The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Arturs Silovs | G

Review of his U-18 performance from The Hockey News:

Arturs Silovs, G (Latvia)
Latvia has produced some decent goaltenders over the past few years, and Silovs, a 6-4, 203-pound behemoth, is definitely one of them. Silovs helped Latvia advance to the quarterfinals for the first time ever, his 40-save effort against Canada ranking among the best performances of the tournament. Silovs’ .918 save percentage was fourth among goalies with more than three starts and was the main reason Latvia even had a chance in a 2-1 loss to the Canadians – and if one of his own defensemen didn’t score on him, Silovs could have led the Latvians to a major upset. He wasn’t on the NHL’s Central Scouting Service’s lists this year, but Silovs made his name known with a couple of important performances for one of the weaker teams in the tournament.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Question is: does he prefer to stop pucks or prevent goals? ;) I think it's stop pucks, because he faced a lot of rubber in the U18, even though Latvia lost games. I think this was the selling point for Benning, Silovs stayed composed when facing a lot of pressure, and he made a lot of saves. Congrats to him being selected at #11 by Barrie. He could turn out to be a gem.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Question is: does he prefer to stop pucks or prevent goals? ;) I think it's stop pucks, because he faced a lot of rubber in the U18, even though Latvia lost games. I think this was the selling point for Benning, Silovs stayed composed when facing a lot of pressure, and he made a lot of saves. Congrats to him being selected at #11 by Barrie. He could turn out to be a gem.  

That is an interesting question. I interpret it as stopping pucks is more individual. Preventing goals is more team mindset. But who knows? Haha

Ian Clark on Silovs:  Very instinctive, very athletic goaltender...  far less structured development coming from Eastern Europe, which is a good thing as they're more malleable as per Ian. Calls him a "wild horse" and believes he can now give him structure and work to bring some pedigree to him and bring out the raw physical talent. 

Vancouver hasn’t had goalie issues since Cloutier left and Ian Clark and Rollie Melanson have been coaching the tenders. Definitely an area of strength in the organization for the last 13 years. I love this Silovs kid. Has the body. Definitely the compete level as well, almost carrying Latvia to a huge win vs Canada. Once Clark gets a significant amount of time with him he could be another gem.

Unfortunately Ian Clark will have three or four days with him in total here ... after that he’s going to OHL but will have good support there as well. 

Ian Clark only works with our top two netminders at the NHL level. He mentioned that it was his first time working with Demko two years ago when he got called up. 

On 6/22/2019 at 3:37 PM, GoldenAlien said:

Anybody looking for video evidence of the natural abilities the Nucks staff are referring to for Silovs, look here ^

First thing to look for in a young goaltender is how he skates.

This guy gets up from being in full splits back on to his skates, ready for the next shot with remarkable quickness. Refer to 1:25 and 2:10 to watch the guy hop back to his feet like a friggen frog.

He floats around the crease beautifully, I see exactly what they're getting at with him.

Will be watching this kid closely.

Edited by nergish
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

Ladies and gentlemen, we have another juggler!

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/patrick-johnston-canucks-like-what-they-see-in-lanky-latvian-goalie-arturs-silovs

Silovs first started playing goal when he was a six-year-old.

“My team didn’t have one. I was a forward, a right-winger,” he said. “I was pretty good at it.”

Some of those years, he didn’t have a dedicated goalie coach, but he did know that flexibility was going to be a key to success. So stretching has been a bit part of his routine for years: no yoga, no gymnastics, just stretching.

He taught himself to juggle to improve his eye tracking and hand-eye co-ordination.

Petey and Hoglander are getting some competition.  Can he ride an unicycle?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm hoping his body can withstand the style he plays. He is almost always in the butterfly. He takes up the bottom of the net at all times and leaves not much to shoot at. He looks like a taller version of Quick, which gets said about Demko as well. If he's able to track the puck as well as he plays athletically, then he has NHL goalie written all over him.

• 2 weeks later...

17 years old!    And that exaggerated “butterfly” stance almost has both pads flat on the ice or in no time at all.

Great Lateral movement..    this is a great pick for us,   his age helps us with the natural progression of the Goalies we have in the system, and that time will also help us with his development to potential.

:towel:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Having 3 good young goalie prospects is great to see.  Great internal competition that could lead to a totally different tandem in the next few years.  May even be a lot different than many of us thought.  With everyone needing a good goalie, we will have some pretty good bargaining chips to fine tune our team with. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/28/2019 at 5:46 PM, GoldenAlien said:

Ladies and gentlemen, we have another juggler!

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/patrick-johnston-canucks-like-what-they-see-in-lanky-latvian-goalie-arturs-silovs

Silovs first started playing goal when he was a six-year-old.

“My team didn’t have one. I was a forward, a right-winger,” he said. “I was pretty good at it.”

Some of those years, he didn’t have a dedicated goalie coach, but he did know that flexibility was going to be a key to success. So stretching has been a bit part of his routine for years: no yoga, no gymnastics, just stretching.

He taught himself to juggle to improve his eye tracking and hand-eye co-ordination.

Petey and Hoglander are getting some competition.  Can he ride an unicycle?

We could have a circus act as pre-game entertainment.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2019 at 2:43 PM, nergish said:

Anybody looking for video evidence of the natural abilities the Nucks staff are referring to for Silovs, look here ^

First thing to look for in a young goaltender is how he skates.

This guy gets up from being in full splits back on to his skates, ready for the next shot with remarkable quickness. Refer to 1:25 and 2:10 to watch the guy hop back to his feet like a friggen frog.

He floats around the crease beautifully, I see exactly what they're getting at with him.

Will be watching this kid closely.

One thing I notice with this is that his front-back speed isn't that high, which causes him to get out of position easily since he's more of an aggressive goaltender. This, of course, could be fixed with some coaching. He could be really good :) 

• 4 weeks later...