The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Karel Plasek | RW

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
On 11/15/2020 at 10:12 AM, VancouverHabitant said:

He just suffered what looks like a clear cut concussion

Clear dirty elbow extension from the opposition.

Such a shame considering he was starting to gain a lot of confidence, and the coach was starting to give him looks up the lineup.

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Any update on his status?

He’s been playing the past week, so it looks like he wasn’t hurt seriously on that head shot. He’s played 3 games since the hit, mostly on the third line, and picked up one goal during that time.

EDIT: here’s his goal from the game 3 days ago:

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He’s been playing the past week, so it looks like he wasn’t hurt seriously on that head shot. He’s played 3 games since the hit, mostly on the third line, and picked up one goal during that time.

EDIT: here’s his goal from the game 3 days ago:

Awesome. Although he's a long-shot, he's a guy I've been keeping tabs on for a few years now. Glad to see him bounce back after that dirty hit.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just saw that Karel’s dad (who’s also named Karel Plasek) appears to have finally retired from pro hockey at age 47.

Karel Sr. played 29 seasons of Czech pro, including two seasons (2017-18 and 2018-19) on the same team (HC Prerov) as his son.

(Don’t know if that makes our guy’s nickname “Carl’s Jr,” or maybe I’m just hungry?)

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Haha 4

• 3 months later...

Plasek over the past few months has been used more in an energy role on the third line. For majority of the first half of the season he was a mainstay on the 4th line, and did not see any special teams scenarios, but now he is a consistent 3rd liner (at times used on the 2nd line) while also seeing time on the PP. One thing that is notable about his game is that he skates very well and has tons of energy, doesn't have the greatest finish but has a lot of poise when he does have the puck. 

• Like 1

Karel finishes the year in 44 games, 6 goals, and 10 points and 8 PIMS. Zero points in the 4 playoff games. What many people may consider to be underwhelming numbers and likely a prospect that has zero future, the Czech league like many European leagues heavily rely on veteran players to produce leaving young players like Podkolzin, Plasek etc to play minimal minutes. That was the tail for Plasek's career in his first 3 seasons in the Czech league.

However, Plasek assumed a bigger role this season playing a lot more frequently on the PP and was actually rolling very well offensively until he sustained his concussion early last year in 2020. Spark plug sort of player with a quick shot and quick on his feet. He isn't afraid of contact as he usually registers a hit per game and prior to his injury had developed a snarl to his game. Not entirely sure how to project his play but he is an interesting prospect. Wouldn't mind to bring him over and see what he can do in NA ice, but likelihood is that he stays in his home country until he further progresses his game to potentially earn an ELC. Not a rush either considering they hold his rights until June 1, 2023. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 months later...

super cool

hoping McDonut and Karlsson are close behind. Is Silvos confirmed to be in Abby next year? What about Utunnen?

I feel like we have a fair number of guys in the pipeline who could come to Abby

Young guys in In Van/ Abby next year:

Jasek

Lind

Gadjo

Lockwood

Plasek

Dipietro

Woo

Focht

Chatfield?

Rathbone

OJ

Silvos?

McDonut?

Karlsson ?

Utunnen

Breezer

not bad- I think for the first time ever we have a solid amount of players that are making some progress in our system since the mid/early Benning era

Edited by Canucks Curse
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

super cool

hoping McDonut and Karlsson are close behind. Is Silvos confirmed to be in Abby next year? What about Utunnen?

I feel like we have a fair number of guys in the pipeline who could come to Abby

Young guys in In Van/ Abby next year:

Jasek

Lind

Gadjo

Lockwood

Plasek

Dipietro

Woo

Focht

Chatfield?

Rathbone

OJ

Silvos?

McDonut?

Karlsson ?

Utunnen

Breezer

not bad- I think for the first time ever we have a solid amount of players that are making some progress in our system since the mid/early Benning era

Probably lose a few of those guys (ED, expiring contract, staying in Europe etc) but yes, some of our later round/longer shot guys are really starting to trickle in ::D