The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will this be the final nail to the coffin?

Rate this topic

kacholu

It's a hard pill to swallow but I'll reserve judgement until next Draft.  We really weren't that far away from the playoffs last year. 2 big losing streaks. If we played .500 hockey instead it would have been a different story. I'm a wait and see how next year plays out. 

And if you want to keep guys like Bo And Bess around you need to surround them with good players and take this team to the next level which in our case Is the playoffs. I dont expect a cup next year or the year after but progress goes along way to giving our core confidence  long term and keeping them around 

Edited by JusticeDjango
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

20 goals? Miller? Really? Okay Eriksson he had 30 a few times. Just one you may be familiar with. Do you even know when he got 20 goals? And when did he get 50 points?

How about you post that.

Benning says he is a top six forward on this team, without competing for the position, a good fit for the team, a good clause contract.

They HAD to move a 3rd round pick? No reason why but had to. Didn't shop the pick. He feels prices will drop but paid high now.

Man you have to listen to this stuff, prices too high but will come down but he traded when he thought the prices too high. That is not making it up it is his words.

Are you for real? Exactly how many 3rd rounders make the nhl, news flash sir, 2nd rounds are a "maybe", late first rounds are strong "maybe", mid first are "probably" and top 5 are usually a gimme but since when do you think losing a 3rd round pick is that important when you get a upgrade on your top 6 to compliment the STYLE of the players you have already?  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I'm optimistic that THIS time, Bennings trade strategy of sell low, buy high is gonna work dammit!!!   We don't need no stinkin first and third rounders no more!  We gonna make the playoffs and win the Cup next season!  All we needed was one more 13 goal scorer to add to our stable of other playoff beasts like Beagle, Sutter, Granlund, Baerchi, Spooner, Eriksson, whom we are lucky are all still here too. Along with the same elite D core. The R word is done!  WooHoo!

And if he follows through with this MO, Myers will be a Canuck for the next 7 years @ 7 mill cap hit. .

I can hardly wait.

:mellow:

I think Gardiner is a far more impactful player than Meyers.  I would think JB will look at signing Gardiner ahead of Meyers. 

• Upvote 3

JB is essentially gambling on himself with this trade. He knows his job is on the line if we don’t make playoffs. We cannot expect for this team to tank it every year and automatically become a cup contender, it almost never works like that. I’m fine with this trade because I think our team will be much improved, but we take any big injuries and fall down the standings this trade will look bad if we’re sacrificing a lottery pick.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Type R said:

Jesus guys, has anyone looked into how Miller was utilized last year.  Googled their lineup for last year, and he centered the 4th line, can anyone confirm?  If so, then he immediately becomes our 4th or 5th best player.

This is news to you???   petey brock bo (pearson/miller)  --- toss up

Since Linden left there has been harmony between Benning and ownership.  Aquilini has endorsed the rebuild repeatedly.  TV shots of him and Benning at the draft show two guys on ghe same page.

JB is in good shape right now. I expect ownership is in no rush to change the GM unless things get much much worse. If the team keeps improving there will be continued patience. Even if the progress is relatively slow.

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

1. Miller had 50 points in New York as well. He had 43 and then 56 in his final two full seasons with the Rags, then 40 in 63 games before the trade to Tampa (and 18 in 19 after). He was behind a lot of offensive talent in Tampa and still put up 47 playing middle/bottom 6 minute

If I read these stats correctly Miller played the vast majority of the season with Stamkos. Their other winger was often Kucherov.   This is NOT a middle/bottom 6 line like I've heard many people say here. People are trying to make it sound like he was getting sloppy seconds for ice time and when he gets here he'll benefit from better ice time and linemates - he wasn't.   He had prime minutes and elite linemates.   Not saying he's terrible or bad trade,  just seems like it's a false narrative being promoted here that he's going to bust out with more opportunities or whatever here.

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/j.t.-miller

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, PlanB said:

If I read these stats correctly Miller played the vast majority of the season with Stamkos. Their other winger was often Kucherov.   This is NOT a middle/bottom 6 line like I've heard many people say here. People are trying to make it sound like he was getting sloppy seconds for ice time and when he gets here he'll benefit from better ice time and linemates - he wasn't.   He had prime minutes and elite linemates.   Not saying he's terrible or bad trade,  just seems like it's a false narrative being promoted here that he's going to bust out with more opportunities or whatever here.

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/j.t.-miller

Not sure how accurate he is but my TB fanboy rec hockey buddy was trying to tell me Miller was basically a top 6 guy for TB and had their best wingers as linemates most often.  Only player he basically never skated with for some reason or another was Point.  

Many people here trying to portray like he was buried in the lineup behind superstars when in fact he was riding shotgun with said superstars basically.   Therefore,  if he skates with EP,  we should expect 60pts, No? 

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Not sure how accurate he is but my TB fanboy rec hockey buddy was trying to tell me Miller was basically a top 6 guy for TB and had their best wingers as linemates most often.  Only player he basically never skated with for some reason or another was Point.  

Many people here trying to portray like he was buried in the lineup behind superstars when in fact he was riding shotgun with said superstars basically.   Therefore,  if he skates with EP,  we should expect 60pts, No? 

That’s pretty much why they got him right? To play in the top 6. 

8 hours ago, kacholu said:

There is no secret JB got absolutely bent over on the TB trade today. Even the Homer fans won't be able to defend him now. 

Other teams are handing out assets to take on cap dumps yet our incompetent gm hands out a 3rd AND 1st for a cap dump. This his way of taking advantage of the cap. I'm about to puke just thinking about how bad this trade is. 

Nothing against Miller but he's a 50 pt guy on TB. Do you homers really think he will get that here in Van? 

Anyways, I truly hope this will be the end of JB. We have been a train wreck ever since he's been in charge. Our farm team is a joke, our trades are a joke and let's hope he's gone before it's too far. 

U definitely fall in the dumb fan category

2 hours ago, Mlau0624 said:

We seem like complete morons where Carolina took a 1st draft pick to take Marleau and we paid one to take cap. 

#firebenning

No. We got a player with a future and an awesome cap hit. 

Not an over priced has been. (sorry Pat but there is some truth to it). 

One needs to look at the whole picture when evaluating these things. 

• Cheers 1

Just a reminder that JT Miller averaged 12:03 of ice time (Even strength) per game.

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/tampa-bay-lightning-team-stats?season=2018&category=ICE+TIME&time=0

Also, if I'm reading the first chart down below right, it indicates that JT started in the offensive zone less than 50% of the time, yet when he was on the ice Tampa generally outshot their opponents (as indicated by orange color).

Also, the second attached chart also seems to indicate that Miller's most common linemates were Cirelli and Killorn.

jt.png

jt2.png

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Upvote 1

I think we should keep all our picks until Bo shows up to the ice with a cane, and wearing depends.

Was so easy with other managers to find a line mate for the Sedins through the draft.  :sadno: 

Sucks to lose a first rounder.  Not saying I'm thrilled about that.   But if he plays on Peteys wing, then it's worth the gamble.  IMO

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Odd that if he rode shotgun with the superstars (Stamkos and Kucherov) that he'd be 7th in ice time per game among forwards. I suspect the truth is he played up and down the line up and bounced between the first and second PP unit based on injuries. 

2125518900_IceTime.thumb.jpg.feba0e88ac4a924db74bd04d1b525c1c.jpg

Edited by Baggins
  • Upvote 1