The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aidan McDonough | #25 | LW

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

The thing with McDonough is that he could be riding the hot hand of Madden and may not be as great as his stats indicate. If so, that just makes Madden that much better. So it's either that or we have a hidden gem in Aidan. Only positive news for a couple of later round picks by Benning and crew.

On the other hand, he might be helping Madden to be better, that can cut both ways. Of his four points in his last game, Madden, his line mate, was only in on two of them.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

On the other hand, he might be helping Madden to be better, that can cut both ways. Of his four points in his last game, Madden, his line mate, was only in on two of them.

Fair enough. Madden was really good last season, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt ^_^

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I'd agree with that.  We know that Madden was good without McDonough.  We don't know how good McDonough would be without Madden.  Time will tell.

Why does it matter? And we don't stress about it ,

Madden and McDonough are both Canucks prospects and if their game translates to the Nhl, we have 2/3s of a line, bo would probably kill to have domi or Anderson on his wing now and madden gets the luxury to build chemistry and atleast us fans don't have to wait to see what it will look like...

their both playing good right now and right now we could be looking at the future....

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Why does it matter? And we don't stress about it ,

Madden and McDonough are both Canucks prospects and if their game translates to the Nhl, we have 2/3s of a line, bo would probably kill to have domi or Anderson on his wing now and madden gets the luxury to build chemistry and atleast us fans don't have to wait to see what it will look like...

their both playing good right now and right now we could be looking at the future....

It doesn't matter, but it is also unlikely they will come up and form a line together. We thought this about Gadjovich and Palmu as well as EP and Dahlen. I think the point is if one guy is riding the other's coattails then we at least have one legit prospect coming from the two. If they are both gems, then that's even more golden. I'm not stressed about it and feel even less stressed knowing that we should have at least one solid prospect from this duo.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, theo5789 said:

It doesn't matter, but it is also unlikely they will come up and form a line together. We thought this about Gadjovich and Palmu as well as EP and Dahlen. I think the point is if one guy is riding the other's coattails then we at least have one legit prospect coming from the two. If they are both gems, then that's even more golden. I'm not stressed about it and feel even less stressed knowing that we should have at least one solid prospect from this duo.

I like the idea of this drafting friends/teammates. Friendly competition between friends normally pushes people

4 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

I like the idea of this drafting friends/teammates. Friendly competition between friends normally pushes people

Not saying it shouldn't be done, but there are examples that it doesn't always work out. At the end of the day the individuals will stand out or not and when they make the team, they will make new friends/teammates anyway.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Not saying it shouldn't be done, but there are examples that it doesn't always work out. At the end of the day the individuals will stand out or not and when they make the team, they will make new friends/teammates anyway.

Hyper compete athletes just want to win.  They could have their most hated enemy playing on the team and be just fine, providing that guy helps the team win.  If their closest friend hurts the team, the hyper compete guys don’t want them on the ice.  

• Cheers 2

Aidan put up 42 points in 50 USHL games last year. To say he’s riding Madden’s coattails isn’t giving McDonagh the credit he deserves. He is having a fantastic freshmen season and I hope he can continue it for another season or two because having another late round gem added to the roster is just what the Canucks need. He’s turning into another exciting find from the Canucks amateur scouting department.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Quantum said:

Aidan put up 42 points in 50 USHL games last year. To say he’s riding Madden’s coattails isn’t giving McDonagh the credit he deserves. He is having a fantastic freshmen season and I hope he can continue it for another season or two because having another late round gem added to the roster is just what the Canucks need. He’s turning into another exciting find from the Canucks amateur scouting department.

No one is suggesting that he is indeed riding his coattails. If he were though, then that just makes Madden better. If Aidan is holding his own then we have two gems instead of one, but at the very least we are getting one gem out of this duo if either one is making the other better. Not every prospect makes it, so just saying that the odds here that we get at least one solid player out this is much greater.

I don't think it's too crazy to think that a 7th round pick might be getting some help from a proven effective college player. But Benning and crew are seemingly finding gems everywhere in the draft.

19 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Found a gem in the 7th. At least looks that way thus far..

In 3 years he'll be playing some games on the Canucks.. one more year in college then one year in Utica and then some call ups to the big boys club.

How do you know that

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Why are some fans ….. I think the word is.... infatuated with prospect. I think the percentage for sub 1st round picks is around 20% ie one in every 5. Even first round picks are reckoned to be a 60% chance. :rolleyes:

In fact, they are so obsessed they tend to completely overlook critical factors like their cumulative +/- ratings.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Why gotta be a hater dude. Go run the Trump thread tonnes of negative stuff there for you to enjoy.

I'm no hater. Some may look for simplistic answers but for the life of me I cannot grasp the need to amplify beyond reason how young prospects are going to urn out to be NHL stars. It's mugs game. Think of how many draft selection the Canucks have made over the years and how many actually make it to the NHL. The standard used to be how many play 100 games and I recall Mike Penney stating Vcr was in the middle of the pack. Names and people come and go but the facts are constant