The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Malone | RW

18 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Don’t know what you expected at the end of the 6th round to make you unhappy about the pick. A lot of unknowns that deep in the draft. No real fallers and they’re all lottery picks. With Brackett and company picking another USHL player I was at least interested given their recent success with picks from that league.

Sorry that was a typo. I meant to say I was very happy with the pick...sorry about that. 

• 3 months later...
On 6/24/2019 at 3:03 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Quite possible. I read an older interview from when he was a sophomore in high school and he talked about how he’s from an “education first” family and how hockey always comes second to his studies. He talked about how long he spent choosing his college (Cornell) and all the others he visited and ultimately rejected offers from (like Harvard and Princeton). That was a while ago, and I haven’t seen him discuss his education plans recently, but there’s probably a good chance he’s one of those guys who wants to complete his full 4-year degree before going pro.

Wow..rejected offers from Harvard and Princeton..damn.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2020 at 2:26 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He didn’t get much opportunity this year. He was the youngest forward on the roster and one of only two 2000-born forwards on Cornell, the other being 3rd round pick Matthew Stienburg (who scored 10 points in 27 games, compared to Malone’s 8 points in 27 games).

Malone was getting mostly 4th line and 13th forward duty (and was scratched the first weekend IIRC), while playing on the #1 ranked team in the nation, with a roster that was heavy on upperclassmen and some delayed enrolment underclassmen who had a couple years on Malone.

Not a situation where you’d expect a teenage freshman to step in and just get handed minutes (like we saw, say, with Madden at Northeastern—although Tyler quickly proved deserving of being named 1C as a freshman).

Malone was generally playing limited minutes, heavily sheltered, lower QoT, checking/energy roles, and just getting his feet wet this season (although he did find his way onto the power play a couple times, a scored one of the goals on the man advantage). His minutes did increase as the season wore on. He started out getting <10 minutes a game, and moved into the teens during the new year. 

Cornell was also seriously gunning for a national championship, at least before COVID-19 reared its ugly head, so it just wasn’t a situation where any new guys, especially younger freshmen, were going to get much rope from the coaching staff.

I would expect Malone to see a serious uptick in his production next season, and he moves into a larger role, and returns with a year of college hockey experience under his belt. He still profiles as a kid with some decent upside, based on his previous success at the USHL level. Plus Cornell is a top flight program in the NCAA, so while he may not have seen much game action, I’m sure he’s been getting good development in practice, as well as having access to top level training facilities and coaching.

He’s still a long shot, of course. But he’s a player we should be patient with and just let cook for the next few years. I expect he’ll do a full 4 year stint at Cornell (especially since he’s a serious student—he’s enrolled in the Dyson School of Business at Cornell, which is one of the toughest programs to get into), graduate, possibly win a championship along the way, and then we’ll see what we have in Jack Malone.

EDIT: You won’t find much out there detailing Malone’s season (part of the reason why I wrote a lengthy post here—although lengthy posts on some our lesser known prospects is kinda my thing :lol:), but the following tweet has a decent thread discussing his results for 2019-20. I know JD Burke isn’t the most popular guy around CDC, but he at least offers some decent info on the player (and Daniel Gee also chimes in):

I see a lot of different position labels across different scouting cites ranging from a RW to a C.

Where do you think he likely projects if he ever makes the jump to pro?

10 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I see a lot of different position labels across different scouting cites ranging from a RW to a C.

Where do you think he likely projects if he ever makes the jump to pro?

Probably RW, although it depends on organizational depth.

In Utica, where they were weak down the middle, a player of Malone’s type would very likely have lined up at centre. In Vancouver, he’d almost certainly have been used as a winger.

For the most part, when he’s been on teams with enough depth to pick and choose, he’s been deployed at RW.

He’s played both wing and centre, but probably RW is what’s seen by his coaches as his “natural” position and where he has the most value. 

That said, if he wants to make it as a pro, he’ll be best served by having the versatility to play at any forward position.

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2020 at 2:26 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He started out getting <10 minutes a game, and moved into the teens during the new year. 

That is some Podkolzin type poor development. Pull him out of college and get him in the AHL now! Or wait, I forgot that this problem is only in Russia. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

He's a long term prospect. I'd say the earliest he signs an NHL contract is his 3rd year in college... but he's going to Cornell and I could see him going 4 years before inking a deal with the Canucks. He's gonna be interesting to watch.

26 minutes ago, Quantum said:

He's a long term prospect. I'd say the earliest he signs an NHL contract is his 3rd year in college... but he's going to Cornell and I could see him going 4 years before inking a deal with the Canucks. He's gonna be interesting to watch.

I think it's a strech to have expectations for this guy. Many old school NCAA coaches give the majority of ice time to Juniors/seniors, the rest sat and waited. N'Eastern is an exception hence how well Gaudette and Madden did. You really need to know NCAA coaches philospohy

• 7 months later...

Considering that the Ivy league college hockey league is shutdown for the year, Jake Malone has returned back to the USHL to play for the Youngsville Phantoms and in his second game of the belated season, had a big night.

Spent most of the year on the fourth line in Cornell posting only 2 goals and 8 points in 27 games

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-prospects-comets-podkolzin-malone-karlsson/

ack Malone – Youngstown Phantoms

Malone continued his ascent up the USHL leaderboard with another seven points in the five games he played these past two weeks. He has now eclipsed 100 points in his USHL career and is just outside the top-40 in overall points. After 35 games, he has seven goals and 31 points as he marches towards continuing his NCAA career next season with Cornell University.

Good bounce back year for Jack, had a rough go in his first season with Cornell often either playing the 4th line and occasionally scratched.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-prospects-comets-podkolzin-malone-karlsson/

ack Malone – Youngstown Phantoms

Malone continued his ascent up the USHL leaderboard with another seven points in the five games he played these past two weeks. He has now eclipsed 100 points in his USHL career and is just outside the top-40 in overall points. After 35 games, he has seven goals and 31 points as he marches towards continuing his NCAA career next season with Cornell University.

Good bounce back year for Jack, had a rough go in his first season with Cornell often either playing the 4th line and occasionally scratched.

Atta boy, Ack!:towel:

• 4 months later...