Sign in to follow this  
CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Arthurs Silovs | G

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Clarke must really like something about Silovs for them to sign him this early. 

That was the first thing I thought too.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He could be in the rotation in Utica any time, having been drafted out of Europe. I wonder if this means they feel

he’ll be ready for that after this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 7:42 PM, wshdrvvn said:

He could be in the rotation in Utica any time, having been drafted out of Europe. I wonder if this means they feel

he’ll be ready for that after this season. 

Aren't his CHL rights owned by Barrie?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As copied from an article in Canucks Way:

 

Silovs will likely continue to play and develop in Europe, rather than coming over to North America in 2019-20.  He did not enter the Canadian Hockey League import draft, therefore technically could join the Utica Comets or Kalamazoo Wings —  as he is not bound the CHL/NHL player agreement.

 

Interesting as I thought he was selected by Barrie in the import draft this year as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great move for this kid.  It will be good to see how he stacks up against other CHL Players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

Stacked up well in his first OHL game by all accounts. 37 saves on 39 shots. 2nd star. And a 6-2 win for Barrie over London.

 

https://ontariohockeyleague.com/gamecentre/24058/boxscore

Is London their usual powerhouse type team? Or weaker than years past? McMichael is a 1st round pick and Stranges is ranked highly for this upcoming draft are the standouts on that roster it seems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2019 at 4:55 AM, GoldenAlien said:

Nice story by Silovs' agent from after the draft:

Love that we were the first to have him on the radar!

Silov's agent knows the value of marketing - he did a great job.  Not just in marketing Silovs, but in picking the right guy to spend his effort on.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2019 at 4:24 PM, theo5789 said:

Is London their usual powerhouse type team? Or weaker than years past? McMichael is a 1st round pick and Stranges is ranked highly for this upcoming draft are the standouts on that roster it seems. 

This could be a steal of a pick

  • Hydration 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Silovs had a shootout loss over the weekend, 22 saves on 24 shots, 0.917 SAV%.  Early goings, but he's currently ranked 3rd in the OHL for save percentage (0.933) and 4th for GAA (2.27), among goalies who have played 3 or more games.  Considering this is his first time playing on North American ice, good start for the 6th rounder.  Can see why Benning signed him early. 

  • Hydration 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 9:18 PM, GoldenAlien said:

Silovs had a shootout loss over the weekend, 22 saves on 24 shots, 0.917 SAV%.  Early goings, but he's currently ranked 3rd in the OHL for save percentage (0.933) and 4th for GAA (2.27), among goalies who have played 3 or more games.  Considering this is his first time playing on North American ice, good start for the 6th rounder.  Can see why Benning signed him early

I have always wondered about this.

We drafted him, so no matter what we own his rights for 3 years regardless of if we sign him?

 

Why would we sign a prospect if he isn't likely to make the roster immediately?

Couldn't you just let them marinate and save a roster spot?

 

Is it a show of good faith and some cash for the kid?

I'm not trying to knock Arturs, or any of the kids that get signed early, just curious about the thought process.

 

Thanks for the updates, it's great how well he is doing.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

I'm not trying to knock Arturs, or any of the kids that get signed early, just curious about the thought process.

I have a suspicion that Ian Clarke saw something special in him and pushed JB to sign him. As for him coming to play in Canada; the signing may have been a factor; we will probably never know but it is nice to see him doing well. Disappointed that he didn't play last night but at least his team won.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I have a suspicion that Ian Clarke saw something special in him and pushed JB to sign him. As for him coming to play in Canada; the signing may have been a factor; we will probably never know but it is nice to see him doing well. Disappointed that he didn't play last night but at least his team won.

 

But why? We weren't about to lose him.

Maybe he wouldnt have come over, like you say.

Maybe it's about giving the kids the funding to only worry about development?

 

Do they get that ELC money right away? Or just after they turn pro?

 

Just curious, certainly not trying to argue or hate on the kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

But why? We weren't about to lose him.

Maybe he wouldnt have come over, like you say.

Maybe it's about giving the kids the funding to only worry about development?

 

Do they get that ELC money right away? Or just after they turn pro?

 

Just curious, certainly not trying to argue or hate on the kid.

I agree that we were not about to lose him and think it was more a combination of Clarke really liking him, wanting him to come over to play in N.A. and providing him with the capital to do that.

 My understanding is that he would receive the signing bonus of 85k right away even though he is playing in juniors and that would have helped him greatly in making the move across the pond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I agree that we were not about to lose him and think it was more a combination of Clarke really liking him, wanting him to come over to play in N.A. and providing him with the capital to do that.

 My understanding is that he would receive the signing bonus of 85k right away even though he is playing in juniors and that would have helped him greatly in making the move across the pond.

Makes sense.  Heck yeah 85k would be huge for these kids.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.