The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aidan McDonough | #25 | LW

he’s not afraid to give his freshmen chances to take on big roles from day one and really jumpstart their growth and development.

That's what impressed me as you likely know many players have a seat in the middle of the bench until they're juniors or seniors. Madigan developed Gaudette over his time at the school …. Madden straight onto the top line. McDonough has a great  opportunity in that program. certainly his freshman stats show promise 

Edited by Fred65

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

That's what impressed me as you likely know many players have a seat in the middle of the bench until they're juniors or seniors. Madigan developed Gaudette over his time at the school …. Madden straight onto the top line. McDonough has a great  opportunity in that program. certainly his freshman stats show promise 

Agreed. It’s definitely the exception to the norm (as you note). If I were to speculate, I’d say that Madigan’s years of experience as an NHL scout play a significant role in the way he coaches new recruits, especially draft picks. He understands that the cream of his crop, in terms of pure talent, may not stay in the program for a full 4 years. And that the kids who’ve been picked by NHL teams are likely more able to handle an accelerated pace of development. It serves both the team and the player well. The team gets the most out of their youngsters, while they have them, and the players get to display their potential, in meaningful roles, from the get-go. It’s also beneficial to the long term health of a college program if it can show results as a “NHL factory” that churns out successful professionals. Definitely helps with recruiting those special kids that will burn bright and quickly during their college days, before moving on the greater things in professional game..

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

https://canucksarmy.com/2020/05/27/mcdonough/

Canucks Army article on McDonough, linked for those who don’t normally frequent the pages of CA.

Some good quotes from Aidan in the piece.

EDIT: Was especially happy to read how he’s itching to get back to Vancouver and BC, and also how he doesn’t seem to take school too seriously (always a nice perk with a college draftee and the free agency thing ;)).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

I could see McDonough signing this summer.  He is a year or two older than most college Freshman.  With our cap contraints over the next two years, we are going to need a steady stream of guys on ELC's ready to step in and fill holes.  I'm sure JB is anxious to get him signed and into our development system as soon as he can.

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

https://canucksarmy.com/2020/05/27/mcdonough/

Canucks Army article on McDonough, linked for those who don’t normally frequent the pages of CA.

Some good quotes from Aidan in the piece.

EDIT: Was especially happy to read how he’s itching to get back to Vancouver and BC, and also how he doesn’t seem to take school too seriously (always a nice perk with a college draftee and the free agency thing ;)).

This kids big advantage is playing for Madigan. He's afforded the kid to develop. The question I'd like the answer to is, is MacDonough in the USHL and then recommended  to N'Eastern ie a mutual decission, Vcr scouts and Madigan. Is there a tie between N'Eastern and Vcr

• 5 months later...
On 5/27/2020 at 12:49 PM, Fred65 said:

This kids big advantage is playing for Madigan. He's afforded the kid to develop. The question I'd like the answer to is, is MacDonough in the USHL and then recommended  to N'Eastern ie a mutual decission, Vcr scouts and Madigan. Is there a tie between N'Eastern and Vcr

I think the NHL amateur scouts are aware of these kids, and often having discussions with the college scouts, but players like McDonough really get on NHL teams’ radar when they’re recruited and committed to NCAA programs. The college recruiters kind of skim the cream off those feeder leagues, and NHL scouts are basically handed a list of players that the colleges think are “good enough,” which obviously boosts those kids in the rankings. 

(EDIT: there’s not a literal list shared between scouts, but just that college recruitment is no secret, and you can basically look up every NCAA team’s commitments for the next couple years, so every NHL team scouting staff knows which kids are going to the college programs and that plays a factor in how those kids are valued for the draft.)

Also helps when you have a guy like Judd Brackett being the friend and summer neighbour of Coach Madigan. Pretty obvious that those guys talk to each other, and there was some cross pollination, between Van and NU, while Brackett was here.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 8:54 AM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I do believe we are looking at another lock to be an  energy 3rd liner at the least....just needs another half-step and that's about it....

I believe Chris Faber interviewed him i'd say recently (since summer) and he said he has gained a step or two. I just tried looking for it and of course can't find it. I'll look some more and post it below if I do!

It is episode 113 of Canucks Conversation, but I can't find that episode for some reason. I see 115,114,112 but of course 113 is missing..

Edited by Outsiders
  • Cheers 3

• 2 weeks later...