienced 200 ft player like Miller helping on the D side of things as well.

Losing the 1st hurts, but maybe this is one of deals that just has to happen to upgrade the team. I also think drafting Pod makes it hurt a little less since his timeline and floor makes it likely he'll add some real depth to our top 9 in two years.