The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Malone | RW

The Hockey News:

Jack Malone, C, Youngstown Phantoms (USHL): The first-line center on the Phantoms, Malone is playing with Buffalo pick Brett Murray, one of the top scorers in the league. Malone has a great set of hands in tight and a nice frame to build off. The 2019 draft prospect is a Cornell commit and is up to 39 points in 36 games. NHL arrival: 2023-24

“Jack is a tremendously talented 200-foot forward,” said Head Coach Brad Patterson. “Jack makes everyone around him better by seeing plays before they happen. His athletic power is as good or better than any player we have had in our program, which bodes well for his future projection as an NHL player. He will be an asset to any organization.”
– Brad Patterson, Youngstown Phantoms Head Coach

“High motor, two-way player with good hands and flashes of dynamic skill. At his best, shows a nice second gear.”
– McKeen’s Draft Guide

• Cheers 1

Youngstown seems to be a good development program.

Producing NHLers such as Connor, Saad, Mayfield, and Sustr in recent years.

Wish he was committed to a better hockey school, but oh well. They do have former alumni Nieuwendyk and Dryden.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Wish he was committed to a better hockey school, but oh well. 

Just means he'll get all the prime minutes in the most important situations and not get pushed down the lineup by more prominent prospects imo.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

So his name is John Jack Malone? JJ Malone?

7 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

His name is officially John, but for whatever reason he goes by Jack.

Jack is a diminutive of John, like Bill is a diminutive of William.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, the Canucks haven't had a bad NCAA draft pick since Benning has been in charge. So I have faith in John Malone. Seems like a Judd Brackett pick to me. He put up good numbers for Youngstown and will probably have a big role on the Cornell team next year. I say he'll be in the NCAA for 3 years before we even consider signing him.

On a side note, at Cornell next year, he'll be teammates with Andong Song who, back in 2015, was the first China born player to be picked in an NHL draft by the New York Islanders who still own his rights... though, I don't expect Andong Song to ever sign or play with the Islanders, at this point.

16 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

John Malone is the most American name I've ever heard. 

Even better is Jack Malone.  Sounds like the lawman in an old west town.  'Stand back, boys...here comes Marshal Jack Malone".

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Honestly, I’m surprised Malone wasn’t drafted until the 6th round. You look at guys with similar USHL stats (Afanasyev, Mastrosimone, Pinto, Firstov, etc) and just about all of them were 2nd round picks. You look at his profile: skilled forward, good size, good speed, great hands, protects the puck well, etc, and what’s not to like? Watch some game film, and kid looks legit. When interviewed and profiled, he seems to be a high character guy, and a very intelligent young man. And I’ve read several first hand reports from people who’ve watched Malone live and they’ve all come away impressed. Really nothing bad to say about this kid.

Likely because of his commitment to school that made him drop.

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Likely because of his commitment to school that made him drop.

Quite possible. I read an older interview from when he was a sophomore in high school and he talked about how he’s from an “education first” family and how hockey always comes second to his studies. He talked about how long he spent choosing his college (Cornell) and all the others he visited and ultimately rejected offers from (like Harvard and Princeton). That was a while ago, and I haven’t seen him discuss his education plans recently, but there’s probably a good chance he’s one of those guys who wants to complete his full 4-year degree before going pro.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

50 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Quite possible. I read an older interview from when he was a sophomore in high school and he talked about how he’s from an “education first” family and how hockey always comes second to his studies. He talked about how long he spent choosing his college (Cornell) and all the others he visited and ultimately rejected offers from (like Harvard and Princeton). That was a while ago, and I haven’t seen him discuss his education plans recently, but there’s probably a good chance he’s one of those guys who wants to complete his full 4-year degree before going pro.

That’s ok. He’s a 6th round pick that isn’t 1 or 2 years away anyway. Kid seems to have some potential. No need to rush. Let him develop a few years and see how far he has come. We’ve got a few mid-late round picks that have gone the college route and look promising. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2019 at 7:41 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Honestly, I’m surprised Malone wasn’t drafted until the 6th round. You look at guys with similar USHL stats (Afanasyev, Mastrosimone, Pinto, Firstov, etc) and just about all of them were 2nd round picks. You look at his profile: skilled forward, good size, good speed, great hands, protects the puck well, etc, and what’s not to like? Watch some game film, and kid looks legit. When interviewed and profiled, he seems to be a high character guy, and a very intelligent young man. And I’ve read several first hand reports from people who’ve watched Malone live and they’ve all come away impressed. Really nothing bad to say about this kid.

Wow. Just reading an old copy of Hockey News 2019 draft preview. Malone was ranked 56th at that time. Two sport athlete, baseball. May have got a steal here because of his commitment to school. Nice job JB and staff. 

• Upvote 2