The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aidan McDonough | #25 | LW

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

It is a bit disturbing in that is how he is scoring all of his points so far but he likely has two more years to flesh out his game in other areas and become a more complete player. Next year should be a better year to evaluate his progression in that regard.

Disturbing wouldn't be the word I would use. He's a 7th round pick. I'm just glad that he's generating at all. I imagine it'll take at least 4 years if there's any expectation that he can round out his game and become a legit NHL contributor. Just enjoy this ride.

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Disturbing wouldn't be the word I would use. He's a 7th round pick. I'm just glad that he's generating at all. I imagine it'll take at least 4 years if there's any expectation that he can round out his game and become a legit NHL contributor. Just enjoy this ride.

I did say a "bit" disturbing lol. I too am glad to see any production from a 7th rounder long shot. I hope he continues to improve and expand on his overall game.

4 hours ago, Quantum said:

Madden is one of the best players in the NCAA right now. And that's after he had a great freshmen season. I'm not sure he immediately jumps into NHL action next season as a regular but I don't think it's crazy to think he'll sign with the Canucks this March. He will most likely get his run of games to burn a year off his ELC if he does turn pro at the end of this season. Financially, it makes a lot of sense to do it. And he'd be the 1C option in Utica in 2020-2021, most likely. I don't expect Brandon Sutter to be with the team next season too (I expect he gets dealt this summer to help with the Canucks cap situation since he'll be an expiring deal in 2020-2021). 

Not doubting any of it, but I don't see how you can put him into our lineup if we're in playoff contention.  Although he's got great potential, you're trying to win every game and putting in a college player has really bad optics for the players.  

Wouldn't be a good move, however if we're 6 or 8 points out with 5 games to go, then by all means. 

We have a tight knit group here, and disrupting that by sitting out one of the veterans wouldn't be my preference.  There's no rush with Madden, and he may choose to go back to college for an extra year regardless as he's only a Sophomore.  

Mcdonough has to be the biggest sleeper prospect in the whole system. Pretty impressive numbers in the NCAA for a freshman, albeit an older one. 

From the Hockey News website today

VAN: It’s Adam Gaudette all over again: the Canucks appear to have another late-round gem on their hands with Aidan Mcdonough, who also went from USHL Cedar Rapids to Northeastern University. Mcdonough, a seventh-rounder, has a point per game as a freshman with the Huskies.

Edited by Bert Diesel
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bert Diesel said:

Mcdonough has to be the biggest sleeper prospect in the whole system. Pretty impressive numbers in the NCAA for a freshman, albeit an older one. 

From the Hockey News website today

VAN: It’s Adam Gaudette all over again: the Canucks appear to have another late-round gem on their hands with Aidan Mcdonough, who also went from USHL Cedar Rapids to Northeastern University. Mcdonough, a seventh-rounder, has a point per game as a freshman with the Huskies.

Is he the kid who plays with Tyler Madden? 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JamesBlondage said:

You're bang on! Never have we been even close to this quantity and quality of prospects. I remember when our top two prospects were Rob Murphy and Steve Veillieux. Nothing against those two guys but man we've come along way! Even compared to the illustrious duo of Josh Holden and Rick Girard. Oh my the memories...

I remember a time when I held out great hope for the stylish francophone prospects Jean Marc Lanthier and Rejean Vignola!

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, zimmy said:

In my regular circles I rarely if ever feel quite ancient but will admit that often, when perusing these forms, I feel like many contributors are not exactly my contemporaries. I remember being a very young impressionable fan in the seventies who suffered through the hopelessness of the eighties (yes, save the blip of 82) and saw some light at the end of that tunnel with the coming of Trevor and Pavel. There are so many CDCers who can’t possible understand the perspective that comes with passage of that amount of time. 

I was with you

Edited by Cup2022
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Cup2022 said:

I still remember Potvin taking out are rookie line in one game in long Island painful

Late hit. After the whistle. Way after. At the knees. Billy Derlago in maybe his tenth game as a Canuck. Although the injury had little bearing on how things would unfold (I don’t think it hastened the Williams/Butler trade the following year), Dennis Potvin became, and remains, one of my most hated players. It’s a teenagers grudge admittedly, but it was brought back to the boiling point after Potvin’s derogatory take on the Sedins several years back.

and ..... I think it’s time to stop derailing the McDonough thread with all this backwards casting!!! Let’s focus on the future gents!

Edited by zimmy
  • Cheers 1

Haven't really paid much attention to AM, so went to eliteprospects and was surprised to see that he is only 3 days older than Tyler Madden.

I'd expect him to stay the full 4 years in NCAA . Hopefully he will continue to develop and be one of those late bloomers to get time in NHL. As a 7th rounder we can't expect/hope for much more really.

1 hour ago, wexcar said:

Haven't really paid much attention to AM, so went to eliteprospects and was surprised to see that he is only 3 days older than Tyler Madden.

I'd expect him to stay the full 4 years in NCAA . Hopefully he will continue to develop and be one of those late bloomers to get time in NHL. As a 7th rounder we can't expect/hope for much more really.

That's a rather long forecast considering he is still just a freshman. A bit like trying to forecast what the weather will be three months from now.

• Upvote 1